Anyone ride a Street Glide? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2019, 11:21 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Anyone ride a Street Glide?

I was thinking about getting an 07 Harley Street glide in addition to or possibly replacing my Warrior. Local dealer has a nice one with 22,000 miles on it for $9,999. Only upgrades look to be true dual exhaust. Had the 96ci engine.

Anyone here have one or ride them before? How do they compare to the Warrior? Was thinking hard about the comforts, wind protection, storage, radio, etc for longer rides.
warriorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2019, 11:27 AM   #2 (permalink)

It is a Cadillac compared to the Warrior. When the Harley dealership by my crib used to have a rental department, I know the manager there, so he would lend me some bikes to break them in and put a couple hundred miles on their new bikes before they went out for rental. Very comfortable, nice to have some tunes to listen to, good wind blockage with the fairing, a little lacking on power compared to the Warrior but I think that was the first year of their 6 speed on that bike.
Heftysmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

If it's a 96 inch, make sure it doesn't vibrate too much. Super tough to quantify, but short story is 96 inch motors had the worst crank runout of anything ever produced. Some of them vibrate like crazy due to poorly trued crank shafts from the factory. You can see it in the service manual specs.

88's were within 0.001" 103 inch motors are within 0.005" 96 inch motors spec something like 0.012"

A crank with 0.005 to 0.006 runout will make that thing shake like a dog passing a peach pit. If it's like that I'd pass at any price. You can't true twin cam crank via conventional means. Super tight press fit.

Test ride a couple and you'll probably see a big difference in how much each vibrates at idle. ALL will be super smooth once underway. Pick the one that's smoothest at idle.
craig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2019, 09:35 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have a 2011 with 121,000 km on it still running strong. It is much mor comfortable than the warrior for any rides of a distance and the radio makes things nice but beware that some of teh Harmon kardon radios have an inherent problem but it is an easy fix for a few hundres $$ should you have a problem. I have never really wanted a bagger because I always thought it is an old man's bike but when going on a trip somewhere it is so much easier. i have an adjustable windshield and with this windshield or the harley curved windsheild there is no buffeting what so ever. It is however top heavy and you don't want to hit the front brake while parking it as it will topple over on you. I think that the street glide along with the warrior is the best of both worlds and with the low sale value of teh warrior best to keep it for those cruises. i hate it when i see someone turn a warrior into a bagger. it was just not meant to be.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a 2013 Road Glide Custom with a 103 motor, with cams, thinner head gasket for more compression, HP breather and pipes and it's pretty fast. I thought about getting the Street Glide but after riding the 2, i decided on the RGC because I liked it better. The Street Glide felt cramped to me. I'm 6' and felt like i was breathing on the windshield. The Street Glide is a very nice bike though. And Christok is right, don't touch that front brake in a slow turn or you will be picking it up, if you can.

Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've been thinking of getting a Harley bagger as a long-distance bike in addition to the warrior and trying to decide between Street Glide and Road Glide. I've been told by several dealers and people that the street glide can get tiring on Long rides because the buffeting on the fairing goes to the handlebars and up to your shoulders where the Road Glide with its frame mounted fairing doesn't experience this. I've ridden them both but only briefly on test rides and can't speak to what happens on a long ride. I will say the Road Glide Dash is pretty far out there and give you lots of space but it can be a stretch if you're not close to 6 feet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Sandytows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 09:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the input on the bike and what to look out for. Think I'm going to pass on this one. I've been researching this bike a little the past few days and read some things that I didn't want to about the 2007 year. Who can say if problems will happen or not, but I don't want to gamble on it. At this time I don't think I can swing another payment, and I'm certainly not trading the Warrior. I've made my mind up that it stays no matter what!
warriorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

my brother had an 07. it was awesome. I rode it about 50 miles and it was very fun to ride. you cat compare the handling of a large bagger to a warrior. handled great for a bagger though.
evilrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Forums > General Bike Talk