Relocated the Tach to the rear fender - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Relocated the Tach to the rear fender

I just finished relocating the tach to my rear fender, one of the many mods I am doing this winter. I am assuming it is where the tool kit use to be. I cut the flap Cut the housing down to shrink it, then cut the fender to fit the inner part of the housing. Lined everything up in the fender but the cover on and trimed it to contour with the fender. The plastic plate I cut off the battery box, i took the ring that I cut off of the housing used it as a guide to drill holes for the screws. I got 2" Screws and put them in the back plate and screwed them into the front cover of the tach housing. That will seal it off from the water and protect it if it ever were to rub. After I finalize everything and paint the fender I will seal up and waterproof better. The wiring I extended about 12" and drilled through the fender oppisite of the rear wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1154788.JPG
Views:	315
Size:	270.4 KB
ID:	1449   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1154789.JPG
Views:	172
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	1450   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1154793.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	265.4 KB
ID:	1451   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1154794.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	1452   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1154786.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	1453  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1154787.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	1454  
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Awesome work! Nice job!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
07midnight57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Is the purpose to clean up the tree area?? interesting idea, but I have too many plans to run lower and lower in the back......got to believe I would end up trashing it if I put it back there somewhere.....I'd prolly go out front?? down under/behind the mako chin spoiler or something.....nice work though!!!
gchalifo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm alittle confused as to why you would do this, i think the tach is a cool feature on these bikes. but if your going crazy custom legally you need the odometer. i give you credit i would never think of doing this.

Last edited by madtom421; 01-15-2011 at 10:01 PM. Reason: spelling
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice looking work and neat install with some excellent photos.

It's obvious you're not wasting any time with your mods .... joined Nov 2010 and 16 post ... you've got big cojones ... your handle 'Moto4play' suits you well

I still haven't wired my bars internally after nearly 7-yrs but i've changed them every year
Good luck
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madtom421 View Post
I'm alittle confused as to why you would do this, i think the tach is a cool feature on these bikes. but if your going crazy custom legally you need the odometer. i give you credit i would never think of doing this.

its not to do with legal issues, alot of bikes have no trip meters on them, i think you need the tach on these bikes to make it run right, maybe some one can chime in a shed some light.

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-t...questions.html
1fastRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Just when I think I have seen it all, along comes a new mod and one very well done!

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:18 AM   #8 (permalink)

The speedometer is staying where it is, I am drilling the wires through the top of the frame. Yes I am moving it to clean up the front end. I dont want to elimanate it because there are too many loops through the speedometer and dont want to not have an odometer on the bike. I thought about putting it under the tank where the coils are but it would be hard to tune not being able to see it when needed. With the computer and the power commander under the seat on top of the battery there isnt a whole lot of room. I am going to lower the rear on this bike too, it looks like I can still get a full two inches but might have to tighten the suspensin a little. It really does not go that far in to the wheel well. its not much lower then the plan Back at it in the morning!
Moto4play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 04:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

+1, "just when we feel we've seen it all . . ."
I like the positioning, and with the extra waterproofing to follow, and some care in rider seat selection, setting the ride height, and selecting tires, it seems like it would work out good. I ride by my tach more than by me speedo, and I like having the 'workings' of the machine out there, but in cases like this I have to say it's very cool, damned clever, and perfectly useable during tuning!

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Default ** ? **

Moto4play ... Any plans for the Select & Reset Buttons on the Tach?

Last edited by alanh; 01-17-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories