Throttle Body Cleaning - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2020, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Throttle Body Cleaning

Hey Guys,

I'm waiting on parts to arrive to finish a bunch of mods that I have in the works and while I have the bike stripped down I'm working on cleaning all the little nooks and crannies that I've been neglecting over the years. After installing the Churchkey VBAK last spring, I now have an unobstructed view of the throttle bodies and want to get in there and clean off all the gunk that's accumulated on the exterior of them. I'm wondering if its safe and advisable to use some kind of engine/carb cleaner on the exterior to blow off all the gunk without damaging the electrical, vacuum hoses, fuel lines etc... then getting in there with some soapy water, a tooth brush and some elbow grease to get it properly cleaned. Once I get it clean it will be just maintaining it but right now its pretty nasty.

Daniel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0390.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	269.7 KB
ID:	219232   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	257.7 KB
ID:	219234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0392.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	225.8 KB
ID:	219236   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	219238  
Zmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2020, 02:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think you'll have good luck just with some simple green, or purple power and a small brush. That's what I did. I've never been a fan of those harsh engine cleaners from the spray can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2007 Graphite/Silver, Churchkey Vbak, Samson StreetSweepers w/ Big City Thunder baffles, AIS Delete, Akitadog coil plate, LCV delete, DynaCoils under tank, Ivans ECU Flash, PCV with Ivans Map, Left side cleanup, Right side horn brake cleanup, 3-full plate clutch mod, BArnett Clutch, Pulley change 33/68, Cyclops 3800 headlight
LOTS of Chrome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandytows View Post
I think you'll have good luck just with some simple green, or purple power and a small brush. That's what I did. I've never been a fan of those harsh engine cleaners from the spray can.
I'm with him. Simple Green is safe for your frame paint and wiring, but will clean most engine dirt and gunk.

I's only use carb cleaner on a throttle body when removed from the bike.
craig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't like simple green it will soften some types of paint.

Suggest mineral spirits. Have a syphon blow gun? If so blast it clean if no then brush it on & let it soak for a few then blow it off.

While your in there put a wrench on the manifold to head fasteners they tend to work loose.
Forum member #113

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brother of the Wind

All things great & small should be horizontal or perpendicular to the center line of the earth.

Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 09:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to redlinefidelity9

Purple power is corrosive and water based, even simple green is still water based. I dont recomend you use either to clean something that may allow leakage of something that's not pil based down into your cylinder...even wd40 would be better than simple green. Get some seafoam and a plastic bristle brush, mineral spirits will work fine also but try to avoid pouring it onto the valves.... better to use a toothbrush and a small jar of cleaner and a clean cloth.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:31 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchkey View Post
Don't like simple green it will soften some types of paint.

Suggest mineral spirits. Have a syphon blow gun? If so blast it clean if no then brush it on & let it soak for a few then blow it off.

While your in there put a wrench on the manifold to head fasteners they tend to work loose.
Awesome, thank you. It never occurred to me to use compressed air! I'll rock the mineral spirits followed by air to get it properly clean then compressed air to maintain it later on.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:37 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinefidelity9 View Post
Purple power is corrosive and water based, even simple green is still water based. I dont recomend you use either to clean something that may allow leakage of something that's not pil based down into your cylinder...even wd40 would be better than simple green. Get some seafoam and a plastic bristle brush, mineral spirits will work fine also but try to avoid pouring it onto the valves.... better to use a toothbrush and a small jar of cleaner and a clean cloth.
Isn't Seafoam an engine treatment? Do they also have something to spread/spray on the exterior or are they all the same product?
Old 01-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I want suggesting putting either of those cleaners IN the throttle bodies, but on the exterior you should be fine as long as you dont spray it around like crazy. And yes purple power should be diluted.
But the mineral spirits idea works too. Even WD40 or some other light oil works well to loosen grease and grime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
2007 Graphite/Silver, Churchkey Vbak, Samson StreetSweepers w/ Big City Thunder baffles, AIS Delete, Akitadog coil plate, LCV delete, DynaCoils under tank, Ivans ECU Flash, PCV with Ivans Map, Left side cleanup, Right side horn brake cleanup, 3-full plate clutch mod, BArnett Clutch, Pulley change 33/68, Cyclops 3800 headlight
LOTS of Chrome!

Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion