Sportbike Vs. Warrior - Page 8 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2018, 03:23 AM   #71 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thirteen years ago things were different.
But this is a cool thread to revisit for certain!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #72 (permalink)

[quote=Kruger;3844144]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley1313 View Post
Price: $16,495 - $16,740 for the street rod before markup.

With the money you can save you can get a turbo, and if you get a used Warrior you can get a big-bore kit and a turbo and put up close to 40hp and 70ft lbs of torque more.

How reliable are the turbo kits out there? If any?
Turbo kits are nice as the power is on demand (twist of the throttle)
Unfortunately there are no turbo kits for the Warrior but several guys have done it.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #73 (permalink)

just bolt a 429 Cobra Jet into a Warrior frame and be done with it, ok?

It's so simple to be smart. Just think of something stupid to say, and then don't say it. - Anonymous

Member #3,925. Woo Hoo!!
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2019, 04:49 PM   #74 (permalink)

As someone whoís road raced in AMA, drag raced in IHRA and NHRA, and wrenched for some pretty cool team owners and teams, I feel very fortunate. Iíve been lucky to witness some amazing accomplishments and some spectacular failures. It doesnít in anyway make me an authority, but it has given me some experience.

Rest assured, except for running up against a less experienced rider on a sport bike or a guy who has some common sense and knows when to back off, given equal skill levels a guy on a sportbike is going to leave a cruiser rider behind. There are 1000 reasons for this and yes, I could author a 19 page dissertation on horsepower and torque, thrust and tractive effort relative to gearing, along with power to weight ratios. The ones who want to learn and read would love it and the majority who donít want to believe - would simply hate it.

Letís put aside the typical 60 to 100 horsepower cruiser with a V-twin for a moment. Consider the most kick ass cruiser, the Gen II VMax. Mind you, I like the Gen II VMax. Iím not a hater. I could pretty much have fun all day on a 1980 dual purpose two stroke trail bike Ė I like bikes that much Ė so things like the newer generation Max are impressive. That said, youíre dealing with a 700 lb machine that makes about 170 hp. Iíve seen around 168 to 169 stock. They can be modded to 185 to 190 hp easily and without doing what I consider a lot of work 200 is attainable.

A Gen II Suzuki Hayabusa is not a cutting edge sportbike, but is still quite capable on a back road. It is heavy for a sport bike weighing in at 585 lbs. It too is delivered at around 170 to 175 hp depending upon the dyno. My personal bike generally registers between 196 and 199 hp. It has broken 200 hp once. Uncorrected. On a beautiful weather day. SAE corrected it was back to 197+. It makes 90 ft lbs of torque at 3000 rpm, peaks at around 116 to 118 and tapers off slowly back to around 90 ft-lbs at 11,600 rpm.

These two machines use vastly different engine designs but deliver similar peak power number in stock and modified form. The Hayabusa comes with a 100+ lb weight advantage as delivered and is typically rolling on the street at around 550 lbs once the excessively heavy exhaust is removed and replaced. My own weighs in at 500+ with only a little extra effort at weight shedding. There are some heavy comfort and sound deadening pieces added on. The Vmax also enjoys a weight reduction with an exhaust mod but will never make up for the 100 lb excess without significant changes. So we have to consider how much that 100lbs slows acceleration. The rangy wheel base of the Vmax slows handling compared to the gentlemenís express of the Hayabusa. Itís easy to see why one is distinctly faster given the same amount of effort and attention on a back road. Donít believe me? How many VMaxes have you seen road racing? If youíre lucky, youíll see a nut at a track day. It happens, but itís the exception, not the rule.

The long wheel base of a cruiser slows handling. A VRod will never keep up with a modern 600 on a back road even though those two machines make similar peak power numbers. When I road my very 1st 2006 GSX-R600 my first impression was that someone had stuck a transmission from a mid 90ís Yamaha TZ250 road racer in the cases by mistake. Super short throw and ultra light effort. Blipping downshifts entering corners became the best part of my day. It also out handled my GSX-R1000 so well that I was in and out of slow corners before I had chance to hang off anywhere near as far as my bulky 1000. Mind you, compared to my 500+ lbs ready to race Hayabusa, my ďBulkyĒ 1000 weighed in at 426 lbs full of fuel. Compared to that, the 600 felt only slightly larger than the TZ250. It was heaven for racetrack and back road use.

Would I put my wife on the back of the 600? I could, but the blistering 45 ft lbs of torque that it made meant two up acceleration was slow. Sure it delivered 105 to 107 hp, but it required revs to make that kind of power. It was not a pleasure cruise with her on the back. My Harley Softail makes a pathetic 73 hp and a little over 85 ft-lbs of torque. It makes a bunch of torque at low revs and pulls us both forward as soon as I let the clutch out without touching the throttle. Does it handle like my Hayabusa? No. Does it wobble out of control? No. Itís smooth and comfortable and makes all the right noises for a 45 degree pushrod V-twin. Also, with the twin counter balancers you can place a coin on its side on the engine case and it wonít fall over. That trick wonít work on a Dyna or Touring model since the engine is free to rock in the frame. I have no illusions that the softie is fast or that it will beat anybody. Yes, itís fun to race other Harley guys, but thatís about it. And Iíve been accused of GSX-R-ing my Softail, but I kind of like to ride everything a little quickly.

So letís change things up and go back to a cruiser thatís putting out 75 to 85 ponies stock, what are you going to hot rod it to? 100, 120 horses? Maybe you turbo it and build it to 175 hp. Great. What does your cruiser run in the quarter mile? 100 to 115 mph? Maybe itís a pure race bike that races in Hot Rod Cruiser and runs as quick as 145mph! Wow. But the thing is a death trap on the street. Then you pull up next to the 2015 Kawasaki H2 that I built that delivers 240 hp. License plate, push button start, and driven on back roads every weekend. Slightly longer and heavier than a normal 1000, but far superior in power to a regular liter bike that itís a joke to mess with guys on S1000RRs and R1ís. It runs mid 9ís at 155 to 158 mph in the quarter mile with stock wheel base, stock ride height and a not so talented rider on board.

All that said, my 40 horsepower Shovel Head Wide Glide is a joy to ride. Itís slow as molasses and vibrates. I wouldnít even race a guy on an 883 Sportster with it, but itís fun to have a 40 year-old bike at the local coffee shop. You canít just walk into a shop and buy one and you better know how to keep it running. Like they say. Anyone can ride one. Few can ride it home. Iíve learned that thereís always someone faster out there and thereís always someone with more talent. No matter what I build, Iím never going to keep up with my friendís super charged Hayabusa that runs six second quarter mile times at 220 mph. I wonít run with my friendís Pro Stock bike or my other buddyís Top Fuel Harley. Iím good with that. I can say that I out ran a ZX11 on my Buell back in the day, but that guy had no idea what he was doing at the drag strip. He should have been deep in the tens while I was just tickling 11s on the lumpy twin. Truth be told it was just pure luck I lined up against him and he was a 12 second pilot.

Thatís my very long winded way of saying enjoy what you have and understand what it was made to do.
craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:29 PM   #75 (permalink)

Well said Craig, lotsa common sense in what you say.
I still love riding my warrior, awesome low down torque. My Diavel gets my adrenalin pumping and is my choice for traffic light derbys against 200hp sport bikes, I just beat them to 100kph then back off and wave them on. I also have a 1975 Z900 US import, its fun to ride and gets lots of attention, different type of fun.
Yes, enjoy each bike for its fun factor.

The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride warriors
strud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:06 AM   #76 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Thanks Craig. I sorta believe that if what you ride makes you smile every time then you are a winner. The Warrior is a competent and quick V2 and its fun to mod. If you make it your own using your own smile as your guide, its awesome. Longest I have ever kept a motorcycle. Still gets looks. Even from me!

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 03:13 AM   #77 (permalink)

Thanks craig for writing that. Some times I need a reality check.

Ride safe

Shadow Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:44 AM   #78 (permalink)

I love my Warrior and my Z1000 equally, for different reasons. My Z is for the mountains when I want to play with the rest of my sportbike friends. My Warrior is for everything else. That's not to say that I don't ride the Warrior in the mountains, it's just a different ride than when I'm on my Z. I know, without a shadow of doubt, that I could not keep pace with myself on the Z, if I was riding the Warrior and following myself on the Z. Umm, I think my brain just locked up.
Anyway, with equal riders, the sportbike pulls away, especially when the road stops going straight.
i-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Warrior Racing