Can a Nylock Nut be used to hold front pulley? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2019, 12:06 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Can a Nylock Nut be used to hold front pulley?

Would that hold and not loosen? Can they be torqued to 100-120 pounds? Maybe a dumb question, I don't know, but thought I would ask anyhow
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2019, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingFish View Post
Would that hold and not loosen? Can they be torqued to 100-120 pounds? Maybe a dumb question, I don't know, but thought I would ask anyhow
Those will just hold it in place so you don't loose the nut from it spinning off. You need the nut to be locked in to the shaft by staking it to the slots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Bub Chambermaids
Big City Thunders - Thunder Monster Baffles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rij1 View Post
Those will just hold it in place so you don't loose the nut from it spinning off. You need the nut to be locked in to the shaft by steaking it to the slots.
So if you only use a nylock nut torqued to 120 pounds wont it hold? Will it spin off? Because you can use the staked nut and then still a nylock nut because there isnt enough thread for a staked nut and then still a nylock nut on top of that

Old 09-16-2019, 04:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

Honestly I'd be more worried about it with time and wanna check it often.

With the castle nut even if you checked it often you'd just have to look at the nut staked areas and see if it moved. You can't really do that with the nylock nut.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Bub Chambermaids
Big City Thunders - Thunder Monster Baffles

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 06:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Nylock does not provide adequate clamping load capability on its own, it deforms to capture. You need a minimum number of steel threads for clamping force and then the nylon ring above it. I suspect there is not enough space on the shaft's mature thread. Plus nylock actually increases holding strength after installation meaning it requires more torque to remove them than to install them. I am uncertain how that might affect the assembly during un-install considering the gear train is the resistance. You might need AlanH's nifty Warrior pulley-holding device.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 09-16-2019 at 06:40 AM.
arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Thanks for the feedback guys
Old 09-17-2019, 10:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Like Arizona said nylon nuts are not "locking" nut.

I see this "nut" issue is still a concern for you. Have you thought about a castle nut or maybe some safety wire? Are you proficient with tools to do this?
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heftysmurf View Post
Like Arizona said nylon nuts are not "locking" nut.

I see this "nut" issue is still a concern for you. Have you thought about a castle nut or maybe some safety wire? Are you proficient with tools to do this?
I am pretty proficient with most tools...I have always serviced my bikes myself and done minor repairs....anyway if you follow the forum topics you will see the nut is a concern for many people here not only me and also...it never was a concern for me until I came across this forum. My biggest concern is that many reports point out that the nut did not loosen but the pulley still got loose. Just trying to find out what causes that to happen. My pulley nut is fine and has not moved since I got my bike and the pulley is still tight too but yes...I am concerned that the pulley might loosen with the nut still tight so that's why I check my bike now after every 500 km or so. Extra worry now is that the 6 pulley cover bolts will wear out from the constant undoing and fastening of the pulley cover hahahahahah

Last edited by ThingFish; 09-17-2019 at 04:58 PM.
ThingFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion