Process For Bolting Up Exhaust Pipes - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2019, 11:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Process For Bolting Up Exhaust Pipes

I am a new owner of a 2006 Warrior. I bought the cruiser from the original owner who let the bike sit most of the past 13 yrs in the garage. So I have been learning about the bike while working on getting the maintenance done.

I had no choice but to unbolt the exhaust pipes to work on changing the lube oil in the gear box. I watched the Warrior videos how to remove the exhaust pipes, but they don't show the process for bolting it back up, which probably included a few choice words !!!

I don't know if this is suppose to be a 2 man operation ?? I have been trying to do it by myself with no luck. Front cylinder was very tuff lining up so I started with getting the front exhaust pipe lined up and working towards the back. I left the 2 nuts off that bolt the tail end of the exhaust to the frame to give me room to jockey the pipes.

As you can see from the pics I took, I run into the problem of not being able to get the inside bolt on the back cylinder lined-up no matter how much I tried jockeying the pipes around.

The 3 bolts/nuts that I was able to start are very loose, connected with only a few threads, allowing me more movement of the pipes.

What the youtube videos don't show is if I have to take the front left foot rest off, which looks like I would be opening up another can of worms trying to get reassembled.

Any advice how to proceed to get the pipes button back up to the cylinders ??? I notice there wasn't any gaskets front or back cylinder. But there wasn't any exhaust leaking around the flanges.

Also in the 2nd pic, a red arrow points to a small nut that fell off from the front of the bike onto the ground when I was removing the pipes. It is sitting on the ground below Left foot break. Anyone know were it goes ?? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	215626   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	215628   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	215630   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	349.3 KB
ID:	215632   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	548.2 KB
ID:	215634  

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-09-2019 at 02:28 AM.
Wolfhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2019, 11:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Is it possible for that flange to spin around 180 degrees, and does that make a difference at all? If you took ot off then I would think it has to be possible to put it back on. Also, you're going to want to put the exhaust gaskets in there. I wonder if that has something to do with it not aligning properly?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Diesel_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 11:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I was not able to remove the pipes completely from the bike because of that chrome wire curve bar near the stock left foot rest/break that keeps your boot from burning, it also traps the front pipe near the cam cover from moving around very much. See pic 2. But unbolting the exhaust pipes gave me just enough clearance to get to the bolts on the gear box cover to be able to change the lube oil

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-09-2019 at 02:32 AM.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

Diesel Warrior- tomorrow I'll try spinning the flange 180 on the back cylinder to see if it makes a difference.

For those of you who have re-installed the exhaust pipes, have you been able to handle the process by yourself without help ???

I am waiting on my Graffeo pipes. When I get them, I will install new exhaust gaskets at the same time. Thanks

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-09-2019 at 02:22 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wolfhead- I was able to handle it by myself but I am running a different set-up (Samson Groundpounders) so the issue with the wire on the foot controls was a non-issue. I am running different foot controls also. I did find it advantageous to get the front pipe pretty well tight (Tight enough that the gasket is almost seated yet loose enough to allow some wiggle room) which allowed the back pipe to line up with the flange a bit better. I'm not going to lie, it did take me a bit of time to get it all right but with the help of few beers I was able to get it taken care of. One word of advice, once you get them on, take it for a short ride and run it through a heat/cool cycle and re-torque your fasteners... or you may lose some of them, trust me, I know from experience in this matter! Hope this helps!
thenighthawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks NightHawker for the tip. Makes good sense, the hot/cold cycle and then re-torque !!

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-09-2019 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You have the Speedstar (S*) exhaust. You are better off to uninstall. It takes me about ten minutes to drop the exhaust and reinstall.

Drop the rider peg with heat shield. Then loosen and remove the bolts holding the muffler. It will separate from the header collector and has a re-usable gasket.

Loosen and remove both front header pipe to front jug fasteners. Loosen and remove both bolts at the rear jug.

This header set installs with re-usable gaskets at the jugs just check their condition.

With the front and back header pipes in your hands, install the front first, and thread the nuts on a bit. Then swing the back into place and you will be able to fasten it. If you pulled against the header pipes you might have bent a flange they should be flat.

Then give the hung header a little shake so it falls into place, then with all four fasteners installed but loose, gently hang the muffler with a small rotation motion so it slips into the gasket. Then loosely install the muffler fasteners, give it one more shake so it aligns.

Tighten the front. Then the back. Then the muffler. Then gently torque in same sequence front to back. Then re-hang the rider peg with heat guard.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:37 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wolfhead,

-First off, congrats on a great looking bike as she is a beauty. I concur with everything that arizonawarrior said in the response he left you. I had recently did a complete rebuild on my RSW and had a heck of a time trying to re-install my Cobra Speedster exhaust with the very same issues you are having with lining up the flanges to the studs on the cylinder heads. I removed the exhaust and disassembled it, as it came from the factory and re-installed it that way with no issues and at a fraction of the time. Anyhow, try what AZW said and let us know how you fared. Hope this helps.
Rg
InfidelXV1700pcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 02:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll work on getting the exhaust installed today, keeping in mind the advise from ALL of you guyz who responded to my post for help. Much appreciated. I'm glad that the original owner I bought the bike from told me about the RSWarrior blog. He told me it was a go too for help and education.

PS: After this experience, I can't wait to get my Graffeo custom pipes on backlog that will be much shorter in length; allowing me to change the lube oil and remove the back wheel without having to touch the pipes.

Last edited by Wolfhead; 06-09-2019 at 02:17 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

My experience is if you remove the heat shield it goes on like butter. Idk why but it helped immensely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lilcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion