Removing oil tank to replace speed sensor - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Removing oil tank to replace speed sensor

Does anyone have any advice on removing the oil tank in order to get to the speed sensor. Iíve made it here and am stumped. Iíve got the reserve fuel tank out but thereís still no friggin way to get to the sensor. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
esteiner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2019, 01:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The oil tank is integrated into the middle drive as a single unit.

The side cover on the oil tank has the allen hex head on it, remove that, then some guys use a thin dinner-fork to gently insert under the side cover to gently pry the cover off without dimpling it. But I dont recall that cover needing to be removed, someone else can chime-in.

The speed sensor is under its own bolted cover. It reads the top of the transmission gearing.

Did you run tests first to prove its bad? One easy trick is to turn on your turn signal while riding and see if it auto-cancels in a short distance, if yes then the speed sensor is working. More in the free e-manual.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 11-24-2019 at 01:17 AM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 01:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

You don't have to remove either of those to do replace the speed sensor.
Find the connection under the seat for the old one. Take the plastic connector wiring apart and the plastic off. Find some good strong string, twine, fishing line. Wrap those wires together with the line but keep it about 3 feet long. Find and remove the speed sensor from being mounted. Pull the sensor down and the wiring/ string will follow. Don't pull the line out so have it tied into something under the seating area. When you get some line pulled out cut the line off the olugs sensor wetting and get your new sensor and remove the plastic connector housing from the wiring and wrap the line to that wiring ends. Pull the line at the seating area back and the sensor wiring will follow. After you get the sensor wiring install the wiring pins back into the connector housing. Install the sensor and connect the sensor connectors. That it.

Be careful taking the pins out of the connector. You have to stick a very tiny flat screwdriver or what ever fits through the back of the connector where each wire id's going through and unlock it then pull the wire pin out.
Don't yank the line our wiring. When your pulling the line/ wiring through the frame area it may get stuck. It's cause there's a plastic clip way down inside. You just have to get a very long screwdriver out something and stick it down inside where the wiring is running and break the plastic wiring clip. I wish I had pictures but never took any.

I've done this 2 times on Joeyallessi bike. His Speedo would work for a few k miles then the sensor died again. We gave up replacing the speed sensor.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2019, 02:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
The oil tank is integrated into the middle drive as a single unit.

The side cover on the oil tank has the allen hex head on it, remove that, then some guys use a thin dinner-fork to gently insert under the side cover to gently pry the cover off without dimpling it. But I dont recall that cover needing to be removed, someone else can chime-in.

The speed sensor is under its own bolted cover. It reads the top of the transmission gearing.

Did you run tests first to prove its bad? One easy trick is to turn on your turn signal while riding and see if it auto-cancels in a short distance, if yes then the speed sensor is working. More in the free e-manual.

Yes, I tested the circuits pretty thoroughly. I have the service manual at home and used it like a bible along with my voltmeter. My issue is an intermittently (mostly not) working speedometer. When the speedometer would work for a short period on time, the turn signals would shut off after I got moving from a stop and the odometer would work properly too and the FI light would go out. When the speedometer would not be working, the turn signals stayed on until I shut them off, the speedometer would stay at 0mph and the odometer wouldnít add on miles and the FI light would come on. Bike ran fine, I actually rode it all summer like that. I tested all connections from the speedometer sensor connection and upward. All my wiring and connections were solid. I found every one of them, took them apart, cleaned and dielectric greased them. Basically, the sensor itself is the only left it could be....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2019, 05:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-...o-problem.html
freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 05:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yes +1 it seems to me that is among the best existing threads on this repair, up to this point anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeezzzz View Post

Old 11-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Along with what I wrote above (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/3873822-post3.html )

I removed the pipes to get to the speed sensor. It took a while to do but it got done twice. One from a previous splice job then then from another failed speed sensor. The only time I had to get under the seat was to remove the connectors and run the new sense connector.
I had almost did a write up on it but didn't take any pics.

My Mods
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
Old 11-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Awesome Rudy. This is excellent info!

Old 11-24-2019, 03:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

This is all great info guys, thanks a lot for you time. I will be documenting the fix as soon as i have time to get back in the garage and get sone new gaskets, seals, and o rings in. I was hoping to avoid taking the trans case off, but it looks like trans case and oil tank are one piece (confirmed by arizonawarrior and the service manual). I can't say enough about how helpful this forum is. I will admit the service manual is a must also, its actually well written. I'll update this thread when i've got some pictures and info. Thanks again arizonawarrior and rij1 for all the info. Also, thanks AlanH for helping me out via PM, you're info helped out a lot as well. Always nice to have resources.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I got some pics. This is from the right ride. You have to remove the pipes or rear pipe if you have 2-2's.
It's tight but you can get it. There's an allen head bolt holding the sensor down so you'll need an allen wrench. It is a tight fit and you only have small loosening increments so be patient.
I also took some pics from the top below the seat latch following the wiring down some to show the holding clip. The sensor is below the rear pipe elbow, below/next to the oil temp sensor. Once the pipe is off you'll see the speed sensor and have more room then it looks.

I'll add more pics from the left side soon in a new reply post but you can't touch it from that side.

My Mods
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion