Rear brakes out - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 07:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear brakes out

Hello all,

Thanks for the help.
So I was riding in the mountains today. About halfway down (was on the rears kinda hard) my rear brake pedal stopped working. I can push it all the way down and it eventually does a little bit of something but not much. Feels mushy and definitely not building pressure. Don’t see any leaks, reservoir looks good. Where to look next? Master cylinder? Take it to shop?
abbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Update: went back out and it’s building up pressure just fine.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

You may have just boiled the fluid and now it's Airbound. Check the fluid level, I'm guessing it's low. Add some more and bleed the brakes and see if that helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

+1
I would just drain out the old brake fluid
And start with fresh fluid rebeed the rear brakes...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like the thing to do. Thanks guys!
Old 07-11-2019, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbrigg View Post
Hello all,

Thanks for the help.
So I was riding in the mountains today. About halfway down (was on the rears kinda hard) my rear brake pedal stopped working. I can push it all the way down and it eventually does a little bit of something but not much. Feels mushy and definitely not building pressure. Donít see any leaks, reservoir looks good. Where to look next? Master cylinder? Take it to shop?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbrigg View Post
Update: went back out and itís building up pressure just fine.
Based on the above, the brake fluid compound broke down and reached boiling point temperature.
Perhaps because of age and or contamination or possibly the removal of the rear aluminum finned rotor cover that acts as a heat sink.

I would suggest replacing the Brake Fluid with a premium quality DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 compound that has a higher boiling point.
Both these compounds are glycol-based brake fluids and are compatible with each other.
  • DOT 5 which is silicone-based should never be mixed with glycol-based DOT fluids.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

If braking hard and often like always down the mountain, using such higher boiling point fluids might be good idea.

Stretch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion