RS Warrior Forum banner

Raider Starter for a Warrior!!!

5K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  milkman672042000 
#1 ·
After some research I come to the conclusion that it might be possible that a Yamaha Raider starter could work on a Warrior.
I ordered on from DB Electrical for $124 part number 1D7-81890-01-00

It arrived today and I set to work. First thing I noticed is the shaft is different but over all it looks like ours.

So I took it apart and once apart I see some differences that the brushes are different and the starter housing has the same magnets as ours but only 4 instead of 5... (I didnt get pics of this but will)

What I did was take the Warrior armature and put it in the Raider starter body along with the warrior end caps. I and bolted it all up. I put the starter gear back on and it spun like normal by hand.

I put the starter on my warrior and bam! Ignition! It spun the bike over just like my normal starter!

So if you want to do this as long as your armature is good it appears it works! I am going to leave the starter on my bike for a while to verify and report back.

FYI I thought I was taking video as I did this but somehow that didnt happen so all these pics are from after I reassembled the starter thus why I am using a burned up warrior armature to show you the differences.

Pic 1 Warrior starter on the right

Pic 2 old burned up warrior armature on the left (no I didnt use this armature) Armatures are overall identical with the exception of the end of the shaft where our starter gear attaches. It appears the raider starter directly engages the engine aka there is no starter gear that attaches to the shaft.

Pic 3 close up of the end of the shaft, warrior armature on the left

pic 4 & 5 the end caps warrior on the left. Its hard to see but they are slightlly different. The bearings are different between the two with the Raiders bearing set way down in there. otherwise the knob sticking out is the same length and diamter.

Pic 6, 7, 8 this is the brushes end of the starters warrior on the left. Again this pieces are similar. The raiders has a different offset for the bracket though. The brushes are different also

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
It seems to work fine. I am going to drive around using it for a while and see how it does.

D@Mn Monty you got a thing for starters
LOL..
SERIOUSLY great work..
I just freaking hate getting screwed for $400 for a new one when it OBVIOUS that they all have issues with magnets coming loose. Thats how I found the raider starter when I googled raider starter I got hits and pics of one in pieces because the magnets came unglued....

#6 ·
hopefully this will work out great so that another part of the warrior will have a newer equivalent. Like you have said in another post the armature can always be rewound by a car starter rebuild place but the magnets were the problem so if the raider set up works then another part we will not have to worry about obsolescence. anxious to see how this holds up over a longer period of time. Thanks Monty

#7 ·
Drove about 200 miles today with dozens of stops. The starter worked amazingly! So well I even forgot to pay attention to it. I never once thought oh its starting slow.

So far I would call it a success!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.