Another oil change tutorial - Page 6 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 12:52 AM   #51 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Doesn't matter, just normal riding so the oil fully circulates several times and gets warm enough. Then its important to NOT rev it before shutting off the motor, which by now you know why that is important from the video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2012, 10:15 AM   #52 (permalink)

Thumbs up Oil Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Doesn't matter, just normal riding so the oil fully circulates several times and gets warm enough. Then its important to NOT rev it before shutting off the motor, which by now you know why that is important from the video.

I didn't rev it before/during a 30 second idle. I followed the directions as posted. I not sure why it took a day to get the oil level to come up. I initially
added the 4.3 ish but like I said in the beginning of my post the oil barely came up to the bottom of the dip stick, And that worried me so I kept on adding oil until I got a full reading. Next oil change I'm gonna just add the 4.3 and call it good.

This was obviously my first oil change with this bike, a little trial and error for my own piece mind.

Again the write up was spot on. Thx for all the comments and suggestions.

02 Warrior
07 YZ450F

Last edited by hebegb66; 11-06-2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: sp
hebegb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #53 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Yep, we have all been there !

arizonawarrior is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #54 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
What is your secret, do you have an external oil cooler that isn't shown in your Album? If you are checking your oil level according to the video for a dry sump motor then forgive me but I don't understand why you are installing 5 Liters (5.3 Quarts) for an oil change when that overfills the system when the motor is operating. The service manual shows the total system contains 5 Liters but that's if you tear the motor down and rebuild it. Doing an oil change its hard to get every drop out of the motor even running it for a few seconds. Most people get a 'full' reading at about the 4.1-Liters (4.3 Quarts). I use a longer oil filter but that only gets a bit more oil.
did oil change by the book and 4.5 litres just shows quarter way up dip stick 5 litres brings it up to full mark but i did notice a little blowed in my breather box so next year i will have to try 4.75 litres and get her half way up the stick . and no extra oil cooler all stock motor...

102 CI TORQUE MONSTER.
Midnight Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #55 (permalink)

arizonawarrior you were right Nov 12 and we have 20 c day went for a 2 hour ride and checked oil when got home and it was a little full drew out 300 to 400 ml and got her 2 thirds way up dip stick so about 4.5 litres for next year... thanks...

102 CI TORQUE MONSTER.

Last edited by Midnight Ray; 11-12-2012 at 04:35 PM.
Midnight Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:39 PM   #56 (permalink)

Are the plugs different for different years?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
erfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:04 AM   #57 (permalink)

If you mean oil drain plugs. No I don't think so. One may have been changed. If you mean spark plugs no.

DARK MIDKNIGHT WARRIOR
Check out the DIY MOD LISTfor many free, cheap, easy Mods!! You will be glad you did!
Nightshifter's and Insomniac's Thread New Member FAQ
rcoligan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:45 AM   #58 (permalink)

No. Plugs are the same -17mm

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:03 PM   #59 (permalink)

Default 1st Time Oil Change

Hey Everyone! I just changed my own oil for the first time today and it couldn't have been easier. Thanks for the great instructions with pics... I know I would have messed something up without this tutorial. Best!
Smooth_126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 08:10 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
No. Plugs are the same -17mm

Isnt the plugs an 18 mm?

............................................... |_ |_| \/ ^/_ |_ /\ |= |\/| ( (...............................................
Luv2LafMcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Library Section > How To's and General Maintenance Tips