about barnett's idiotism... - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2019, 05:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry about barnett's idiotism...

Two days ago I had a strange feeling that the clutch is working incorrectly. Today the effects of malfunction increased. I set up the cable very carefully. Almost rided to home, as suddenly the effort on the clutch lever was gone. While I was on the road, I assumed that I had sentenced another barnet cable (I had sentenced 2 before). But after inspection, it became clear that the cable was intact, but there was no effort on the clutch squeezing rod.

I took the bike to my friend's service. I had several assumptions, but one version was basic. For her, I was prepared in advance. I had a cap gasket, oil residue for the engine, and a release plate bearing. Why? Because I always keep a small stock of parts and consumables, especially those units, with the breakdowns of which I encountered before or heard about them from the nearest environment.

And that's what the autopsy showed. As I expected, the release bearing collapsed. But I could not assume was that the barnett would make the separator plastic. PLASTIC! Which stands against six red springs! Idiocy!

In my case, I was very lucky to face this problem in the city, close to home, close to service. I ran into this in less than 3,000 kilometers!

Barnett, you did ****!

freeezzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2019, 06:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

It sucks you've had these problems. I've run the sr2 plate with red springs for a few years now with the stock clutch cable. No issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can be anything you want on the internet, Strange so many people choose to be stupid. -Mark Twain-
madtom421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

On my previous warrior I've used 511-90-10002 plate with gold springs and with green springs for about 70.000km. Had no problems. But my friend had a problem with this bearing then it was with steel separator. That only one story. Other users was happy. But this time with plastic separator I think I could broke it even with gold springs. In Russia, in Moscow high trafic, we use the "gray zone" of clutch very intensive. But previous version of plate was much more solid than modern with plastic!

Old 05-25-2019, 02:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I wonder if that is a knock-off fake?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 03:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Very doubt in this version. The cost of the bearing is nothing compared to the cost of plate milling. I have already filed a claim on the barnett's site.
Old 05-25-2019, 06:36 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was about to be buying 3 Barnetts pressure plates with gold springs... Hearing about Barnetts milling of the teeth being too shallow and now this... maybe I'll just buy Yamaha spring clutch instead .....Item number 26 on the fiche.

After reading about a few saying that the 3 plate mod works good with the Barnetts pressure plate, I'm wondering if that mod would work with the Yamaha spring clutch?

Good luck with your repair and Barnett claim freeezzzz .... Something you should never have had to do.

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH FIREFOX..

TO SEE OLD PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES WITH GOOGLE CHROME..

Caledonian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Barnett claim is in process. They said that they don't use plastic anywhere. I don't believe them. I have so many info about installed product, pictures, buying data on Ebay, etc, etc.

This problem I already solved. I've replaced bearing to Koyo.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

I stopped buying certain parts on Ebay because I got fake parts a couple times. I wonder if this is the case here? If you are certain this machined part has plastic then it appears it's fake.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

I'm not sure about plastic, but not metal exactly. Mass is less, no magnetis and structure is fibrous which is visible even in the photo. I sent all the information to the barnett website, I have all the boxes.

If someone hope forges such a detail with this bearing - this is stupid. Moreover, I have never seen bearings with such separators available for sale. It turns out that if someone had a motive to make a copy a plate, he accurately copied the product of the barnett, all the markings, their location, the color of anodizing. With the same problem of milling, which as I read on this forum and wich I saw my self. Barnett has recognized this and exchanged defective plates, customers told. And plus all, the "fraudster" found a very strange and rare bearing with a plastic separator? A lot of inconsistencies. I think barnett is not the brand that makes sense to fake. And all the more, the barnett recognized some of their mistakes already.

Mistakes happen to all. The task to get to the truth
Old 05-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #10 (permalink)

freeezzzz sorry to read of your issue with the Barnett supplied Throw-out bearing (TOB). Imho the Koyo branded bearing should do the task fine.
I do remember one forum member some years ago that after a couple of failures replaced the TOB with a $60.00 ceramic bearing but never reported back as to its outcome.
Link/url enclosed below.

As you probably know Bearing Cages/Retainers come in several type materials:
  1. Steel alloy
  2. Non-Ferrous Metal (aluminum, copper & zinc Alloys)
  3. Non-metallic polymers & composite materials such as plastic etc.
barnett coil spring conversion kit throwout bearing replacement

I would suggest that you inspect the Clutch Pull-Rod Face thoroughly for any damage/pitting and pack TOB with proper grease during assembly!

I've had the Gold springs in my Barnett clutch kit for probably +40K miles and have never experienced any issue but don't ride under the same conditions that you do in Moscow.
Lots of my miles were stacked up in Southern California traffic but Lane Splitting was legal

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Marketplace > Yamaha & Aftermarket Dealer Reviews