Another oil change tutorial - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2012, 02:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Another oil change tutorial

Just did the oil change this morning and thought I'd share....First thing I did was ride the bike for about 15 mins around the block to loosen up the oil.

1. This is where the oil goes in..

2. I switched to Mobil 1 from Amsoil. I didnt feel like looking for the amsoil secret society so I just went to walmart. Plus I heard its just as good.

3. Over to the front left side of the bike, you will see the 1st drain plug (I have the wrench on it).
It is 17mm, if its not, do not remove it.

4. While your there, remove the filter as well;

5. Now the rear drain plug....Again it is 17mm!

6. I measured how much came out by putting the drained oil into an empty 5 qt container. As you can see 4.5 qt came out, and thats what I put back in.

******After filling her with 2.5 qts, start her up for about 10 secs and fill in the rest. And make sure you tighten everything back******

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"the bike looks like you went down to h3ll, kicked satan's a$$, and stole his bike."

Last edited by darkside; 03-22-2012 at 02:46 PM.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Remember to put the oil filler cap back on the oil tank every time before starting the bike!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizonawarrior View Post
Remember to put the oil filler cap back on the oil tank every time before starting the bike!
oh yeah, sorry man, I worked at a Jiffy Lube years ago. lol

"the bike looks like you went down to h3ll, kicked satan's a$$, and stole his bike."
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 03:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Great idea putting this on here again. When i done my first oil change a while back i had so much trouble finding the rear plug. I actually found most of the written info but the threads were so old the pics didnt work anymore. I accidentally removed a plug from transfer case before i figured it out.
FLYINGBLIND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the post. Reminded me that mines due..

parkinglot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkside View Post
oh yeah, sorry man, I worked at a Jiffy Lube years ago. lol
lmao nice
Royale With Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great pictorial. Reminds me I'm about due...

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Beautiful, thank you. Need to do mine sometime soon, and your post will save me time from the search function.
fdesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 06:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you.

ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know this is dorky, but a few years ago I changed the oil and forgot to put ONLY 3.5 qts in then start it, rev it a few times, shut it off, then continue filling it up. Instead, I just started pouring and pouring right down the funnel until I had oil coming out the top of the oil tank and running all over the bike and all over the floor.

So, dorky or not I didn't want to do that again and I was always having to look up to see how much oil it takes when i was due for an oil change so this is what I came up with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0364.jpg
Views:	4128
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	7498
I used an old laundry detergent container and cut it down so it would fit under the bike and wrote directions for my short term memory.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0366.jpg
Views:	3728
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	7499
On the other side I made note of how much oil the tank and engine hold.

Pretty pathetic, huh? Oh well, it works!!!

The Earth Is Full - Go Home.

Dunecraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Library Section > How To's and General Maintenance Tips