What size torque wrench for pulley nut? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2019, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default What size torque wrench for pulley nut?

Want to buy a torque wrench for checking my front pulley nut every now and again. What size torque wrench do I need and what socket. Sorry I know absolutely nothing about torque wrenches.
Thanks
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

There are quite a few offerings. You would want a 1/2" drive.
Here's the best one (in my mind....lol)
TDI Brand (Actually Snap On)
https://www.snaponindustrialbrands.c...CAT4%20111.pdf

Craftsman 1/2" drive
https://www.sears.com/craftsman-micr...1&blockType=G1

I am not sure of the nut size but it is metric (I think 27 or 37mm, someone will tell us)

Service Manual can be found here (thanks Robriquez)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proper way to check oil level
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scawein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default Thanks :)

Thanks Scawein...and I think it is a 30mm nut

Old 09-11-2019, 07:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

your front pulley nut should have a lock washer. if its on there the nut shouldn't need to be torqued again. what year is the bike?
evilrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilrider View Post
your front pulley nut should have a lock washer. if its on there the nut shouldn't need to be torqued again. what year is the bike?
Hi Evil...yeah I am not planning on retorqueing unless I notice the dimples on the nut have moved. Right now all is fine and nice and tight and I hope it stays that way. It's a 2006 model with 20,000 kilometers (12,000 miles) on the clock. I am the 3 rd owner and have only done 1,500 kilometer so far.
Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Some specs are hard-wired into the old Popular Mods thread are remain available. This particular section needs updating but that thread is no longer managed.

Making it confusing, early bikes have a different nut size and torque versus later bikes. Yamaha messed-up the service manuals. Plus, subsequent to the Popular Mods entry, it was found that 110 pounds was best for early bikes. And later bikes too.

Helpful info mostly regarding early bikes:
http://www.rswarriordocs.com/manuals.html

UNRELATED TO THIS THREAD in the url above inside the old service manual notes document the Bosch 3323 oil filter was redesigned and the newest version does not seal well on the Warrior.

Back to this topic:
-----

Drive Pulley: (see also 'Final Drive') (see also 'Belt')
Drive Pulley - Front: (see also 'fasteners')
Drive Pulley - Front - 2002-2010 OEM: 5PX-17651-00-00 (32-tooth steel pulley)
Drive Pulley - Front - 2002-2005: Special Nut with Tabbed Washer (use 36mm wrench, 125 Ft/Lbs).(added: 110 Ft/Lbs is best)
Drive Pulley - Front - 2006-2010: Dimpled-Locknut with Conical Washer (use 30mm wrench, 100Ft/Lbs).(Added: Many find 110Ft/Lbs is best)
Drive Pulley - Front - 2006-2010: Dimpled-Locknut's back mating surface is 22.37mm ID, 29.84mm OD.
Drive Pulley - Front - 2006-2010: Conical washer is directional, 22.35mm ID, 35mm OD, 4mm thick.
Drive Pulley - Front - 2002-2006 - Slider: (white keeper-rollers): 2 each Part# 4WM-17653-00-00
-----

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-12-2019 at 04:59 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion