Another oil change tutorial - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2012, 05:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Good Way to Adapt and Overcome!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunecraz View Post
I know this is dorky, but a few years ago I changed the oil and forgot to put ONLY 3.5 qts in then start it, rev it a few times, shut it off, then continue filling it up. Instead, I just started pouring and pouring right down the funnel until I had oil coming out the top of the oil tank and running all over the bike and all over the floor.

So, dorky or not I didn't want to do that again and I was always having to look up to see how much oil it takes when i was due for an oil change so this is what I came up with.

Attachment 7498
I used an old laundry detergent container and cut it down so it would fit under the bike and wrote directions for my short term memory.

Attachment 7499
On the other side I made note of how much oil the tank and engine hold.

Pretty pathetic, huh? Oh well, it works!!!
NOT pathetic. I think its a good idea, i like to see people who are picky maintainers. If you were ever to sell (to buy another warrior of course) you could show somebody this and they would say " wow this guy takes good care of his stuff ". BTW i overfilled first time also, WHAT A MESS!!
FLYINGBLIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:49 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGBLIND View Post
NOT pathetic. I think its a good idea, i like to see people who are picky maintainers. If you were ever to sell (to buy another warrior of course) you could show somebody this and they would say " wow this guy takes good care of his stuff ". BTW i overfilled first time also, WHAT A MESS!!
When I first got my Warrior I wasn't used to having a bike with a dry sump oiling system and over filled it too. As a result of that I now have a turkey baster in my garage as part of my tool collection.
overheadcam427 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Oh yes, the good old turkey baster. Had to use that before.

The Earth Is Full - Go Home.

Dunecraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post

3. Over to the front left side of the bike, you will see the 1st drain plug (I have the wrench on it).
It is 17mm, if its not, do not remove it.
5. Now the rear drain plug....Again it is 17mm!
That's so true! Last year I was changing the oil in the garage. It was the end of the day after work, I was a bit tired so I removed the transfer case plug.
Pro: new transmission fluid
Con: had to spend extra time and money.

So make sure it is 17mm
dawlazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #16 (permalink)

Thanks for the post/pics. Gonna do mine tomorrow if the weather holds. Need to do plugs too but that may have to wait til I get my vbak.

hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #17 (permalink)

Congrats on a fine tutorial and thank you!

Night Demon -
Winner -

First
with the Demon - Another

Friends call me Floren, join the
group on Facebook
"If you are not sure, just open the throttle"
TECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 01:46 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGBLIND View Post
I like to see people who are picky maintainers. If you were ever to sell (to buy another warrior of course) you could show somebody this and they would say " wow this guy takes good care of his stuff ".....
Right! Little did they know he took it to the strip and dragged it all day long after the oil change....LOL................................... ......j/k.....thanks for the tutorial, I like it.

A well maintained bike does not always necessarily mean it was ridden sensibly though. I take really good care of my Warrior, but I ride it like I stole it. The same goes for my S2000 and ZX6R. Having said that a well maintained machine with good records is always a safer purchase over one without one, regardless of how it was ridden.

Now everybody go to your garage, put he bike against the wall and do some rev-jumping burn outs in 3rd gear

Last edited by rx_warrior; 03-24-2012 at 01:48 PM.
rx_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #19 (permalink)

Forgive my newbie-ness, but do you have to ride it prior to changing, or can you just let it get to operating temp and change then? Got a REAL low front tire so that's why I'm asking. Just gonna pull the front wheel off and go to local gas station to put air in it.

hellstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Forgive my newbie-ness, but do you have to ride it prior to changing, or can you just let it get to operating temp and change then? Got a REAL low front tire so that's why I'm asking. Just gonna pull the front wheel off and go to local gas station to put air in it.
you can just warm it up if you want. or go fill the front tire and then change the oil after a short ride. but what you REALLY should do is go buy a cheap air tank. it'll come in handy on occasion
iowawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Library Section > How To's and General Maintenance Tips