Wide Style Levers - Kuryakyn 7418 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2008, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wide Style Levers - Kuryakyn 7418

A couple of solutions to the loosie goosie clutch lever either out of the new $27.00 Kuryakyn package or a worn part. I've never been happy w/ the sloppy fit of this clutch lever and the Yamaha precision bronze bushing wearing against the oversized hole in the Kuryakyn 7418 aluminum lever so came up with a couple of solutions.

The 1st is very simple [] . The 2nd is more complex and requires fitting the shims properly so that the inner races can be preloaded against the clutch perch. A vernier or dial caliper is suggested to check the clearances. It's important that the inner races are preloaded and the outer races remained fixed in the clutch lever using threadlocker!

Disclaimer:
Neither of these mods have been proven. Although the sleeved version is straight forward as seen in the photos.
I'm currently running with the Ball Bearing version but it's only been on for a short period of time

A prerequisit to either of these repairs is having the use of a small drill press w/ 1/2" chuck and the experience to jig the part so that a straight 12mm hole is accomplished per the drawings.
A 13/32" Drill is suggested prior to drilling the 12mm finish hole to maintain accuracy.
A 6mm or 15/64" drill for Clutch Lever 201 mod

Clutch Lever 101 Sleeve Bearing Rebuild eliminates the aluminum to bronze surfaces with the press-fit PTFE split sleeve brg. The gap between the lever and clutch perch remains the same reusing the OEM bronze bushing:Photos:http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157603675254077/detail/
PDF version:http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/...er-Sleeved.pdf
Parts:
1- Metric Sleeve Bearing @ $2.69

Clutch Lever 201 Ball Bearing Build when properly assembled eliminates most of the free play between the lever and perch because the brg's, spacer & shims are preloaded @ the inner races. The OEM bronze bushing is eliminated:Photos:http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157603666129089/detail/
PDF version:http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/1/...Bearing%20.pdf
Parts:
1 - Pkg (10) MR126-2RS Brg's @ $9.99
1 - Metric Aluminum Spacer @ $1.32
1 - Pkg (10) Die Punch Shims @ $6.76

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Wide Style Levers - Kuryakyn 7418

Cool post, as of this one, you have 3000!!

Random: I am going in the garage to remove the baffles out of my big shots right now, and go riding tomorrow! [img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]
bmb408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Looking forward to doing mine......tomorrow [[img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]][[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]]
357warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-02-2008, 12:30 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

This is a nice finishing touch. I'm not at that point yet but this is a must-do-mod for the levers. Nice work, great instructions!

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Since I did not find any fancy levers, I'm doing this. Note to self:
- Kuryakyn part no. 7418
- Ball Bearing part no. MR126-2RS (6x12x4mm rubber seals)
- McMaster-Carr part no. 99432A344 -- ordered
- McMaster-Carr part no. 94669A045 -- ordered

Thanks for the precise instructions, Alan.
Since I cannot find any Apex1 ball bearings, can I use ProTek or RCS? Not sure which one is better quality.

RCS MR126-2RS High Precision Bearing (6x12x4mm, 10pcs) CS746: $9.90

Night Demon -
Winner -

First
with the Demon - Another

Friends call me Floren, join the
group on Facebook
"If you are not sure, just open the throttle"

Last edited by TECK; 03-15-2012 at 04:36 AM.
TECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

I love this 4M. It make life soo much easier...lol
MitchBB61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TECK View Post
Since I did not find any fancy levers, I'm doing this. Note to self:
- Kuryakyn part no. 7418
- Ball Bearing part no. MR126-2RS (6x12x4mm rubber seals)
- McMaster-Carr part no. 99432A344 -- ordered
- McMaster-Carr part no. 94669A045 -- ordered

Thanks for the precise instructions, Alan.
Since I cannot find any Apex1 ball bearings, can I use ProTek or RCS? Not sure which one is better quality.

RCS MR126-2RS High Precision Bearing (6x12x4mm, 10pcs) CS746: $9.90
i'm happy to report it's now well over 4-yrs and 25k miles and the clutch lever has absolutely no axial play ... just like the frt wheel

I'm sure the brg's you have sourced will be just fine. You'll have 8 spares if not.
It's the machining and proper preloading of the brg, alum spacer and the thin shims that count. Take your time and be precise.
good luck

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'll have the guys at Montreal Choppers machine that, so it will come out way better than I would do it myself.
I got the ball bearings from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390380018330
Thank you for the detailed scheme, Alan.

Edit: What's up with that cookie stuffing rswarrior does? Is that the new scheme to stuff cookies on our computers and make money from all purchases we make on eBay??? I changed the link to a non clickable one.

Night Demon -
Winner -

First
with the Demon - Another

Friends call me Floren, join the
group on Facebook
"If you are not sure, just open the throttle"

Last edited by TECK; 03-23-2012 at 03:04 AM.
TECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

alanh = the man! Beautiful write up! I was just grumbling Saturday how I hate the sloppy lever! Remarkable timing! Thumbs up as usual sir.
HURD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just bought a set of Kuryakyn 7418 Wide Levers, guess I will be doing this mod.
Great post.

outlawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories