Disassemble of Mirrors - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Disassemble of Mirrors

My mirrors have seen better days. They look good but serve no function because the sag immediately upon acceleration.

I tried to look for aftermarket ones but wanted one feature specifically; I wanted to be able to tighten, or lock down, the ball joint after I got the mirror positioned the way I wanted. The only ones I found that have this feature are the cheap ones from Krator. I have these on my VTX. They were $20 and really pretty decent for the money. They have two small screws on opposite sides of the ball joint that you can tighten and it really holds the mirror in place. Unfortunately the set I had lying around looked ridiculous on the Warrior. The only ones that seemed to look decent were $35. Still chump change compared to real brand mirrors, but I figured, "Why not try to take the stock ones apart? The worst I can do is destroy them."

Step 1: Remove the glass.
I used a heat gun (see pic 1 and 2) and a couple of flat head screw drivers. I spent about 4 minutes slowly heating it up. I'm guessing if you heat it up too fast the glass will break. And if you pry with the screw drivers before the adhesive hearts up and softens the glass will break. I got lucky and the glass didn't break (See pic 3). It turns out it's just three pieces of double sided tape holding the glad in.

Step 2: Remove back plate.
Once the glass was off I had to remove the screws. The back plate was actually adhered to a layer of foam on my right side mirror (two pieces of foam in right side, one in left side). The left one was not adhered. Both of them came out pretty easy. (See pic 4) Note: the foam has weights in it. In guessing the weights reduce the mirror vibration. The right side has more weight/foam because of the different stem length... It has a different harmonic frequency so needs a different weight.

Step 3: Tighten the ball joint.
See that Phillips head screw under the foam? Under the screw is a spring and then the ball joint. I just tightened it. But the screw head stripped pretty easily so I went crazy... I poured grizzly glue (polyurethane glue) on the joint from the inside. I realize I will only have one chance to get it set at the correct angle but I didn't want to take it apart again. I put it all together, mounted it on the bike, and set the angle. This morning it's completely locked in position. Note; on the left side mirror I was able to tighten the screw but the spring under it deformed. Thinking back I should have taken the screw out and replaced the spring with with a washer so it would be nearly locked in place. Oh well.

I'll let you know how the work after I take her out this afternoon. So far I'm happy with the results.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_172935300_1555247480642.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	179.2 KB
ID:	214334   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_173241135_1555247872374.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	172.5 KB
ID:	214340   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_173444454_1555247909976.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	214342   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190413_173819939_1555247943960.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	214344  

Last edited by DirtieGirtie; 04-14-2019 at 09:29 AM.
DirtieGirtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2019, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
bp1

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/att...1&d=1555278991

Never budge and pretty good visibility
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rizoma dynamic universal mirror.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	214360  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

D,

Nice, always wondered how to take this apart. Now I know. I drilled a hole in the chrome bit to fix the rattle, how wrong was I... Next set will use this to fix the rattling counter weight. Thanks

Dutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtieGirtie View Post
My mirrors have seen better days. They look good but serve no function because the sag immediately upon acceleration.

I tried to look for aftermarket ones but wanted one feature specifically; I wanted to be able to tighten, or lock down, the ball joint after I got the mirror positioned the way I wanted. The only ones I found that have this feature are the cheap ones from Krator. I have these on my VTX. They were $20 and really pretty decent for the money. They have two small screws on opposite sides of the ball joint that you can tighten and it really holds the mirror in place. Unfortunately the set I had lying around looked ridiculous on the Warrior. The only ones that seemed to look decent were $35. Still chump change compared to real brand mirrors, but I figured, "Why not try to take the stock ones apart? The worst I can do is destroy them."

Step 1: Remove the glass.
I used a heat gun (see pic 1 and 2) and a couple of flat head screw drivers. I spent about 4 minutes slowly heating it up. I'm guessing if you heat it up too fast the glass will break. And if you pry with the screw drivers before the adhesive hearts up and softens the glass will break. I got lucky and the glass didn't break (See pic 3). It turns out it's just three pieces of double sided tape holding the glad in.

Step 2: Remove back plate.
Once the glass was off I had to remove the screws. The back plate was actually adhered to a layer of foam on my right side mirror (two pieces of foam in right side, one in left side). The left one was not adhered. Both of them came out pretty easy. (See pic 4) Note: the foam has weights in it. In guessing the weights reduce the mirror vibration. The right side has more weight/foam because of the different stem length... It has a different harmonic frequency so needs a different weight.

Step 3: Tighten the ball joint.
See that Phillips head screw under the foam? Under the screw is a spring and then the ball joint. I just tightened it. But the screw head stripped pretty easily so I went crazy... I poured grizzly glue (polyurethane glue) on the joint from the inside. I realize I will only have one chance to get it set at the correct angle but I didn't want to take it apart again. I put it all together, mounted it on the bike, and set the angle. This morning it's completely locked in position. Note; on the left side mirror I was able to tighten the screw but the spring under it deformed. Thinking back I should have taken the screw out and replaced the spring with with a washer so it would be nearly locked in place. Oh well.

I'll let you know how the work after I take her out this afternoon. So far I'm happy with the results.
NL_NZ_SA_AU
Flyingdutchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp1 View Post
https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/att...1&d=1555278991

Never budge and pretty good visibility
BP1 - Any info on the mirrors? Brand or model?
DirtieGirtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtieGirtie View Post
BP1 - Any info on the mirrors? Brand or model?
They are Rizoma Dynamic mirrors. They come in black, natural, and polished. Rizoma makes some fantastic stuff.

https://sportbikes4hireshop.com/prod...ynamic-mirror/
i-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion