Steering head bearing torque - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2019, 02:46 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California
Default Steering head bearing torque

So I have searched over and over here and didn't see if Yamaha changed the final lower ring final torque.

Some info I have found on most other Yamaha bikes with tapered roller bearings is that the final lower ring nut is or has been revised and changed to 13 ft lbs. Our manual shows 2.9 ft lbs. This is so low that it can be done by hand just the 2" nut spanner and your hand without trying hard.

Has this been done for the warrior aswell? If not why?
These other Yamaha motorcycles are in the same weight and higher with the same style bearings.
2.9 ft lb seems pretty low to me and obviously Yamaha since it raised spec.
I know we've ran with the final torque most without issue but we have ran with wrong torque settings on other parts of the bike with out issue but it doesn't make it right.
Did Yamaha forget to update our final torque of the steering head lower ring nut and just kept it the same.

I did do a small test yesterday when I torqued my ring nut down and to stayed 2.9 ft lb and the steering felt loose still. I then started the steps over and gradually raised the torque checked and it began to feel normal like my other bikes.
I stopped at 11 ft lbs and it feels good and tight now. But of coarse not where it won't turn but to where it slightly falls to the side when turned some.

I have some other service manuals and am looking for more.
In the pics show their initial and final steering head lower ring nut torque.

I believe the warrior 2.9 ft lbs should be raised to maybe 13 ft lbs like other models like Yamaha changed and or raised.

Roadliner/Stratoliner/ Raider
Road star 1700's 04'-07' (I've only seen this written and mentioned to members in forums so far with complaints of the 2.9ft lb started in manuals)
Road Star 1700's 08" up
Royal Star Ventures
1st gen VMax 98-07 (I've also only seen this written and mentioned to members in forums so far with complaints of the 2.9ft lb started in manuals)
2nd gen VMax 08" up
Star Venture/Eluder
Other models that use the tapered roller bearings style mention the same 13 ft lb setting but I can't find manuals.
It seems that all that use Tapered roller bearings have a final torque of 13 ft lbs to the steering head bearing lower ring nut.

There are many other models which use angular ball bearing style bearings which seem to be the lighter bikes even up do date so I won't bring those up into this torque discussion as there not using tapered roller bearings like those other bikes mentioned but those are from 10- 13 (about 10 other models I have manuals for)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_221912.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	217352   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_222300.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	217354   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_222725.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	217356   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_223203.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	217358   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_224255.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	217360  

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_224747.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	217362   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190913_225135.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	132.1 KB
ID:	217364   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190914_014955.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	217366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190914-021159.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	217368  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Bub Chambermaids
Big City Thunders - Thunder Monster Baffles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2019, 03:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I believe you are right. After a couple attempts a few years ago that loosened, I got two wrenches to hold the bottom nut and twist the top nut and kept stepping up tightness until my front tire stayed put on the kickstand unless bumped. It has not loosened. I do not know the exact torque value. And once it was right I did not bother to investigate.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:02 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
I believe you are right. After a couple attempts a few years ago that loosened, I got two wrenches to hold the bottom nut and twist the top nut and kept stepping up tightness until my front tire stayed put on the kickstand unless bumped. It has not loosened. I do not know the exact torque value. And once it was right I did not bother to investigate.
I know allot of people adjust by feel and I used to on other applications but this time I checked the feel and torque reading.

What brought this to my attention also was that I was reading about another steering head bearing issue of being loose and it was a Road star. I read more and it turned out Yamaha had the wrong final value.
2.9 lbs isn't tight and seems to be too loose.
I also noticed when I did mine I tried set it to 2.9 I kept turning forever and realized while the bike wheel is off the ground the steering stem assembly would slide down a bit when I loosened the lower ring nut per directed to re torque to its final torque. I eventually had to torque back to 37 then stock a block under the tire to hold everything in place then loosen the ring nut and torque to 2.9 ft lbs.

After feeling it this way I thought higher torque would be needed to stiffen the feel and pull the steering stem back tightly again. It didn't seem like the 2.9ft lb would pull the stem up and tight enough.

I'm going to keep looking to see what more i can find out about this torque but I would think from what I've already gathered is that Yamaha wants it to be 13 ft lbs as in the other models.

My Mods
Bub Chambermaids

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036

Old 09-14-2019, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Not sure of the torque values but torquing down your steering head is a two step process. At first you torque it down to a high value which sets the bearings. Once this is done you back off the nut and then torque it down to the lower value which is the value it should be set to.

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I'm certain Rudy knows, because, well, its Rudy, so not just from the first OP sentences, that said I gotta say thanks for posting it so others into the future realize. This highlights for me that when big beasts like you and Rudy and so many others post, its maybe smart to come right out and say these inferred things for those who follow having the same troubles.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-14-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a question, is this process/torquing the same when you install 6-7 triple trees, I plan on doing mine this winter???
RobbSkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

It depends on the manufacturer, I've seen some single torque over the decades. Although I have not seen a huge number of different designs so I am interested in more info. Excellent question.

Old 09-14-2019, 11:40 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbSkllz View Post
I have a question, is this process/torquing the same when you install 6-7 triple trees, I plan on doing mine this winter???
I just found info from Gilly on his torque with his morons trees.
Screenshot pics posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
It depends on the manufacturer, I've seen some single torque over the decades. Although I have not seen a huge number of different designs so I am interested in more info. Excellent question.
Right, If they didn't come with instructions/ torque settings I would search/ call the manufacture up. Otherwise I guess the next best thing is to follow our initial 37 ft lbs and final torque setting to a feel/ bump test.
I believe Gilly that followed the 37 ft lbs then final 13 ft lbs or the flop test with his morons.

Edit-
I just found info from Gilly on torque with his morons trees.

Also found a bit of info he mentions a bit of the change in final torque aswell with the Road star.

Screenshot pics posted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_20190914-083655.jpg
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	217374   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190914-083528.jpg
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	217376  

My Mods
Bub Chambermaids

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
Old 09-15-2019, 09:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
yes it is. when I put my 6 degree trees on I used the instructions that came with morton 7 degree trees provided graciously by Gilly as my tree maker did not provide instructions

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by christok View Post
Quote:
yes it is. when I put my 6 degree trees on I used the instructions that came with morton 7 degree trees provided graciously by Gilly as my tree maker did not provide instructions
Thanks Christok...
RobbSkllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion