Warrior Gas Milage - Page 5 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2019, 07:50 AM   #41 (permalink)

What kind of RPM are you turning at those speeds? 😄
CrustyGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2019, 10:04 AM   #42 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The tips are flat and they do not appear wet and the threaded area does not show signs of over heating. The bike probably needs tune adjustment toward more lean in the lower rpm range. Maybe -1. Carefully clean the crusty bits off all four of them, reinstall (consider new crush washers to avoid over-torque) and ride for a week then recheck. Ignore getting too detailed for riding style. Just ride it the way you always ride. It will be good for this situation. If the bike backfires when fully warm after this adjustment then set it back where it was. It could be you are riding in town and need to get out on the open road to check mpg.

I question if this alone accounts for your low mileage per gallon. You might record exactly how much fuel you fill-up with, then ride to light and quick as able fill-up to same tank level again. Remember to stand the bike up to vertical and gently shake from the handlebars to dislodge any air trapped in lines. Fill to same level best you can. Like bottom of filler hole plate.

Do this three times, fill ride fill record trip meter and odometer for later. Then calculate miles per gallon for each instance. The first is often skewed.

Can you smell fuel after shut-off or while riding or idling?

Has your fuel tank ever needed dent repair?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 07-30-2019 at 10:07 AM.
arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:29 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyGeezer View Post
3k RPM at 80mph on the highway typically.

DesertRider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
The tips are flat and they do not appear wet and the threaded area does not show signs of over heating. The bike probably needs tune adjustment toward more lean in the lower rpm range. Maybe -1. Carefully clean the crusty bits off all four of them, reinstall (consider new crush washers to avoid over-torque) and ride for a week then recheck. Ignore getting too detailed for riding style. Just ride it the way you always ride. It will be good for this situation. If the bike backfires when fully warm after this adjustment then set it back where it was. It could be you are riding in town and need to get out on the open road to check mpg.

I question if this alone accounts for your low mileage per gallon. You might record exactly how much fuel you fill-up with, then ride to light and quick as able fill-up to same tank level again. Remember to stand the bike up to vertical and gently shake from the handlebars to dislodge any air trapped in lines. Fill to same level best you can. Like bottom of filler hole plate.

Do this three times, fill ride fill record trip meter and odometer for later. Then calculate miles per gallon for each instance. The first is often skewed.

Can you smell fuel after shut-off or while riding or idling?

Has your fuel tank ever needed dent repair?
I replaced the plugs with Iridium IX's

I do try to fill up to about the bottom of the fuel spout. I'm usually filling 3+ gallons, so it doesn't seem to be a false light.

I do not smell fuel typically. I did this morning and found a torn fuel line. making a separate post for that.

The tank has small dent, but to my knowledge no dent repair has ever been done that would potentially impact the fuel capacity. All looks like factory paint, in need of a re-spray.

it sounds like next step is to play with the map. as you said lean it out a bit.

DesertRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:18 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRider View Post
Quote:
3k RPM at 80mph on the highway typically.
Thank you for the feedback.
I didn't realize that a quoted post didn't make it into my post, and it doesn't look like I can edit it from mobile.

I was actually asking that question of freeezzzz:

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeezzzz View Post
Today lamp switched on at 90 miles. Speed was 110-125mph.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #46 (permalink)

not very much
evilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:58 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrider View Post
not very much
You and I have very different gearing on our bikes or I'm missing that 6th gear that you have.

I didn't know a Warrior could go 125 mph.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:17 AM   #48 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It definitely can go 125, and more. Worst mileage on a tank I ever got at WOT was 70 miles to the light, it was a fun day.

arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #49 (permalink)

Quote:
You and I have very different gearing on our bikes or I'm missing that 6th gear that you have.

The Warrior can go 140 mph with Ivan's flash. Can confirm it.
JV_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:

Check my Signature

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 07-31-2019 at 12:24 PM. Reason: added url
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion