Question about the Stock Rear Passenger Seat - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Question about the Stock Rear Passenger Seat

This is on a 2007 Warrior. I am looking for an easy way to have a flat, luggage rack to mount a lightweight top case, which I don't intend to use to carry anything heavy.

My question is whether or not I could strip off the leather/foam padding to have a mostly flat area upon which I could drill some holes to mount a lightweight top case. Obviously, it is designed to handle holding a passenger's shifting weight. It seems like it would work for light duty; not sure if anyone has tried anything like that before.
xrismark is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2020, 10:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just put a sissy bar/backrest on mine and strap a bag to it. Works out pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
esteiner88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

You could do that and make a small base out of aluminum as it should work with no problem. Our rear fenders are steel and handle weight very well.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cobra makes a luggage rack for early and later year warriors. Getting hard to find though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can be anything you want on the internet, Strange so many people choose to be stupid. -Mark Twain-
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

+1 as long as you retain the steel turtle-shell support underneath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heftysmurf View Post
You could do that and make a small base out of aluminum as it should work with no problem. Our rear fenders are steel and handle weight very well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

since the base of the passenger pad is made of ABS (plastic) I would be careful and make sure that you spread out any stress on big surfaces. A passenger's weight is spread out on the whole plastic surface and does not put any stress on a small section like if you were to bolt a carrier to for instance. where you bolt the carrier will put a significant amount of stress on a very small area of the plastic. If you want to do this then I would either use the largest fender washers I could find on the bottom and top of the base where you are bolting the box to or would take some thin (1/16") flat bar around 2 inches wide and would make a bar that fits underneath the plastic that could bolt 2 bolts to from side to side so you would need two or three bars depending on how many bolts are used to bolt the box to the base. on the top side of the base I would still use large fender washer between the box and the base. These bars and washers will help spread any stress throughout a larger surface giving more chance that that the base will not break.

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Technical Discussion