Is front pulley issue a factor on 06 model? (Threads Merged) - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 04:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

But Freeeeze it looks like it is not loose...still looks like it is on tight, the indents are still in place in the grooves in the shaft
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 03:55 AM   #12 (permalink)

In my opinion, dynamics is important. Today you check the nut and everything seems ok. And if you compare the previous result with what it was 1000km ago, the dynamics will be clear and what to expect in the future.

Last edited by freeezzzz; 09-11-2019 at 02:08 PM.
freeezzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 04:47 AM   #13 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeezzzz View Post
I have two of 06 bikes. Had this problem on both. Tryed 100Nm with blue loctite and old nut - almost loosed.

Then tryed red loctite and 135Nm - loosed, but less.
06" up use the same castle nuts.

On second bike from factory:

Then I used 180Nm and red loctite....

After 6000km it almost LOOSED but very slow...

Planing check again tomorrow)))

And.... I think that new nuts has thinner area to fix
180 Nm wow. That's way beyond the 149 Nm mark.
Your 100 And 130 Nm were way below also.
It looks like you may have some other issue there.
Loctite should not be needed as Many have not had issues even some with hundreds of thousands of miles.

As long as the nut is torqued correctly and the nut is staked at cut outs on the drive axle and hasn't jumped back out of the slots you won't have issues or a loose pulley. It's not possible unless threads on the nut are stripping out and pushing the nut off. But if that was the case then the nut is bad not the torque.

Everyone else-
One thing that should be considered is that the torque value on these were to low from the factory and second is the you never know if it was tampered with before you had the bike.
But once you set the torque and set the nut to lock in both slots you won't have issues. Loctite is not needed.

110 ft lbs is the torque spec. 149-150 Nm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUB CHAMBERMAIDS

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)
Rudy Jeremias.
(562)303-6036
rij1 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rij1 View Post
Everyone else-
One thing that should be considered is that the torque value on these were to low from the factory and second is the you never know if it was tampered with before you had the bike.
But once you set the torque and set the nut to lock in both slots you won't have issues. Loctite is not needed.

110 ft lbs is the torque spec. 149-150 Nm
The fact is that my friends so many times came across this nut. Someone was losing it, someone has found near of a motorcycle.

Oops, it seems here the problem is not only a torn drive belt. It seems there should be a nut!

All these users were tired of the shoots of this nut and everyone began to use, in addition to the correct tightening torque (more than specified in the service manual), also a loctite. At this photo I used the blue loctite and 135Nm. But old nut(that all on previous bike). After 1700km you can see the changes... On the right image I've fixed this nut right on the road! It was lucky that I've checked it.

And some even took welding))) This is not a joke! Myself, I wouldn’t do that, but the guys are tired of fighting with this nut))

Last edited by freeezzzz; 09-11-2019 at 06:57 AM.
freeezzzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Freeezzzz,
The picture you embedded is hosted by a service (fastpic) that delivers other images as ads, these codes deliver pop-up ads and also trigger a pop-up asking to accept additional.

Please remove the image.

The image can be inserted using the forum software under EDIT > GO ADVANCED > MANAGE ATTACHMENTS. You may need to reduce filesize, see limits during the attachment sequence.

Please do the same for any similarly embedded attachments in past posts.

Thank you.

Quote:
In my opinion, dynamics is important. Today you check the nut and everything seems ok. And if you compare the previous result with what it was 1000km ago, the dynamics will be clear and what to expect in the future.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Freeezzzz
You posted 135nm and that is inadequate torque. 110 foot pounds is about 150nm. I see Rij1 already provided this info. The threads need to be cleaned and inspected for reduction due to wear or over-torque damage (180nm is worrisome). The factory used red loctite and specified same. However many do not use it after pulley removal and have no troubles. Blue loctite is useless in this application.

It almost appears there are a group of riders who are sharing incorrect spec and service information. That can be frustrating. It can also be corrected.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-11-2019 at 08:49 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
The fact is that my friends so many times came across this nut. Someone was losing it, someone has found near of a motorcycle.

Oops, it seems here the problem is not only a torn drive belt. It seems there should be a nut!

All these users were tired of the shoots of this nut and everyone began to use, in addition to the correct tightening torque (more than specified in the service manual), also a loctite. At this photo I used the blue loctite and 135Nm. But old nut(that all on previous bike). After 1700km you can see the changes... On the right image I've fixed this nut right on the road! It was lucky that I've checked it.

And some even took welding))) This is not a joke! Myself, I wouldn’t do that, but the guys are tired of fighting with this nut))

WOW!!! There must be some enormous forces at play to cause the nut to loosen and break free from the hold excerted by the indents. What is causing that force? It cannot just be vibration. It is a very strong force that is causing this. Some kind of rotational force excerted on the nut. Is it perhaps the spacer behind the nut which of itself is not fixed to anything and is transferring the rotational friction force of the spinning pulley to the nut?
Old 09-11-2019, 12:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Default Thoughts of a madman grasping at straws?

Been thinking about the pulley locknut a lot still and why it loosens. It even loosens itself from the hold exerted by the collar indented into the grooves on the shaft. That means there must be a very powerful force at play here. A rotational force created by the spinning middleshaft and the pulley. This force is transmitted to the thick spacer between the pulley and the nut. The spacer is not affixed to anything and transfers this rotational force to the locknut which in turn breaks free from it's indent bonds and red locktite and slowly turns loose.

Does this make sense at all? or are these the thoughts of a madman grasping at straws?

Interesting link on locknuts and other type of fasteners "Bolt Science"
Self-Loosening of Bolts and Nuts

Last edited by ThingFish; 09-11-2019 at 01:47 PM.
ThingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

Holy cow, i would not even consider welding on my middle drive shaft. I'm not having the pulley problem on my 06 motor as of yet, but will be keeping an eye on it. Y'all just must be to dang tough on the old girls.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Please do the same for any similarly embedded attachments in past posts.
Sorry, using ad blocker, so I have no any pop-up. Tried to load big picture for better see the details and I don't know about auto-resize preview function. Will fix it today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion