shortening the brake rod - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default shortening the brake rod

Is there a general consensus on the best was to shorten the brake rod so the brake pedal isn't so high? Mine's all the way in and from looking at it, it would need to be shortened and tapped so the screw threads run deeper. Thanks
Willsroadstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

'04' & UP Warrior Rear Brake Pushrod is 4 mm shorter! Perhaps a member will sell one to you.
Else, depending upon your skill level and available tools it can be shortened from either end. I believe the thread is M8 x 1.25mm pitch

Photos here if interested: Rear Brake Pushrod '02-03' & '04' Warrior

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank you Alan
Willsroadstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2019, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm 6'2" with big feet and I found this to be a major problem with my 05 warrior. Coupled with my fatter custom pipes I literally had to put my foot almost sideways to get it on the peg.
I resolved this by simply adjusting the brake rod to its shortest adjustment. This dropped the pedal low enough that I could get my foot comfortably in the normal position.
The drawback. The original upright position assists you in braking because you are partially pushing in a forward motion which is assisted by your bodies momentum 'throwing your weght' forward on to the pedal as you brake. This position also helps to keep your foot from slipping off the pedal.
At first I found the new horizontal position unsettling as I was now pushing the pedal down to brake. My big feet finally paid off though. The heel of my boot catches on the pedal and I've not had any problem with my foot slipping off.
This downward movement seems to take a little more effort on the pedal because my foot is near the limit of its range of movement which is a weaker muscular position. I've gotten used to it now and don't even notice it.
When I make up an extention for the forward controls I plan to move the pivot point for the brake pedal so it's near its original position but I can still get my clown feet in.
Any links or suggestions for forward control mods much appreciated.
Chuckles8699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 02:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good info Chuckles. Welcome aboard.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk