Another oil change tutorial - Page 3 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 AM   #21 (permalink)

Excellent.....that correct warm up and the 30 second idle is ESSENTIAL for correct oil level. I finally learned that after 8 years of ownership and several oil puddles:}:}
fcwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 12:22 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default Great write up

Great Write Up.. LMAO!

Which Bolt,,,, Yep,,,, been There,,,
Over filled,,,,,Yep,,,, Been There,,,
Turkey Baster,,,,Yep,,, Been There,,,,
Forgot to put the filler cap back on,,,,, Yep,,,, Been There Too!

Rounded Off Engine Drain Bolt,,,,,,,,,, Almost was there.

I got this idea from somebody on the 4m on how to mod a drain bolt wrench. Makes it alot easier to loosen.

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-t...rench-mod.html

G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1256day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #23 (permalink)

So..... I overfilled...... What's the proper way to check the oil? So I don't overfill it again
and I get the correct amount of errrl in her before my big ride tomorrow night.....
Andy.Shipman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 PM   #24 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum

Watch this video:

https://www.starmotorcycles.com/star...2&mid=61&tid=8

You should have about 4.5 - 5 quarts in when you are done.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LeaderDuece; 06-15-2012 at 09:34 PM.
LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:19 PM   #25 (permalink)

Today I did my first oil change on my Warrior and I followed this tutorial to a "T". I'm happy to report that it could not have gone smoother and it turned out to be a pleasant experience. The manual says 4.1 litres if putting in a new oil filter but it actually took about 4.5 litres probably because I used the bosch filter which is physically a little longer than the yam oem filter. Thanks again for the tutorial, it saved me all kinds of time. Oh and I switched to mobil synthetic v-twin oil and maybe it's my imagination but I noticed less metallic noise coming from the engine now, seems to run smoother.
fdesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunecraz View Post
I know this is dorky, but a few years ago I changed the oil and forgot to put ONLY 3.5 qts in then start it, rev it a few times, shut it off, then continue filling it up. Instead, I just started pouring and pouring right down the funnel until I had oil coming out the top of the oil tank and running all over the bike and all over the floor.

So, dorky or not I didn't want to do that again and I was always having to look up to see how much oil it takes when i was due for an oil change so this is what I came up with.

Attachment 7498
I used an old laundry detergent container and cut it down so it would fit under the bike and wrote directions for my short term memory.

Attachment 7499
On the other side I made note of how much oil the tank and engine hold.

Pretty pathetic, huh? Oh well, it works!!!
I am so stealing this idea.

Only a Biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.

dfhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

Thanks for the GREAT post, your timing was excellent..! About to do my first oil change since I bought the bike last month.

" Don't forget to put you feet down when you stop..! "

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford

rhd47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to 68ramair

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellstar View Post
Forgive my newbie-ness, but do you have to ride it prior to changing, or can you just let it get to operating temp and change then? Got a REAL low front tire so that's why I'm asking. Just gonna pull the front wheel off and go to local gas station to put air in it.
I know this was a few months ago.

Your going to pull your front wheel off to fill it with air? A $10 hand pump goes a long way. I keep one in each car along with a plug kit. I've never been stranded with a flat tire. I plugged it every time and filled it with the hand pump. Only twice I had to use the spare because the tire was beyond a plug.
68ramair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #29 (permalink)

Thanks, great tutorial!

**** that oil comes out quite hot after a 10 min ride!

Sent from my A500
dnowlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:08 AM   #30 (permalink)

Default Thank you

This was so helpful! Avalon and I changed our oil for the first time yesterday (over to synthetic). Her and I kept the pics and directions up on the phone and we were so glad to have had this thread to refer to. We also used a bike lift for the first time and that was the tricky part. We made a huge mess (embarrassing pics below) but are better for the experience and feel accomplished that we did it ourselves
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002x2edit.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	266.0 KB
ID:	11172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0002x3.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	11173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0257.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	11174  
Sherriism is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Library Section > How To's and General Maintenance Tips