Tuning/mapping question. - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Tuning/mapping question.

Just had my bike dyno tuned with what appears to be the Baron's BAK, Sampson Ripsaw exhaust with baffles, Ivan's ECU flash, AIS delete and PCIII. I am think of changing to the VBAK setup, and possibly changing exhaust (Cobra Swept), as I really dig the look. How much is that going to mess with the tune? Will I run more rich or lean? Is there a map that I can download, or can I go into the PCIII and make changes manually.
I apologize for all the questions. I just want to make sure my ducks are in a row before I pull the trigger on anything.

Last edited by i-man; 04-10-2019 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Additional information added.
i-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2019, 09:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

When I purchased my Warrior it had a map loaded in the PC3 which, based on the notes in the map, I don't believe was a custom tune (or at least it didn't start there). The set-up was as follows:
- Stock air box
- AIS intact
- Bubs Jug Huggers (VERY free flowing exhaust)
- PC3
Looking at the map in it now it looked like it was leaned out considerably compared to stock.

As of tonight (waiting on exhaust piece I broke... thanks again, MadTom!) this is what she'll be sporting:
- Churchkey VBAK
- AIS delete
- Cobra Swept exhaust with baffles
- PC3
I intend on uploading the burrito map tonight. If you don't know what that is just search on google for "rswarrior burrito map". Or just go here: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/23-...rrito-map.html
The only changes I might make are to up the zeros in the first three columns to control backfire on deceleration.
The maps are pretty close but burrito map does seem to add significant more fuel (make richer) to the lower 2/3 throttle position columns compared to my current map. I think that makes sense as the VBAK should theoretically be introducing more air... so I should need more fuel to keep the correct A/F ratio... at least that is how I am thinking about it.

Hopefully she runs strong with this map until I can find the time to get a custom tune done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAPS1.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	214262  
DirtieGirtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The BAK and VBAK are similar enough.

The Exhausts are similar enough depending on baffles.

Your map might be fine, or close enough to hand-tune by reading spark plugs. Before paying for another dynotune consider investing in a Cobra CVT tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-10-2019, 05:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
The BAK and VBAK are similar enough.

The Exhausts are similar enough depending on baffles.

Your map might be fine, or close enough to hand-tune by reading spark plugs. Before paying for another dynotune consider investing in a Cobra CVT tuner.
Thanks for the reply. Question. What does the Cobra fuel tuner do that the PCIII does not?

Old 04-14-2019, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i-man View Post

Thanks for the reply. Question. What does the Cobra fuel tuner do that the PCIII does not?
I think the Cobra fi2000 is more geared towards Cobra brand add ons? Pretty sure it does the same thing messing with air and fuel ratios. A PC3 should do just fine.

I just uploaded the Burrito map to my PCV and went for a spin. Feels like a whole new bike. Definitely give it a try.
warriorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have ridden my bike for about two hours since putting the Cobra swept exhaust in her and loading the slightly modified burrito map.

I have a bit more backfire, but only for the first 3 minutes of riding. After that there is nearly none. She is definitely more torquey and I don't feel any rough or sluggish spots.

As for the exhaust... It's awesome. I love the sound. I have the baffles in and she is plenty loud. Here's a pic from today...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190414_171044_583_1555287640070.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	214366  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Sweet ride!

Old 04-14-2019, 11:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

There are standard cobra tuners needing adjustment (usually 3 pots). They seem to arrive setup for cobra exhausts, no matter what the box is labeled, but can be tuned for most anything.

Then there are the Cobra CVT auto-tuners. My choice. Works great.

The Power Commanders can be dynotuned but great tuning vendors are not easy to find. And changes require re-dynotune. It's possible to take time and DIY-tune and dial it in better than any other fuel manager can, imo. But it takes soooooo much time. It got to the point I wanted to ride, not tune. The CVT tuners are close enough for me.

Quote:

Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtieGirtie View Post
When I purchased my Warrior it had a map loaded in the PC3 which, based on the notes in the map, I don't believe was a custom tune (or at least it didn't start there). The set-up was as follows:
- Stock air box
- AIS intact
- Bubs Jug Huggers (VERY free flowing exhaust)
- PC3
Looking at the map in it now it looked like it was leaned out considerably compared to stock.

As of tonight (waiting on exhaust piece I broke... thanks again, MadTom!) this is what she'll be sporting:
- Churchkey VBAK
- AIS delete
- Cobra Swept exhaust with baffles
- PC3
I intend on uploading the burrito map tonight. If you don't know what that is just search on google for "rswarrior burrito map". Or just go here: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/23-...rrito-map.html
The only changes I might make are to up the zeros in the first three columns to control backfire on deceleration.
The maps are pretty close but burrito map does seem to add significant more fuel (make richer) to the lower 2/3 throttle position columns compared to my current map. I think that makes sense as the VBAK should theoretically be introducing more air... so I should need more fuel to keep the correct A/F ratio... at least that is how I am thinking about it.

Hopefully she runs strong with this map until I can find the time to get a custom tune done.
I downloaded and installed burrito yesterday afternoon. Took the bike out for a ride and it feels great.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I downloaded and installed burrito yesterday afternoon. Took the bike out for a ride and it feels great.
Awesome! I'm really happy with that map so far.

Question: Did you get any popping for the first couple of minutes? It hasn't been really warm here (50's each time I took her out) and it cleared up within 3-5 minutes, just wondering if you had a similar experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion