RS Warrior Forum banner

Another oil change tutorial

87K views 75 replies 43 participants last post by  redbullssg 
#1 · (Edited)
Just did the oil change this morning and thought I'd share....First thing I did was ride the bike for about 15 mins around the block to loosen up the oil.

1. This is where the oil goes in..

2. I switched to Mobil 1 from Amsoil. I didnt feel like looking for the amsoil secret society so I just went to walmart. Plus I heard its just as good.

3. Over to the front left side of the bike, you will see the 1st drain plug (I have the wrench on it).
It is 17mm, if its not, do not remove it.

4. While your there, remove the filter as well;

5. Now the rear drain plug....Again it is 17mm!

6. I measured how much came out by putting the drained oil into an empty 5 qt container. As you can see 4.5 qt came out, and thats what I put back in.

******After filling her with 2.5 qts, start her up for about 10 secs and fill in the rest. And make sure you tighten everything back******

See less See more
#4 ·
Great idea putting this on here again. When i done my first oil change a while back i had so much trouble finding the rear plug. I actually found most of the written info but the threads were so old the pics didnt work anymore. I accidentally removed a plug from transfer case before i figured it out.

#10 ·
I know this is dorky, but a few years ago I changed the oil and forgot to put ONLY 3.5 qts in then start it, rev it a few times, shut it off, then continue filling it up. Instead, I just started pouring and pouring right down the funnel until I had oil coming out the top of the oil tank and running all over the bike and all over the floor:mad::mad::mad:.

So, dorky or not I didn't want to do that again and I was always having to look up to see how much oil it takes when i was due for an oil change so this is what I came up with.

Text Font Calligraphy Handwriting

I used an old laundry detergent container and cut it down so it would fit under the bike and wrote directions for my short term memory.:rolleyes:

Text Font Lighting Label Paper

On the other side I made note of how much oil the tank and engine hold.

Pretty pathetic, huh?:eek: Oh well, it works!!!

#12 ·
I know this is dorky, but a few years ago I changed the oil and forgot to put ONLY 3.5 qts in then start it, rev it a few times, shut it off, then continue filling it up. Instead, I just started pouring and pouring right down the funnel until I had oil coming out the top of the oil tank and running all over the bike and all over the floor:mad::mad::mad:.

So, dorky or not I didn't want to do that again and I was always having to look up to see how much oil it takes when i was due for an oil change so this is what I came up with.

View attachment 7498
I used an old laundry detergent container and cut it down so it would fit under the bike and wrote directions for my short term memory.:rolleyes:

View attachment 7499
On the other side I made note of how much oil the tank and engine hold.

Pretty pathetic, huh?:eek: Oh well, it works!!!
NOT pathetic. I think its a good idea, i like to see people who are picky maintainers. If you were ever to sell (to buy another warrior of course) you could show somebody this and they would say " wow this guy takes good care of his stuff ". BTW i overfilled first time also, WHAT A MESS!!

#15 ·
3. Over to the front left side of the bike, you will see the 1st drain plug (I have the wrench on it).
It is 17mm, if its not, do not remove it.
5. Now the rear drain plug....Again it is 17mm!
That's so true! Last year I was changing the oil in the garage. It was the end of the day after work, I was a bit tired so I removed the transfer case plug.
Pro: new transmission fluid
Con: had to spend extra time and money.

So make sure it is 17mm

#19 ·
Forgive my newbie-ness, but do you have to ride it prior to changing, or can you just let it get to operating temp and change then? Got a REAL low front tire so that's why I'm asking. Just gonna pull the front wheel off and go to local gas station to put air in it.

#20 ·
Forgive my newbie-ness, but do you have to ride it prior to changing, or can you just let it get to operating temp and change then? Got a REAL low front tire so that's why I'm asking. Just gonna pull the front wheel off and go to local gas station to put air in it.
you can just warm it up if you want. or go fill the front tire and then change the oil after a short ride. but what you REALLY should do is go buy a cheap air tank. it'll come in handy on occasion

#22 ·
Great write up

Great Write Up.. LMAO!

Which Bolt,,,, Yep,,,, been There,,,
Over filled,,,,,Yep,,,, Been There,,,
Turkey Baster,,,,Yep,,, Been There,,,,
Forgot to put the filler cap back on,,,,, Yep,,,, Been There Too!

Rounded Off Engine Drain Bolt,,,,,,,,,, Almost was there.

I got this idea from somebody on the 4m on how to mod a drain bolt wrench. Makes it alot easier to loosen.

http://www.rswarrior.com/forums/13-technical-discussion/176098-oil-drain-bolt-wrench-mod.html

G

#25 ·
Today I did my first oil change on my Warrior and I followed this tutorial to a "T". I'm happy to report that it could not have gone smoother and it turned out to be a pleasant experience. The manual says 4.1 litres if putting in a new oil filter but it actually took about 4.5 litres probably because I used the bosch filter which is physically a little longer than the yam oem filter. Thanks again for the tutorial, it saved me all kinds of time. Oh and I switched to mobil synthetic v-twin oil and maybe it's my imagination but I noticed less metallic noise coming from the engine now, seems to run smoother.

#30 ·
Thank you

This was so helpful! Avalon and I changed our oil for the first time yesterday (over to synthetic). Her and I kept the pics and directions up on the phone and we were so glad to have had this thread to refer to. We also used a bike lift for the first time and that was the tricky part. We made a huge mess (embarrassing pics below) but are better for the experience and feel accomplished that we did it ourselves :eek:

Attachments

#31 ·
This was so helpful! Avalon and I changed our oil for the first time yesterday (over to synthetic). Her and I kept the pics and directions up on the phone and we were so glad to have had this thread to refer to. We also used a bike lift for the first time and that was the tricky part. We made a huge mess (embarrassing pics below) but are better for the experience and feel accomplished that we did it ourselves :eek:

yeah, thats about how it looked when i tried to change the oil using a lift. no place to put a catch pan. I usually roll the bike up on blocks (kickstand too) not saying thats the safest way but it allows me to work under the bike and fit a catch can

#35 ·
Hello,
Just did my oil change. Took both plugs off as well as the filter, let it drain over night; next morning I leveled the bike, hit the starter button to turn the engine without starting it, let it drain for a couple more hours. Plugged everything back, replaced with new filter, put 2.5 qts of oil in turned it on a few seconds, put the rest of the container in (3.78 total), no oil on dipstick, went and got another qt, ended up putting the whole thing in; just barely on dipstick (yes it's screwed all the way in). Rode it a couple of miles, added another .25 qts and it's midway on the marks. That's about 5 qts total plus I could add another .25 no problem. Specs call for 4.10 w/filter; what is the total system capacity? I know I drained as much as I could get out, but an entire qt. Thanks for any info you give me.

#39 ·
It's been said many, many times, but I will say it again. Thanks for this post. I JUST now changed my oil in my Warrior for the first time since I bought it back in April. Not sure when it was changed prior to that. So I'm a moron for letting it go that long, but I'm not going to let that happen again. Your tutorial was very helpful, it should hopefully be a much faster process next time since I have one change under my belt. Thanks again.

#40 ·
Got a question, Just switched from amsoil to the Mobil1 exact type you pictured.
Now when i decel from third gear i hear a funny noise for half a second. Its sounds like its coming from my clutch or possibly my pully on the left side. Kind of a nub at this but doesn't the warrior have a wet clutch lubed from engine oil? I'm thinking this must be it since its the last thing i did besides replace my decompression solenoid. I just wanted to ask if anyone hears the same noise from after switching to mobil1.

I only hear it when i cut throttle to 0% but leave the clutch engaged in third gear and its only for about half a second tighten it sounds normal. ill test it out more tomorrow i didn't want to keep the how neighborhood awake.

Amazing tut by the way!

#45 ·
Got a question, Just switched from amsoil to the Mobil1 exact type you pictured.
Now when i decel from third gear i hear a funny noise for half a second. Its sounds like its coming from my clutch or possibly my pully on the left side. Kind of a nub at this but doesn't the warrior have a wet clutch lubed from engine oil? I'm thinking this must be it since its the last thing i did besides replace my decompression solenoid. I just wanted to ask if anyone hears the same noise from after switching to mobil1.

I only hear it when i cut throttle to 0% but leave the clutch engaged in third gear and its only for about half a second tighten it sounds normal. ill test it out more tomorrow i didn't want to keep the how neighborhood awake.

Amazing tut by the way!
i've heard that some people have some slippage when they switch to synthetic. i didn't have that problem and i know that lots of people don't have a problem. check it out some more and post up a new thread to keep it on track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.