Valve adjustment - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Valve adjustment

Ok I did a search here for anything on valve adjustment, found nothing. I think I'm right in the fact that this beast has hydraulic lifters but that doesn't mean there isn't an adjustment. I'm getting a noise that sounds like valves when the bike is HOT! Could it be valves or maybe the starter clutch, this noise comes from the front of the motor, I use Mobil One V-Twin oil maybe I should be using something else, I have also noticed that I have a noise when its cold for a bit then this goes away, Im thinking for sure that's the starter clutch, How hard is it to change that clutch? Thanks in advance for any help
flyingmerkel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You can remove half-a-quart of oil and add some rislone or marvel's mystery oil for a half hour ride then change oil and filter. It will un-gum the lifters.

There is an e-manual around here. Your lifters might be fine but might need a valve adjustment due to time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Ill give that a try
flyingmerkel54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-2019, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lifters are hydraulic.
Each rocker arm shaft has 2 arms to operate 2 valves @ a time by 1 pushrod. One arm has an adjustment the other does not. The adjustment is to balance the 2 valves. There should be a how to by this author on the forum if it still exists

To find engine noise: If you do not have a mechanics stethoscope use a long screwdriver with the handle stuck in your ear. Engine running touch the blade around the engine to determine the noisy area.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hi. I found your post from 2006 via google. I searched because my new to me '05 with BAK has a 'miss' at lower revs when hot and backfire between gear shifts. The dealer said they all do that with bak but i reckon it shouldn't. It's now done 66700 kms. I read somewhere it could be valves need adjusting. I think it's not fuel related because it occurs with Power Commander both plugged in and disconnected. Any thoughts on this?
Charlie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey bro start a new Tread with the issue that ur having..
It'll get more attention that way, and you'll get better help.

Also I dont believe that the valve's needing adjustment will , cause your issue..

Post up all mods that ur warrior has

So we can be of more help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The backfire between shifts is partly normal and partly managable via fuel manager tuning, IVAN's ECU Flash, and AIS-blockoff. Your symptoms are 99% NOT valve related. The miss at low RPM is because your warm idle is too low, or it is fuel manager related.

Search criteria:
Ivan ECU
AIS Block Off ( or -AIS)
Hesitation off idle
Backfiring
Popping
Power Commander Tune
Maps

Suggest using the Google search field on top of many Forum pages. Or from browser use the search criteria RSWarrior: (plus a selected criteria from above). Example is RSWarrior: maps. This work will fuel your search imagination too, so is worth your time!
Hope this helps

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 12-02-2019 at 07:01 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

This^^^^ + check the basics first.

How old are the spark plugs? Get new & gap @ .032 SAE.
The plastic spark plug wire boots screw onto the metal core plug wires insure that they are tight.
Crimp the primary coil wire female spades for a tight fit.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hey all thanks for tips. I changed the plugs recently but didn't check the gaps. Will do that first then follow up check PC settings. I dont have cables or program for it yet but will check the link provided. It runs great on the highway just when its hot stalls when taking off. Has ais removed k&n pods i think and bub jugs shorts with baffles, the baffles ends are cut off so fairly open. The symptoms were present before that though. I run 95 ron mostly. We have 91,95,98 ron here. E10 is 94 but will never run it. I'll start with plugs and keep you updated.
Charlie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Check your idle setting. 950 when hot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2007 Graphite/Silver, Churchkey Vbak, Samson StreetSweepers w/ Big City Thunder baffles, AIS Delete, Akitadog coil plate, LCV delete, DynaCoils under tank, Ivans ECU Flash, PCV with Ivans Map, Left side cleanup, Right side horn brake cleanup, 3-full plate clutch mod, BArnett Clutch, Pulley change 33/68, Cyclops 3800 headlight
LOTS of Chrome!

Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion