3plate mod questions - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2019, 01:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 3plate mod questions

Morning. Iīm working on the three plate mod and Iīd like to get your opinion on the gunk within. Seems like itīs some oily buildup but Iīm curious to know how this happens and if itīs normal.

Regarding the friction plates, is there any specific way that the plates should line up, I mean, since thereīs like two grooves in one of the tab and one groove in the opposite tab. Does it matter how its lined up?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191117_154929.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	218640   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191117_154900.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	218642  
Addi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addi View Post
Morning. Iīm working on the three plate mod and Iīd like to get your opinion on the gunk within. Seems like itīs some oily buildup but Iīm curious to know how this happens and if itīs normal.
  • It's from condensation. The root cause being the engine oil hasn't heated up adequately from short rides.
Regarding the friction plates, is there any specific way that the plates should line up, I mean, since thereīs like two grooves in one of the tab and one groove in the opposite tab. Does it matter how its lined up?
Zoom in on the enclosed photo and take note of the (2) I.D. marks on the clutch basket (Members LH forefinger) I think it's freeezzzz?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 11-17-2019 at 02:26 PM.
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanh View Post
I think it's freeezzzz?
No, this is Bryan's hand))) I just took a picture from his video clip

PS
Hello Iceland from Russia! Your country is very beautiful!

Last edited by freeezzzz; 11-17-2019 at 02:41 PM.
freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2019, 03:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeezzzz View Post
Hello Iceland from Russia! Your country is very beautiful!
Thanks, itīs not bad, just short riding season

And thank you alanh for clearing this up for me. I didnīt notice the two dots and in my head, these marks should be telling me something so I had to ask. I know that the previous owner had something done by the dealership and it seems like they did not assembly the right way.

What about the white-ish creamy stuff that is accumulative inside the cover?

Last edited by Addi; 11-17-2019 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

the creamy stuff is probably oil mixed with condensation. If you start your bike and just run it for a few minutes without riding it. It usually builds up condensation and causes the creamy stuff. If you ride it for 15 minutes or so it keeps the condensation burned off.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

If condensation is detected in this unit, the first thing I would check is the oil seal of the rotary clutch release rod with number 93102-15212-00
freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, then I'm gonna blame the previous owner because that's not my habit. At least I'm gonna give it a good clean and do some research about the oil seal and hope it's not something overly complicated...
Since I got the bike all apart, I might as well dig a little deeper.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

That creamy stuff is oil and water emulsified. And the Steels in the clutch look like they got a little rust on them too.
How new is this bike to you? Any chance it was in a flood?
You'll love the three plate mod it's awesome.
And I'll be in Reykjavik Wednesday through Sunday can't wait!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2007 Graphite/Silver, Churchkey Vbak, Samson StreetSweepers w/ Big City Thunder baffles, AIS Delete, Akitadog coil plate, LCV delete, DynaCoils under tank, Ivans ECU Flash, PCV with Ivans Map, Left side cleanup, Right side horn brake cleanup, 3-full plate clutch mod, BArnett Clutch, Pulley change 33/68, Cyclops 3800 headlight
LOTS of Chrome!

Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytows View Post
That creamy stuff is oil and water emulsified. And the Steels in the clutch look like they got a little rust on them too.
How new is this bike to you? Any chance it was in a flood?
You'll love the three plate mod it's awesome.
And I'll be in Reykjavik Wednesday through Sunday can't wait!
I sort of knew about the creamy stuff but I was wondering how it formed in an aircooled motor :-)
About the rust, itīs only a bad photo quality, thereīs no rust and the bike is in a very good shape.

Its great to hear that you are coming to Iceland, contact me and I can give you good pointers for your stay here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion