Exposed Pulley Mod Using OEM Outer Cover / How To (9 Pics) - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Exposed Pulley Mod Using OEM Outer Cover / How To (9 Pics)

This mod is relatively simple and provides a solution to spacing out the actual pulley cover itself so it looks flush with the outer cover. I prefer the look of the OEM outer pulley cover to the Baron's but wanted to use the Baron's smooth chrome pulley cover in conjunction with it, so this is what I ended up doing to make it work and look the way I wanted.

1. First I sent my OEM front pulley cover out to Performance Edge to have Matt and the guys mill out the center to give it the open look so the front pulley is now exposed. They did a great job, the hole was milled dead on center. I had it powder coated semi-gloss black locally.

2. I then ordered some aluminum spacers from Grainger, P/N 6TE39. These are used to space the Baron's smooth pulley cover outboard so it sits flush with the modified OEM outer pulley cover. The longer bolts were ordered from Allenfasteners.com and are 8mm X 1.25 X 75mm steel socket head cap screws. These are the same as what come with the Baron's smooth pulley cover, just longer to reach through the aluminum spacers and thread into the pulley itself. I am using the aluminum 32T Roadstar pulley which has the 6 threaded holes. It seems that most aftermarket pulleys have these threaded mounting holes which makes this mod easier.
The 75mm long bolts penetrate to the other side of the pulley by about a 1/4 inch.

3. I secured the smooth chrome pulley cover bolts using Blue Loctite and torqued to 25 foot pounds. This is probably more torque then needed, but it is not going anywhere.

4. I secured the OEM outer pulley cover using (6) 6mm X 1.00 X 30mm chrome socket head cap screws from my local Ace Hardware and some Blue Loctite.

5. You can see how the 2 inch spacers brought it pretty close to flush with the outer cover.

6. This was a relatively cheap mod and it got me the exact look I wanted from an exposed pulley. I have no rear fender at the moment due to just changing from a 240 rear tire to a 280 rear tire setup.

Last edited by bpk0816; 06-29-2011 at 06:51 AM. Reason: Add picture
bpk0816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Nothing else to say but.......AWSOME.....
Like all your work it's a top quality job with a top quality finish.
Wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I wonder if you could drill and tap the stock pulley?Might be worth a try.Looks good Brian.I like the fatty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2011, 08:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 68ramair

NICE!! Make it your own.
68ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would love to see this Warrior and meet you for a beer at The Piper on my next ride to Denville. Yours is truly one of my favorite bikes, period!
Rocketino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great job.
jabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:44 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is one of the best writeups I've ever seen. I'd love to do it. Guess my only question would be prices...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

dude... u are a true craftsman, nice job and great write up
southboundchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

How much did it cost you to get your pulley milled out?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:56 PM   #10 (permalink)

+1, and what a great reason not to have a rear fender fatty.
whajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Installed Warrior Modifications and accessories