Self Canceling Turn Signal - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Self Canceling Turn Signal

I just ordered the Blaster X Integrated Taillight and Switch from Custom LED. When going through the ordering process they were very clear about your options to adjust the flash rate with the ELFR-1 but it cancels the Self Canceling Turn Signal feature of the Warrior. This is where it gets confusing for me, I've had my bike for a number of years and was not aware that I had a self canceling signal as it's never worked before. I'm curious as to why that is and how to get it working again as that would be pretty handy or I just want to make sure there is not some other underlying issue that may cause problems later on down the road. I took a gander at the service manual and there is a lot of electrical info and I was having a tough time narrowing things down to the pertinent info. Does anyone know where I should start looking on the bike, in the manual (page#), on the forum or anyplace else so I can start troubleshooting.

Thanks,
Daniel
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

I believe the self cancel feature is built into the signal relay. I also believe that I've read here on the forum that the relay sold by Blaster x doesn't work on the warrior but not positive on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can be anything you want on the internet, Strange so many people choose to be stupid. -Mark Twain-
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yep the stock Denso turn-signal-relay works with the speed sensor to auto-cancel. Sometimes it turns out they are working but you don't realize it because the bike has to be moving forward (riding) in order for the speed sensor signal to be recognized. Other times it turns out the stock relay was replaced with an electronic relay that corrects flash rate but does not support auto-cancel.

The relay is under the rider seat adjacent to the battery. If you search Denso Relay here, you will find a few threads, including one picture-post that steps you through finding and changing the flasher relay. Additionally I think there are bits in the Documentation forum, check that Table of Contents.

One Example (PDF Download): https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/att...6&d=1340175607

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 12-20-2019 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Typo
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2019, 05:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

Daniel ... the enclosed 2004 Owner's Manual, Page 3-5, does an excellent job of explaining the 5-Pin Denso Self-Cancelling Turn Signals (T/S).
The prerequisite for proper operation of the Self-Cancelling T/S circuit is the use of the Factory OEM proprietary Turn Signal Switch and that ALL wires are connected accordingly.

Here's a recent contribution by this writer that should be of interest

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2019, 11:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys! I'll pull the relay tomorrow and see what I find. Definitely never had the self cancel working on the bike since i've owned it. I've always had to press the signal indicator after every turn or it would stay on for miles down the road till I noticed it or someone let me know it was still on.
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)

Screw front turn signal lights they are a hazard to the rider if you leave the left signal on a cage may turn across your path it happened to me. I pull the front signals off every bike + the amber front running lights look like dork.
Forum member #113

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion