Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/)
-   Technical Discussion (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/)
-   -   Wrapped Exhaust - Ruined Pipes (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/305174-wrapped-exhaust-ruined-pipes.html)

akadirtyharold 06-24-2019 02:47 PM

Wrapped Exhaust - Ruined Pipes

Hey all!

I'm in the market to purchase a Warrior. Poked around at a few and one really looks good except one thing - the previous owner wrapped the exhaust pipes and they got wet, now the actually pipes look corroded and almost rusty.

I'm curios if there may be a remedy - engine enamel paint or the like, or is a new set of pipes in store?

They are already black, and of an unknown to me aftermarket 2-2 setup. The bike was a trade-in at a dealer so some info is limited ... I'm also hoping to use this as leverage to drop the price. It's a 2009 Midnight, Raven paint, ~13k miles.

What do you think? Could there be an easy fix?

Thanks everyone!
-Dave

DirtieGirtie 06-24-2019 03:07 PM

It sounds like the bike is at a dealership. Put a steel wool pad (super fine) in your pocket and go look at the bike. Pull out the pad and scrub a small 1" x 1" section for 15 seconds. You should be able to tell at that point if it will all come out with an hour or sweat, or not. That's what I use to clean up chrome, but I've never dealt with exhaust wrap per say.

Or use it to lower the price by $500 and buy a new exhaust.

Or just buy new exhaust wrap and put it back on.

Or just buy my bike. :)

Heftysmurf 06-24-2019 03:38 PM

Man Dirtie has you covered. To repair the damage done to the pipes is hard without pics.

Exhausts are not as abundant as before so keep that in mind.

Let's see some pics.

Desertboy13 06-24-2019 04:25 PM

Use it to negotiate a lower price

And just re wrap the Exshaust..

Post some pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

akadirtyharold 06-24-2019 11:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Image attached I think.

It is at a dealership, not sure if I could get away with scrubbing at it ... In the photo, they still have the wraps on, but yo can see where it started peeling so they must've pulled them off.

I've never dealt with wraps, or any bikes like the Warrior. Coming from a naked and sport-touring background. If the numbers come out right I'm trying to trade my Speed Triple +cash towards this gem.

Desertboy13 06-25-2019 01:16 AM

Like I said rewrap them and all good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Shadow Warrior 06-25-2019 05:17 AM

Welcome to the family and the best warrior 4m.

rij1 06-25-2019 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akadirtyharold (Post 3861516)
Image attached I think.

It is at a dealership, not sure if I could get away with scrubbing at it ... In the photo, they still have the wraps on, but yo can see where it started peeling so they must've pulled them off.

I've never dealt with wraps, or any bikes like the Warrior. Coming from a naked and sport-touring background. If the numbers come out right I'm trying to trade my Speed Triple +cash towards this gem.

pipes look shot man. You can still run them but you can't repair them without spending some money. You'd be better off getting another set or re wrapping those.
You can pick up another set for around $350 shipped +/- used. There's lots of different styles that pop up here and there.
How much is the price tag?

i-man 06-25-2019 06:59 AM

Bike looks great. The exhaust are, if I'm not mistaken, Morton's Executioners. Fantastic looking exhaust. I'd use them as a negotiating point, then rewrap them.

akadirtyharold 06-25-2019 07:03 AM

They're asking $6500, which is $500 over Blue Book. I'm going to see if I can talk them to around $5000. Definitely using the pipes as leverage, "the cost to buy new pipes and get the mapped yadayadayada"

I'm hoping to offer my trade - 06 Speed Triple 23k clean - plus $2000.