Clutch Issues Maybe? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2019, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Clutch Issues Maybe?

I took the bike out (06') for a spin yesterday and was leisurely riding some back roads after getting everything dialed in with the PCIII, Ivan's Flash then the fuel leak issues so I wasn't getting on the bike hard or anything crazy just enjoying the weather and a beautiful ride. When I was coming down a hill I gave it a little gas and nothing happened, the engine rev'd but didn't engage and move me forward, I was just coasting. I looked down thinking I broke the belt and it was still intact. I coasted down to where it was flat to give it a better look. While I was stopped, I got it into 1st gear and gave it a little gas and it was grinding and I initially thought the belt came off the front pulley and wasn't catching, I put it in 2nd and got the same result. I got it back down to 1st gear and it caught and everything felt normal. I rode for a bit on my way back to the house maybe another 20min or so. About 3miles from the house on the main road, it gave out again and would not engage. I put it in gear and gave it a touch of gas while looking in at the front pulley and everything looked good there with the belt, pulley etc... There was a grinding and vibration from what I'm guessing is the clutch case, like there are metal parts that are spinning but not engaging and in sync. I adjusted some of my clutch from the handlebars as I knew that was something I needed to do anyways and didn't get any where, I tried shifting up a couple gears and got nothing but grinding and didn't want to mess anything up further. I called for a tow and the bike now sits in my garage.

My initial thought is that the clutch plates are all shot and need to be replaced. I'm all about continuing to learn about my bike and fix things but I'm not entirely sure where to start looking to diagnose the issue and plan the fix and getting into this area of the bike I don't want to mess anything up further that it already is. I could use a little help on where to begin looking in diagnosing, I'm pretty handy but sometime lack the technical language until I've looked at pictures and have done some research with the Forum, the manual and google. Thank you for any help!
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Here are a couple of videos to help out....

By checking and adjusting the cable correctly will eliminate the cable as the culprit. Lets do the stuff that is easy and free then we will throw money at it.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heftysmurf View Post
Here are a couple of videos to help out....

Yamaha Warrior 1700 RS Warrior Clutch Cable Adjustment - YouTube

YAMAHA WARRIOR 1700 Clutch Cable Free Play - YouTube.

By checking and adjusting the cable correctly will eliminate the cable as the culprit. Lets do the stuff that is easy and free then we will throw money at it.
Thank you, I couldn't agree more! I was planning on watching Bryan's clutch adjustment video again as they are incredibly helpful.

Old 08-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

I would take the clutch housing off and have a gander first, maybe something came loose on the clutch basket? If your clutch is done for take it down being careful not to loose your intermediate plates orientation, then get a get a new set of clutch plates from Yahama or whoever, Barrnett pressure plate with the three plate mod, you wont regret it
By the way Brian M did a nice video on how to do the three plate mod and Barrnett pressure plate

Last edited by flyingmerkel54; 08-12-2019 at 03:37 PM.
flyingmerkel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

https://youtu.be/EPQC6yjxRBY
flyingmerkel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:57 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Sounds like a tight clutch issue. No big deal by loosening it up some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I adjusted the clutch and unfortunately everything is the same as before. I took a video of what it sounds like and will try to attach it below but I'm not sure how this will go...

https://youtu.be/zMKg-wVlXOY
Old 08-12-2019, 09:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmann View Post
I adjusted the clutch and unfortunately everything is the same as before. I took a video of what it sounds like and will try to attach it below but I'm not sure how this will go...

https://youtu.be/zMKg-wVlXOY
Ahh, well that's not cable adjustment issue.
Is the bike in gear and clutch released and no movement?
Or in gear and lightly releasing clutch lever and the noise?

From the sounds of it either way, you may have to open up and inspect the clutch.

My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
Old 08-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rij1 View Post
Ahh, well that's not cable adjustment issue.
Is the bike in gear and clutch released and no movement?
Or in gear and lightly releasing clutch lever and the noise?

From the sounds of it either way, you may have to open up and inspect the clutch.
It was in neutral, 1st gear, neutral, 2nd gear then I shut it down. Does it seem like the clutch is the place to start?
Old 08-12-2019, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well, let's start fresh. It seems like your splines on your front pulley could be worn down and the middle drive shaft is just spinning and Not turning the front pulley. It's hard to tell from the vid where the sound is actually coming from. I would pull the front pulley cover and have a look at the shaft/pulley unless your for sure it's coming from your clutch.
I'd expect the clutch next if the pulley/shaft is good.

My Mods

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion