RS Warrior Forum banner

Oil Leak

6K views 49 replies 10 participants last post by  arizonawarrior 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was hoping that you can give your advise on the leak from the oil filter.
I did oil change and used Bosch #3323 filter. After a few days I found a leak between the oil filter and housing. I installed a new filter but very next day, there was a oil puddle under the bike.
Should I go back to original Yamaha filter? I didn’t see any residue on the wall where filter sits. Do I need to replace the oil filter housing? Thank you!

#38 · (Edited)
Ok, so I got a bunch of pics and measurements.
The Older 3323 (Black label), Current newer 3323 (White label) and just to add in since I had it a 3323ST (White label)(Not sure about the factory specs on the 3323ST yet.)

(Maybe we should start a new thread on this filter and a usable fix ?)

I took pics of these areas-

1 Box and label comparison
2 Filter height comparison
3 Top comparison
4 Center face comparison
5 Inside comparison

1 Box and label comparison-

2 Filter height comparison-

3 Top comparison-

4 Center face comparison-

5 Inside comparison -

I took measurements with pics of these areas-
1 Base diameter
2 Height with the rubber gasket
3 Height without the rubber gasket
4 Height of the rubber gaskets
5 Thickness of the rubber gaskets
6 Depth of the gasket seats on the filters
7 Depth of the inside of the filters
8 Depth of the threaded flange area just outside the threads to flush with rubber gasket

1 Base diameter -

2 Height with the rubber gasket-

3 Height without the rubber gasket-

4 Height of the rubber gaskets -

5 Thickness of the rubber gaskets

6 Depth of the gasket seats on the filters-

7 Depth of the inside of the filters

8 Depth of the threaded flange area just outside the threads to flush with rubber gasket-

Rudy Jeremias (rij1)

#40 ·
The baseplate area of the filter is contacting the union nipple/bolt hex tightening area and bottoms out before the rubber oil filter seal mates tightly to the adapter plate surface (Red areas in the pic)
So it leaks between(Blue areas in the pic).
Here's a pic I edited to show.
There's a fix to the filter which isn't hard to do.

#46 ·
Bosch was popular here for its great quality and its long oil change interval and it was good for dino-oil or synthetic. Plus it came in longer canisters. Originally it was mostly all black which lots of us liked.

A number of oil filter brands made the same type changes resulting in less concave space. I've been finding hot rod car and truck sites, race sites, and bike sites suffering the same leak. Most found different filters, then some of those different filters were also changed to shallower concave and so those folks went thru the pain twice.

If you follow the threads containing dimensions and pictures then you can open the box for any brand firment while in the store and measure with a flat and a caliper.

The Yamaha factory oil filter still fits and seals, but its small and doesn't last as long. And its crazy expensive.

#48 ·
I expected tapping it down would just flatten the other end, I gave it a go and remeasured finding the same dimension with no change. Hitting it harder indeed dented the other end, still no difference in the concave end. Also tried in a rag in a loose vice. Bosch 3323 white label. Others somehow managed to get results.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.