Yes, another no start issue... - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Yes, another no start issue...

Hello everyone,

the scenario is that due to work I had to leave home and live abroad. My bike because of that isn’t driven often anymore and problems start cropping up. For the past year, she was running really rough and cutting out. So on this leave I decided to troubleshoot a bit. I started her up and again it ran really rough, with black smoke coming out the back. After it died, I tried cranking it again, with the seat off. I saw sparks when I tried cranking her. She would sputter and die, with black smoke billowing up from the exhaust. Some investigation revealed that the main ground bolt was loose. I tightened it down, and she began cranking again like when she was new. I was really hopeful that most problems were in fact solved. But no. She now cranks like a pro with no light up. I have tried 8 or 9 times now over the course of 2 days. 2 of those times, the bike coughed literally once after extended cranking but refuses to light.

1. The bike is on a battery tender constantly.
2. I ran the diagnostic tests with no fault codes.
3. My intake atmospheric pressures read 0 instead of 10-200 MMHG as suggested. Don’t know if that is significant.
4. My linear control valve cycles with a slight “crrrt” at the end. I believe it’s when it reaches its stop. It has been doing that a long time though.
5. Currently I have no resistance in the turn signal circuit. So the blinkers flash fast and I believe because of that, the decomp. solenoid does not cycle when tested.
6. Fuel pump primes as it should, when it should.
7. Except for tightening the ground, and checking that no wire popped off in the process I did absolutely nothing in between the sputtery but successful starts and the phenomenal cranks but no light up. Oh yes, I just juggled the wires around under the seat a bit to see if a connector was loose.

I believe I smell fuel so I am leaning on spark, even though the coils clicked successfully during the diagnostic. As for the underseat area, any wires, connectors I can doublecheck?

Many thanks,

Xander
md-82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2019, 05:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

How old is your fuel and what are the chances you've got water in it? Did you use a stabilizer before you parked it?
Sounds like you've got a few electrical gremlinz going on there that may or may not be related to the rough running no start condition. Also what are the chances of mouse got up in the bike and chewed some wires. someone just recently had a electrical issue and found that a mouse had managed to get inside the headlight bucket and chewed the wires.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2007 Graphite/Silver, Churchkey Vbak, Samson StreetSweepers w/ Big City Thunder baffles, AIS Delete, Akitadog coil plate, LCV delete, DynaCoils under tank, Ivans ECU Flash, PCV with Ivans Map, Left side cleanup, Right side horn brake cleanup, 3-full plate clutch mod, BArnett Clutch, Pulley change 33/68, Cyclops 3800 headlight
LOTS of Chrome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hello and thanks for the reply. Would you believe the spark plugs gave out at the exact time I found the loose ground problem? I removed, cleaned and re-gapped the spark plugs, and violà, she started right up. All four were properly soiled with soot and smelled of gas. I did my first run, and she hasn’t run like this for months. However I still have a lot of backfiring under load. The idle was up at close to 1300 RPM. These I attribute to the fuel in the tank (I haven’t added any fuel stabilizer), the ECU and the PC3 coming to grips with a properly igniting motor after quite a few months and the high idle. I’ll ride it around some more, add fresh fuel and see how she goes.

Thanks for taking the time to chime in...

Old 12-06-2019, 07:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Location: From Whittier,California Live in Ventura,California

What kind of spark plugs do you have?
It sounds like you had a weak spark from the loose ground and from that fuel fouled your spark plugs from not properly burning. I don't know how long your gas was sitting in the tank but use it all up and run good quality gas with fuel treatment additives through a couple tanks.

Sent from Rudy Jeremias

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 XV1700 Roadstar Warrior
My Mods
Cobra Fi2000 PowrPro with CVT(Non-Black)
Speedstar Gen2 Exhaust

Riding On the Darkside #2 (235/45/ZR17 BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S)

Rudy Jeremias
(562)303-6036
rij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)

I have Denso Iridium X22’s I believe. But they weren’t properly gapped it seems. I will run this tank dry a d refill with a fresh and treated fuel batch. Thanks...
Old 12-07-2019, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by md-82 View Post
3. My intake atmospheric pressures read 0 instead of 10-200 MMHG as suggested. Don’t know if that is significant.
At Diag mode then you press starter button you see 0?
Quote:
4. My linear control valve cycles with a slight “crrrt” at the end. I believe it’s when it reaches its stop. It has been doing that a long time though.
Switch it off. You can start the engine without LCV. Just make throttle little open at start and hold it for a minute for engine will hot.
Quote:
5. Currently I have no resistance in the turn signal circuit. So the blinkers flash fast and I believe because of that, the decomp. solenoid does not cycle when tested.
You can start the engine without decompressor if you battery strong enough. So the problem is not in this.

Black exhaust make think to something wrong with ignition. Too much unburned fuel in output. So it can not be bad fuel. I think something bad with ignition.
freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hey freezzzz,

I found the problem. See above. She is running and idling really well now and starts on 1st attempt. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion