Process For Bolting Up Exhaust Pipes - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2019, 11:36 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
My V&H pipes were tight. Not easy install. I remember looking into this and it seemed like some were tight, some were not. Never got to the bottom of it but always wondered if the California Warrior version was somehow a 1/4 longer between jugs lol, or if was differnces in pipes.
Stretch ... This early enclosed thread might be of interest to you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh View Post
Just read through that link. Does anyone know how to fix flanges that have been bent? Mine did this same thing, and this thread gives a good way to prevent it from happening, but is there anything that can be done once they are bent?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Diesel_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 04:30 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
My V&H pipes were tight. Not easy install. I remember looking into this and it seemed like some were tight, some were not. Never got to the bottom of it but always wondered if the California Warrior version was somehow a 1/4” longer between jugs lol, or if was differnces in pipes.
Thanks. Laughing at myself now. I could’ve just slotted the holes on the flange and saved a headache!

Last edited by Stretch; 06-11-2019 at 07:59 PM.
Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2019, 05:08 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Warrior View Post
Just read through that link. Does anyone know how to fix flanges that have been bent? Mine did this same thing, and this thread gives a good way to prevent it from happening, but is there anything that can be done once they are bent?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Yes there is with a good bench vise and an additional set of hands to help hold the exhaust.

You'll want to remove the heat shield and pay attention to NOT pinching the exhaust pipe under the flanges. Also one or two 12" high quality adjustable wrenches to help tweak the flanges.

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #25 (permalink)

Are you absolutely certain there are no gaskets? These aren't a flat piece of asbestos paper, or stamped metal, they appear to be a crushable flex style gasket.

I just replaced a set of Samson drag pipes. At first I didn't see the gaskets. I fiddled about with where they should be, fingernail picking and scraping, and sure enough, they were there.

It's worth a double check before putting gaskets in, possibly on top of old gaskets.
Bummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 10:37 PM   #26 (permalink)

Hey BUMMER- there was no gaskets of any kind on either of the exhaust ports on the jugs. I was shocked that there wasn't any. For some reason they didn't leak before I removed them.

I didn't bother installing new gaskets because I will be replacing them soon with custom made exhaust pipes. At that time I will put in new gaskets. For now, there isn't any leaks that I can detect.

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-11-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Wolfhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 11:14 PM   #27 (permalink)

alanh- Its obvious from some of the posts, that some of the guyz had no problems re-hanging their exhaust pipes. The holes in the flanges must of lined up perfectly.

But we had to really pull hard on the inside pipe to get that last hole to line up, and it just barley lined up, but was tight starting that bolt. I'm 98% sure that I didn't strip the thread on that last bolt. I'm sure something wasn't built correctly, maybe the flange holes were drilled a little off center ???

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-11-2019 at 11:16 PM.
Wolfhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion