DIY Steering Head Spanner Nut Torque socket - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default DIY Steering Head Spanner Nut Torque socket

Well like me you are changing your your triple trees to 6 degree trees and you come across a spanner nut (actually 2) on the steering head that require torquing when you replace the trees. The manufacturer shows a spanner wrench with a space to attach your torque wrench to on the handle but then says that the torque will not be exact as you are not directly on the nut. Well after searching most of the tool stores in Halifax to find a spanner nut socket (could not find a wrench either) and not wanting to go to the dealer to buy their wrench and wiat for ordering plus shelling out big $$$$ I decided to do it myself.

I bought a cheap 27mm deep socket which was the closest I could find that matched the diameter of the spanner nut without going over the little cut outs on the nut and I also bought a piece of 1/4 by 1/4 square stock.

I machined (ground out) out the inside of the socket a bit to make sure it fit over the steeering head, I cut 4 lengths of the square stock a little longer than the socket and then using the spanner nut as guide I welded the four pieces of stock to the socket and voila a steering head spanner nut socket which can be used directly with a torque wrench and will give acurate torque readings all for under $20

here are some pictures to help visualize

hope this helps some of you

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 08:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

NICE!!!!! I wish you would have posted that a couple of years ago before I took mine apart with a hammer and punch. Thats a great set up,I will definitly be building one.
islecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Good job christok! Gotta love the ingenuity of this forum!
06_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ole iron butt strikes again
60ftgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

Definitely easier than machining the "prongs" into a socket, like I did. Good job.

CAD
the_CADFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well done. Great Idea. Had I not had access to a spanner wrench I would copy that. Glad to see you are doing it right. This must have been a revelation you had during the Great North American Sportster Trek of 2011. Later

Last edited by zipper; 05-16-2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add
zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipper View Post
Well done. Great Idea. Had I not had access to a spanner wrench I would copy that. Glad to see you are doing it right. This must have been a revelation you had during the Great North American Sportster Trek of 2011. Later
Actually thought of it before my little trip back from Georgia. On the trip I was trying to think if I could get a 260 or 280 on the back of the sporster

Christo K

Old 05-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

bump for those who may not have had a chance to see it

Christo K

Old 08-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

I will be making one of these tomorrow. Thanks for this! I have also added this to the top of the DIY Mod List under "helpful links"

wide tire kits and more
wyomingwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:40 PM   #10 (permalink)

Killer! I need to look at my Steering Bearings!

G

1256day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories