3 Plate clutch mod - What did I do wrong? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2019, 09:59 PM  

Default 3 Plate clutch mod - What did I do wrong?

I just completed the 3 plate clutch mod with the Barnett Pressure plate with the standard gold springs.
Everything went together well. I torqued everything per the write up. But I basically have no clutch. At the lever I have NO resistance. The same is true at the cable attachment at the case. I can move it through the full range of travel. Its almost like I left something out. But I have all the correct removed parts. I'm going to open it up again this weekend. It still has no oil in it yet and has not been started. My only guess is I did not sufficiently seat the pressure plate. But it did torque.

Any suggestions from those that have completed this would be appreciated.

Rich Q.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2019, 10:45 PM  

I have a video of it helps. Here is a link to my channel, there's a video over the three plate mod install. Check it out and see if you forgot something. Was there any okay in the friction players when it was all installed? When you put the case back together were the teeth on the middle piece that engages the clutch pointing towards the back?

https://youtu.be/EPQC6yjxRBY

Last edited by Bryanmcmeekin; 06-10-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:00 AM  

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by raq1025 View Post
But I basically have no clutch. At the lever I have NO resistance. The same is true at the cable attachment at the case. I can move it through the full range of travel. Its almost like I left something out. But I have all the correct removed parts. I'm going to open it up again this weekend. It still has no oil in it yet and has not been started. My only guess is I did not sufficiently seat the pressure plate. But it did torque.

Any suggestions from those that have completed this would be appreciated.

Rich Q.
Sounds like the push/pull lever may be set to far out.

The push rod comes to mind and it sounds like it's not in there.*

Your saying you can grab the pull lever on the clutch cover and move it all the way towards the cable mount by hand? If so then it's gotta be the push rod that goes in the center of the Pressure plate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036

Old 06-11-2019, 04:19 AM  
Super Moderator

+1.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:31 PM  

Bryan,

Thanks man. I actually have watched your video repeated before and after working on the bike. Itís very helpful and actually prompted me to attempt the upgrade. It just doesnít insight into buttoning up the cover. But in reviewing your video after my issue, I am going to make sure there is no play in the clutch pack.

RIJ1,

I did play around with the positioning of that arm. I noticed that as I put the case back the arm rotated. Do you recall any tips on how / where to set the push pull rod?

Rich Q.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:55 PM  

^^^
You can't install the Engine Clutch Cover flush unless the Pull Rod teeth are facing the rear UNLESS you used extreme Force by drawing the cover with the mounting screws

This should help... you need to reposition the Pull Lever per enclosed jpeg.
If you can't get any CCW resistance then you didn't seat the Barnett PP properly

- Starting System
&

&

Old 06-11-2019, 05:02 PM  

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by raq1025 View Post
Bryan,

RIJ1,

I did play around with the positioning of that arm. I noticed that as I put the case back the arm rotated. Do you recall any tips on how / where to set the push pull rod?

Rich Q.
In the middle pic from AlanH, you'll wanna move that lever by hand or with pliers till you get stiff resistance.(Not the spring resistance) then measure. Just get close to the measurements.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
Old 06-11-2019, 10:38 PM  

Thanks guys. With those images & details Iím confident I can get it back together. I wonít be attempting this until the weekend but will follow up with my results.

Rich Q.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 AM  

As has been said it sounds like the lever arm adjustment. When I did mine I had to take it apart and put it back together a time or two to get everything in the right place. Instructions can be a little misleading when you read them the first time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion