Wrapped Exhaust - Ruined Pipes - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Wrapped Exhaust - Ruined Pipes

Hey all!

I'm in the market to purchase a Warrior. Poked around at a few and one really looks good except one thing - the previous owner wrapped the exhaust pipes and they got wet, now the actually pipes look corroded and almost rusty.

I'm curios if there may be a remedy - engine enamel paint or the like, or is a new set of pipes in store?

They are already black, and of an unknown to me aftermarket 2-2 setup. The bike was a trade-in at a dealer so some info is limited ... I'm also hoping to use this as leverage to drop the price. It's a 2009 Midnight, Raven paint, ~13k miles.

What do you think? Could there be an easy fix?

Thanks everyone!
-Dave
akadirtyharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

It sounds like the bike is at a dealership. Put a steel wool pad (super fine) in your pocket and go look at the bike. Pull out the pad and scrub a small 1" x 1" section for 15 seconds. You should be able to tell at that point if it will all come out with an hour or sweat, or not. That's what I use to clean up chrome, but I've never dealt with exhaust wrap per say.

Or use it to lower the price by $500 and buy a new exhaust.

Or just buy new exhaust wrap and put it back on.

Or just buy my bike.
DirtieGirtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Man Dirtie has you covered. To repair the damage done to the pipes is hard without pics.

Exhausts are not as abundant as before so keep that in mind.

Let's see some pics.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Use it to negotiate a lower price

And just re wrap the Exshaust..

Post some pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 11:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Image attached I think.

It is at a dealership, not sure if I could get away with scrubbing at it ... In the photo, they still have the wraps on, but yo can see where it started peeling so they must've pulled them off.

I've never dealt with wraps, or any bikes like the Warrior. Coming from a naked and sport-touring background. If the numbers come out right I'm trying to trade my Speed Triple +cash towards this gem.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	warrior_1561433421457.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	216028  
Old 06-25-2019, 01:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Like I said rewrap them and all good

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Welcome to the family and the best warrior 4m.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Shadow Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #8 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadirtyharold View Post
Image attached I think.

It is at a dealership, not sure if I could get away with scrubbing at it ... In the photo, they still have the wraps on, but yo can see where it started peeling so they must've pulled them off.

I've never dealt with wraps, or any bikes like the Warrior. Coming from a naked and sport-touring background. If the numbers come out right I'm trying to trade my Speed Triple +cash towards this gem.
pipes look shot man. You can still run them but you can't repair them without spending some money. You'd be better off getting another set or re wrapping those.
You can pick up another set for around $350 shipped +/- used. There's lots of different styles that pop up here and there.
How much is the price tag?

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Bike looks great. The exhaust are, if I'm not mistaken, Morton's Executioners. Fantastic looking exhaust. I'd use them as a negotiating point, then rewrap them.
i-man is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

They're asking $6500, which is $500 over Blue Book. I'm going to see if I can talk them to around $5000. Definitely using the pipes as leverage, "the cost to buy new pipes and get the mapped yadayadayada"

I'm hoping to offer my trade - 06 Speed Triple 23k clean - plus $2000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion