Why no consensus on Axle and Front Pulley Nut torque? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2019, 05:03 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Why no consensus on Axle and Front Pulley Nut torque?

Why is it that so much confusion still reigns today on what the actual torque values for the rear axle nut and front pulley nut should be? Why does Yamaha not give clarity on the correct torque values? Has anyone approached them about this?
Why is it that confusion reigns whether the torque values in the service manual
for the axle nut and front pulley nut are correct or as many suggest have been swopped around?
What does Yamaha say? Or don't they say anything? Do they like their customers to be in the dark about this? Or don't they know themselves?
Can anyone say with 100% certainty what the correct torque values for these 2 nuts are?
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2019, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Almost two decades of proof tell us the numbers we now use are good. Several members, being Yamaha dealer technicians, chimed-in with their info. Yamaha Japan and Yamaha USA have never commented to my knowledge (and many have sent letters myself included). One of the bright bulbs around this joint noticed several other Yamaha bike manuals had these values reversed. Others noticed the torque values were too high for the application. Over time these fasteners have stopped coming loose, except for those who do not ask. So I'm happy you asked.

One thing you can do is to take a swing at it. I believe it's been awhile since Yamaha was written. To do that, just search around here for axle torque, and pulley torque. You will get data about other fasteners like the rear pulley and front axle but you won't be excluded from any needed info. You will read a lot and can formulate your letter. And please start a technical thread to keep your findings and notes so the rest of us, seeing your work, can comment and suggest and inquire. Maybe one more really in-depth knowledgable letter to Yamaha will yield results. Are you up to it!!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-05-2019 at 11:36 AM.
arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hands on info.

Torque the rear axle nut to the service manual specified torque = the axle & threads in the nut will gall / strip you will need to cut the nut off with a whizz wheel & purchase a new nut, washer & axle.

Torque the front pulley to the advertised spec = the front pulley will come loose & possibly be damaged along with the shaft. One case that I know of the nut was lost the pulley & shaft were damaged the owner had the pulley welded to shaft so he could finish out bike week.

If you have a ? about your Warrior suggest asking here dealers are not that knowledgeable about a bike that has been out of production for a decade & the low pay grade personnel that answer phones for the manufacturer are oblivious to technical ?'s.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchkey View Post
Hands on info.

Torque the rear axle nut to the service manual specified torque = the axle & threads in the nut will gall / strip you will need to cut the nut off with a whizz wheel & purchase a new nut, washer & axle.

Torque the front pulley to the advertised spec = the front pulley will come loose & possibly be damaged along with the shaft. One case that I know of the nut was lost the pulley & shaft were damaged the owner had the pulley welded to shaft so he could finish out bike week.

If you have a ? about your Warrior suggest asking here dealers are not that knowledgeable about a bike that has been out of production for a decade & the low pay grade personnel that answer phones for the manufacturer are oblivious to technical ?'s.

I agree with Church and have very little faith in what a dealership or Yamaha will have to say. If you want to put a letter in to them then have at it and good luck, I truly hope you get the results you're looking for to put your mind at ease! I continue to have the utmost confidence it what is shared here on the forum and trust the wealth of knowledge and willingness to share it. After having gone through this front pulley issue a couple months ago and doing tons of research on the subject all is now good thousands of miles later thanks to the forum members. A little common sense, basic tools and good questions to the forum will provide all that's needed to take care of it.
Zmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

My friend installed a rear wheel from HD Rocker and had problems with wheel bearings. Bearings were broken after just a few kilometers away. He changed bearings and reduced the torque of the rear axle. Everything came to the fact that he could unscrew the nut of the rear axle almost by hand, without a tool. And nothing happened, the nut did not go anywhere. He travels a little, about 10,000 km in 7 years (maybe even less), so I consider his experience not a serious, just as a humor
But recently I saw information about a user of -05 warrior who had a nut losen .... in midle drive gear Of course there were a lot of things that suffered. So we need to periodicaly check. Sometimes **** happens

Last edited by freeezzzz; 11-05-2019 at 02:13 PM.
freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 11:26 AM   #6 (permalink)

ThingFish you have to remember a company like Yamaha that has it's hands in so many things and the immensity of this monster of a business cares very little of a previous model of a motorcycle that didn't sell too many models and has been removed for over 10 years.

One thing I will tell you is this forum has the best and most informed members that I have ever been a part of and in it's heyday I would have put them up against the Yamaha engineers themselves.
Heftysmurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

This seems as best a place as any... could someone in the know please provide the front and rear torque requirements to save in our personal records?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Diesel_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingFish View Post
Why is it that so much confusion still reigns today on what the actual torque values for the rear axle nut and front pulley nut should be? Why does Yamaha not give clarity on the correct torque values? Has anyone approached them about this?
Why is it that confusion reigns whether the torque values in the service manual
for the axle nut and front pulley nut are correct or as many suggest have been swopped around?
What does Yamaha say? Or don't they say anything? Do they like their customers to be in the dark about this? Or don't they know themselves?
Can anyone say with 100% certainty what the correct torque values for these 2 nuts are?

Here`s some info for you.

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-...7-warrior.html
35ruger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

No need to over think it....

I've been following the Guru's advice and Suggestions for yrs..
And on my second Warrior....

And any n all advice has never steered me wrong...

Mistakes happen and mistakes get caught
Unfortunately Yamaha like stated b4 is passed on the warrior.....

BUT THE MEMBERS HERE ARE STILL VERY DEDICATED AND VESTED IN THIS GREAT MACHINE....

LIKE STATED B4 THERE HAS BEEN MEMBERS THAT HAVE BEEN YAMAHA TECH'S AND SO ON.....

SO ASK FOR ADVICE AND FOLLOW IT
AND YOU'LL BE OK. .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Well said.

Of course some need proof to trust so I posted from that point of view. It's all good.

arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion