87 Octane - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2011, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 87 Octane

OK, I'm gonna throw this one out, because I can't be the only one who didn't know this. Several months ago, a member asked about what octane gas to use, and I immediately said premium. I've put premium in all my bikes, and I've owned a bike for almost 30 years. Bike runs smoother, it's only a few cents per gallon more, seems pretty common sense. Well, several members told me that the Warrior was made for 87 octane (unless you have high performance pistons) and I was wrong. Sooo, for the past 3 months I've been testing this out. Seems they were right. I don't get one mile less per gallon since I've switched to 87 octane. I don't get any more vibration, my plugs look awesome (maybe a little lean, but that's my fault, not the gas) and in every respect the bike seems to be the same. So, save your money, and go to 87 octane if you haven't already. There's got to be someone out there that didn't know this

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2011, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Right there with you Leader.

I learned the same thing from this forum. I used to put the highest octane fuel in my Warrior, thinking that I was paying a little extra for a little extra performance. That is how it is marketed to the consumer, after all. And then I was educated.

I use only 87 octane in my Warrior, but 91 octane in my Nissan Murano (10.3:1 compression), as recommended by the manufacturer.
papawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

Exactly. My mustang loves premium, when I'm not feeling cheap

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-2011, 07:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

yessir the lower compression ratio does not require the higher octain
old warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
Exactly. My mustang loves premium, when I'm not feeling cheap
Yep, I've put 87 octane in the Murano before, just to see, and to save a few dollars. It pings and knocks though, especially when the air temperature is high. So, it absolutely prefers the more expensive stuff, unfortunately.
papawheelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:50 PM   #6 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to robriguez

87 octane since i brought her home. Tho I do prefer to stay with the name brand vendors than the mom and pop gas stations.

robriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was just talking to a buddy about 87 octane last night. Told him that's all I ever ran in the Warrior. He has an 05 Hayabusa. Not sure what they were designed to run on, but regular unleaded does the trick for me.

I remember my first bike, an 82 Kawasaki 550LTD that ran on regular LEADED gas. There was one station in town that sold premium leaded gas that was like 93 octane. Made that little 550 really go!!
seattlesage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

I will comfirm that 87 will not run in HC warrior. sounds like the valves are going to fly out at anytime. had to run 87 in emergency once. I run 93 sunoco no ethonol with startron additive for when i'm on the road and can't find gas with no ethonol .
60ftgap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Glad you posted the info Leader Deuce. My Warrior is my 1st V-twin and before that I've owned nothing but high powered sportbikes that I ran 93 octane in.

I'll still probably pump some 93 octane in her every now & then just because she's my baby and she deserves a treat every now & then.
BiggG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
...There's got to be someone out there that didn't know this
I guarantee there are lots out there who do not know this. The topic comes up on a semi-regular basis and will continue to show up now n then. Many, like you, will listen to the facts and go back to 87. Then there are those out there who are really into old wives tales. They will insist the higher octane rated fuel will give them more power, better mileage, cooler running, and will reduce their cholesterol. It's their money, they can waste it any way they want.

Everything looks a bit better and your problems don't seem quite so bad from the saddle of a bike! - Jack Conrad

oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk