Brake Fluid reservoir empty - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2018, 12:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry Brake Fluid reservoir empty

My bikes been sitting for a couple of weeks, I jump on it and take it out for a spin and I have no rear brake. I check my lines they look good no leaks and then I check my brake fluid reservoir and it is bone dry. There's also some dried up white residue on the bottom of the reservoir, I'm assuming its brake fluid. Had no noticeable problems with the brakes the last time I rode it. Is there anything I can check, again, I couldn't find any visible evidence of leaks except on the hose where it runs under the gas overflow hose, at least I think that's the gas overflow hose/ and it's not a lot, just a collection of residue but it is black and oily. any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

AD
eadani02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

Start by cleaning the entire area up as that will be the only way to track something down. The fill up with new fluid and see what happens as the rear system is pretty simple.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Post pics of the white residue inside the rear brake fluid reservoir. Plus a pic of the reservoir mounted on the bike. Plus a pic of the other hose you mentioned not being certain what it is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2018, 06:50 AM   #4 (permalink)

Check your pads. If the brakes stuck on for some reason it can heat up and boil/evaporate the fluid. With the torque we have, this can happen without you noticing. In this case your pads may show extra wear and possibly scorching color or warping.
bruce59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

This must have been coming for a long time for the reservoir to be bone dry, as the Warriors rear reservoir and line to the master cylinder hold way more fluid than needed for the rear caliper. (I'm not running a rear reservoir at all, just the capped off line. A trick I learned from others on this site.)

My guess is that the small bit of oil you see is a small leak that has been there for a very long time. Check the things mentioned so far.

05 Speedstar Stage IV

Brizzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Here are the pictures. When I first saw the residue I removed a chuck of it with my hand. There is a small amount left in the reservoir and it's on my finger for closer inspection. Brought some Yamalube brake fluid Dot 3 and 4. Will check the brake pads later today and see what they look like. Thanks for all the comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6957.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	212280   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6955.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	187.8 KB
ID:	212282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6953.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	299.5 KB
ID:	212284   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6952.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	280.3 KB
ID:	212286   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6950.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	212288  

Old 11-24-2018, 05:55 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Okay so the stock rear reservoir has been nicely relocated under the seat. The other hose is probably a vent line as you suspected. I only say that because I am certain you have already visually verified the brake line hose from the caliper up to the reservoir is in good condition.

That chunk of white material being inside the reservoir is odd even for boiling-away the brake fluid. I have seen dark bits but not white. Maybe a synthetic brake fluid boils to white, dunno.

If it were me I would inspect the entire relocated line between caliper and reservoir including the pedal's cylinder and line. I would remove and clean the reservoir, looking for broken or cooked plastic. I would replace the reservoir if indicated then rebuild the rear caliper (Yamaha kit is affordable) and replace rear friction material and the pins and clips plus the keeper springs.

Along the way you are likely to find a bunch of chunks in the caliper pistons etc.

Have you added fluid before, in the past. and if yes which DOT number? Have you reviewed the owner manual or the free e-copy of the service manual yet?

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-25-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Keeping this separate. You might need to clean both sides of the rear rotor. Looks like if you raise the rear wheel off the ground and put in neutral so the rear tire can be spun by hand, the deed can be done both sides easily. One rotor face at a time. You could use a good quality 400-grit wet-dry sandpaper. Quarter a sheet. Use a thin wood block as paper support to keep the hand-pressure equal across the rotor. Apply light pressure and smoothly rotate the rear wheel. It could take a few sheets. When clean enough, wipe with a water-damp paper towel to remove debris then dry with a clean paper towel.

I am very interested in what you find and what you learn as you go through this inspection and repair. Something seems very odd. I even wonder if the heat source for cooking off the brake fluid is under the rear seat adjacent to its modified home. And I wonder about reservoir integrity.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-24-2018 at 06:12 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

I switched to Amsoil brake fluid about a year and a half ago. I purchased the current Dot 3 and 4 brake fluid today from the Yahama dealer here in Dubai. They said it was the only brake fluid they had and they used it on all their systems. I can go out and find a singular brake fluid, but assumed since it was a yahama lube product it would be fine to use. When I looked online they only had Dot 4 online and there was no yahama dot 3 or dot 3 & 4 brake fluid. Not sure what’s up with that.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:48 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yes I’m also using the service manual. Are you referring to the 5PX-2580W-00-00 CALIPER ASSY, REAR 2 from the parts list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion