To Scrape or Not to Scrape? That is the Question. - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default To Scrape or Not to Scrape? That is the Question.

It seems like every forum has its share of peg scraping heroes whose mangled pegs, scraped pipes, and other torn up components are a badge of honor and testament to their awesomeness and superb cornering ability. I have about quarter inch strips on my rear 200 tire and do not scrape pegs/pipes ever. I've been able to push the bike pretty good (at least I think, I'm no racer but neither is the Warrior) by planning my curves, entry speed, and mostly using an outside/inside/outside arc with a delayed apex and mostly proper body positioning and have had no problem keeping up with many more aggressive leaners on curves. I've noticed some people who are leaning the bikes really hard (not all) position their bodies more upright than they should. Since I don't scrape pegs my question to those who rip through exhaust systems and change their pegs out monthly... Is this necessary to get the most out of cornerning? Does it take more or less skill to position your body and hang off the bike a bit and plan the arc without scraping? Is it not risky to scrape parts at high speeds through corners? I've touched down a couple of times in the past to know just how far I can go but haven't done it in a few riding seasons. I didn't like it.
pdiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

I dunno, but I've scraped my frame on a left turn, may have been while two up.
kickice24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

I feel the same way you do. I have forward controls that raise them up about 1.5". So I haven't scraped them yet. I used to scrape mine once in awhile. I believe in body position. I am by not stretch a great rider. I have a lot to learn.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

From both personal experience, and reading/watching instructional pieces from the experts, I agree that good cornering technique plays a part in how soon parts scrape.

It's something that I practice as well -- those techniques. I don't mine scraping pegs, but do NOT like scraping my exhaust. It's very unsettling when you've realized that you need to push it harder to make the right-hander but the rigidity of that exhaust isn't going to allow it to happen without changing your approach. Rineharts are known for this issue -- it's the only thing I don't like about them -- they just sit too low even with suspension at stock height.

Also keep in mind that a LOT of folks have lowered their Warrior, which will have a significant effect on cornering ability and how soon stuff starts to scrape.

What year is your Warrior? I understand that peg mounts sit in a higher position on 2002 and 2003 Warriors, than later years. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a pair of those earlier mounts, if that is true.
papawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have phatperformance forward controls.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have an 04 stock ride height/suspension I've touched them down before but on this set of tires I have unused tread to the tune of a quarter inch and haven't/don't scrape now. I've heard both sides, the get r done you ain't ridin if you ain't a scrapin, to the side that there's no need to touch parts down if corner entry, arc, apex, and body positioning are all correct. I figure scraping pegs is for when I'm doing something wrong in a curve and need that extra lean to get myself out of trouble without jamming on any brakes/snapping the throttle closed. I'm talking more like long sweeping interstate exits here rather than a quick twist on a two lane highway. There's nothing extraordinary about any of the "twisties" around here and I haven't had the need on this bike to knock off the last quarter inch on any curve here yet. I'm trying to understand why habitual scrapers do it.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

i have stock height and elite forward controls and have scraped my pegs it took me off guard i didn't think it would be possible to scrape with forward controls, just depends on how hard you push your limits
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Saint Louis Missouri and stock ride hight there's your problem.no twisties around there bub.get down to the smokey's or the rocky's and you will know what it's like to scrape stock ride or not. dosen't matter about your body position or your arc the only way you wont scrape is if you ride like a old man. they are some corners in the smokey's that the speed limit is 5mph some that loop around and back under it's self through a tunnel. in other words take it to the dragon and ride with some spirit and you will scrape some peg.interstate exits HA! childs play on a stock bike lower the thing and you'll drag peg all the way.
60ftgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

There's no denying we have no twists around here. I can do the 5mph thing making u-turns in a parking lot or side street and touch down every time. So the only way to ride with spirit is to scrape up the pegs? Why is it I see some peg scrapers with their bodies on the wrong side of the bike leaning the thing over too much for no reason? I'm not talking about taking the exits even close to the posted speed limit. The ones that turn you around are a good example of an arc and are much more difficult to push yourself on than a slight bend in the road here and there. (the dragon and places like that excluded)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddy View Post
(the dragon and places like that excluded)
These are the roads/types of corners that people are scrapeing on, hence them scrapeing parts.

I never would scrape anything on the Warrior. i bought a sportbike, then some time on that I was scrapeing everything on the Warrior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lagalaxy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk