RS Warrior Forum banner

Bike Starts but can not release clutch or it stalls

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  flyingmerkel54 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 warrior, I am able to get the bike to start (only if I have the clutch lever pulled in) once the bike is running in neutral I go to release the clutch (still in neutral) and the bike stalls out. Same thing if the clutch is in and I drop it into gear it stalls. I have checked and bypassed the kickstand switch but the bike still stalls out if I let go of the clutch. I checked the clutch sensor on the handle bar as well, all sensors seem to be working how they are supposed to be. Any Ideas on what could be going wrong with the bike?

#5 · (Edited)
I don't know if there is any history with this problem or if it's a new occurrence.
Enclosing a Hosted Snap-Shot of the Late Relay Unit as a troubleshooting tool for your issue.

Based on your OP it's obvious that the ECU is NOT seeing the Sidestand UP and the reason the engine is cutting out when NOT in Neutral.
It is doing exactly what it is designed to do.

There are only several reasons for this issue. Bad switch, blown diode (D6), poor ground or poor wire connections.

NOTE: Disregard ECU Pin 7 & Burnt Tracing verbiage :)

The Sidestand Sw can be jumpered out under seat Here: Wire Tray over Battery
  • Blue/Green to Black (Blue 2-Pin Connector)
I suspect you're going to need to visually inspect the wiring @ the Relay Unit and perhaps check the referenced D6 diode.

Taking wire Blue/Yellow (-) to chassis ground (Temporarily) will defeat the prestart interlocks and allow you to start the bike so proceed at your own risk!

#8 ·
I didn't pick-up on that in my OP :eek: :(

Is this condition correct?
The bike when in neutral (neutral light on) & sidestand up will not start unless the clutch lever is operated. Then when shifted into gear the engine cuts out.

If above condition is correct then there is an issue with the Relay unit diodes or wiring connections at relay.

#11 ·
Delete

#14 ·
Thank you guys for the ideas on tracking down the issue, I was able to find the route of the problem. It was a short in the wire to the clutch sensor caused by a mouse getting into the headlight and chewing thru a ton of wires. I was surprised it even started. Thanks again

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.