Clutch Issues Maybe? - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2019, 09:38 PM   #11 (permalink)

Based on the video it sounds like an issue with the clutch housing or clutch boss.
The transmission is still operating in 1st/2nd so I don't believe there is an issue with it or the shift forks.

I would do the following:
  • Pull the front pulley cover for a visual inspection of nut though I don't believe that's the issue as there is no belt movement at all.
  • Dump the crankcase oil only (not the tank) and check for foreign particles
  • Pull Clutch Cover and inspect for failed parts

There have been 1 or 2 cases of a loose boss (basket) nut but not your issue your year.
  • ADDED:
    Clutch Boss/Basket Nut to Transmission Input Shaft (Basket is Splined)
    2004 and later use a conical washer and crush/stake nut to retain the basket.
    2002-2003 use a tabbed lock washer and nut!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 08-13-2019 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added jpeg & note, corrected typo :>)
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2019, 01:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

Front pulley free spooling??
Bladerunr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Finally had a chance to get in the garage and see what's what with my ride. I took the Front Pulley Cover off and immediately noticed an issue. There were metal shavings in the case and the bolt didn't look right. As I was pulling the bolt off, the front pulley was wobbling back and forth and was obviously not seated properly! Currently in the process of dropping the rear tire to get the belt off and see whats wrong with the front pulley.
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

Was the front pulley removed when replacing the drive belt?It's not common for the '06' & > to have issues with the front pulley coming loose.

Suggest you post some photos of the middle shaft and pulley splines.

- Starting System
&

&

Old 08-14-2019, 07:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm fairly certain it was not removed when replacing the belt. But, now that i'm seeing the issue it reminds me that when I had the front pulley cover off, I noticed that the bolt on the Front Pulley was extremely loose. I checked the YSM, made sure it was seated properly and tightened it to spec. Attached are the pics of the inside of the pulley and the shaft, both are worn and I assume need to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0218.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	217000   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0220.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	217002  
Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 PM   #16 (permalink)

Looks like I need to replace the Middle Driven Shaft Assembly (#8) and the Front Pulley (#78).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MjE5NTkzMQ-d8e9de4c.pdf (159.2 KB, 12 views)
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
I'm fairly certain it was not removed when replacing the belt. But, now that i'm seeing the issue it reminds me that when I had the front pulley cover off, I noticed that the bolt on the Front Pulley was extremely loose. I checked the YSM, made sure it was seated properly and tightened it to spec. Attached are the pics of the inside of the pulley and the shaft, both are worn and I assume need to be replaced.
I knew it lol. This sounded all to familiar (not me). You'll need another middle drive shaft. Used would be fine.

You still have life left in that shaft but for maybe local riding as it cant hurt much more but deffinetly needs changing.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
rij1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

Lightbulb

I would also suggest the following on the LH side:
Items #26, #27, #79 & #80

On RH side you'll need the following:
Items #44, #10 & #11

Items #80 & #27 (hardened spacer) have been compromised IMHO and you should replace Item #26 O-ring.

Items #79 & #44 should not be reused.
You'll want to increase the torque value of the front pulley nut (Item #79) to 110 ft~lbs upon assembly.
You'll also need 80~90 Gear Lube per manual.

Lots of press on this subject if you use the Search Engine and AlanH

- Starting System
&

&

Old 08-14-2019, 11:20 PM   #19 (permalink)

That middle shaft is chatarra (scrap) and wont work even if you flip the front pulley around. There aren't enough threads on the shaft to torque the pulley nut and go for a ride to 7 Eleven.

The close fit of the pulley & middle shaft splines is very critical as is the torque value so if you purchase used parts you'll want to do your due diligence.

Bottom shaft in photo is new design middle shaft that fits your ride

Middle Shaft Replacement '04' Warrior

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 08-14-2019 at 11:24 PM. Reason: added url
Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh View Post
I would also suggest the following on the LH side:
Items #26, #27, #79 & #80

On RH side you'll need the following:
Items #44, #10 & #11

Items #80 & #27 (hardened spacer) have been compromised IMHO and you should replace Item #26 O-ring.

Items #79 & #44 should not be reused.
You'll want to increase the torque value of the front pulley nut (Item #79) to 110 ft~lbs upon assembly.
You'll also need 80~90 Gear Lube per manual.

Lots of press on this subject if you use the Search Engine and AlanH
Thank you for all this info! I'm really not sure I'd be willing to throw down on this project with out all this help from the forum, I'm truly grateful! Gonna do some research on the service manual and the threads in the forum then start ordering parts and begin the install. I'll keep ya'll posted on the progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion