Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/)
-   Site News (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/5-site-news/)
-   -   Member Poll on Proposed 'For Trade' Forum (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/5-site-news/182219-member-poll-proposed-trade-forum.html)

joeysmith 09-19-2012 09:59 AM

Bump

tomba 09-19-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce59 (Post 2332520)
There is not a lot of participation here.
I don't think it is prudent to let 50 or so members,( or 1/2 that) speak for a membership of thousands.
Hopefully you will look at the commentary and strength of the points made and not just numbers.
Only a random few have stumbled upon this thread.
Hopefully some uncommon sense will prevail here.

uncommom sense...huh...hahahaha - thought that we had that in bucket loads

we don't need common sense when we got laws now do we :D

arizonawarrior 09-19-2012 12:27 PM

To enhance readership and reply comments I've clarified the thread Title to: Member Poll on Proposed 'For Trade' Forum

My opinion on the reply post numbers is simple. This is an international forum and to a great extent common sense is learned socially so what's sensible in one place may be acceptable elsewhere meaning its not the forum's place to stomp on member ideas on that basis. As always is the case everywhere, not just here, those who log-in and participate often have the opportunity to make their own case for change. Those who log-in less often are less effected and those who seldom visit are seldom effected, so from that view those who participate less also have less opportunity to make their own case for change. I suppose members can email members who haven't logged-in for awhile, but there's not much the forum can do.

In the middle of all this, please remember this isn't really a vote its a Poll. The decision to add this forum would then be subjected to moderator's looking at everything that has been said and trying to determine what is best for those who show up and participate regularly. To do anything else is guesswork and we don't know how those absent would comment. So as far as the forum is concerned none of us have decided anything yet.

Speaking only for myself I believe we want to encourage as many views on this topic to be posted as possible and we don't want to tell people what to say. This is a biker forum, we are individuals, people here can decide for themselves if the Trades forum would make their lives easier or more time-consuming and they can either post up or stay silent. Their choices. No worries.

Sherriism 09-19-2012 12:33 PM

Really?

Quote:

I don't think it is prudent to let 50 or so members,( or 1/2 that) speak for a membership of thousands.
Hopefully you will look at the commentary and strength of the points made and not just numbers.

Is that thousands of active members that regularly participate in the forum? Are you proposing that the Moderators wait until 50, or 500, or X number of other members "stumble" upon this thread and participate? How long should they wait before someone will complain that they are not acknowledging member’s requests in an appropriate time frame?

By the replies the Mods have posted, they are paying attention to the commentary and not just the numbers.

"Hopefully some uncommon sense will prevail here." What about this thread calls for that statement?

waydes 09-19-2012 03:20 PM

Bump,

Looks like this might get passed??????

arizonawarrior 09-19-2012 03:55 PM

The poll runs until the 28th IMO anything can happen its all up to members making the case for what they personally want and leaving it to others to make their own case.

madtom421 09-19-2012 04:03 PM

373 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawarrior (Post 2332703)
The poll runs until the 28th IMO anything can happen its all up to members making the case for what they personally want and leaving it to others to make their own case.

Who exactly are we making a case against? Everytime I have ever spoken with Admin about subject matter on this forum they have made it clear to me that the moderators pretty much run this forum in reguards to site content of this nature.

arizonawarrior 09-19-2012 04:16 PM

The content is already allowed. This is a question of where to put it.

madtom421 09-19-2012 04:23 PM

373 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by arizonawarrior (Post 2332714)
The content is already allowed. This is a question of where to put it.

Put it in the market place. I thought this was about whether or not members wanted a trade section???

bruce59 09-19-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomba (Post 2332597)
uncommom sense...huh...hahahaha - thought that we had that in bucket loads

we don't need common sense when we got laws now do we :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherriism (Post 2332604)
Is that thousands of active members that regularly participate in the forum? You are asking the wrong person. Are you proposing that the Moderators wait until 50, or 500, or X number of other members "stumble" upon this thread and participate? No .
How long should they wait before someone will complain that they are not acknowledging member’s requests in an appropriate time frame? You are asking the wrong person.

By the replies the Mods have posted, they are paying attention to the commentary and not just the numbers. Actually Sang's comment prior to my post said he would watch the voting and didn't mention the commentary. I noticed much of the voting ( without explanation or comments) seemed to be adding up opposite to the commentary. Hence, my comment.

"Hopefully some uncommon sense will prevail here." What about this thread calls for that statement? In case you haven't noticed , society in general and my personal hope called for that statement. As Tomba mentioned above and certainly in my experience there are way too many decisions made , and laws decreed on the basis of the desires of a few that achieve results which are very impractical and sometimes dangerous.

Hi Sherriism. Welcome to the forum! Really !

madtom421 09-19-2012 06:40 PM

373 Attachment(s)
So because a couple people voice their opinions against this idea we should disregard the poll? Whats the purpose of the poll then?

Sherriism 09-19-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce59 (Post 2332747)
Is that thousands of active members that regularly participate in the forum? You are asking the wrong person.

I am addressing your statements. Asking for clarification of your intention. Indeed I am asking the right person.

Are you proposing that the Moderators wait until 50, or 500, or X number of other members "stumble" upon this thread and participate? No .

Ok. Is there a better way to handle these propositions in your opinion?

How long should they wait before someone will complain that they are not acknowledging member’s requests in an appropriate time frame? You are asking the wrong person.

See responses above.

By the replies the Mods have posted, they are paying attention to the commentary and not just the numbers. Actually Sang's comment prior to my post said he would watch the voting and didn't mention the commentary. I noticed much of the voting ( without explanation or comments) seemed to be adding up opposite to the commentary. Hence, my comment.

And Arizonawarriors post prior to yours did. "I think we should keep this Poll going awhile longer and see if more members might post their helpful comments." I noticed this as well, and know this is being watched for.
Either way, a poll is a poll. The Admins have no control over who chooses to chime in and actually vote (or comment) and who does not.

"Hopefully some uncommon sense will prevail here." What about this thread calls for that statement? In case you haven't noticed , society in general and my personal hope called for that statement. As Tomba mentioned above and certainly in my experience there are way too many decisions made , and laws decreed on the basis of the desires of a few that achieve results which are very impractical and sometimes dangerous.

"In case you haven't noticed..." Now now, beginning your retort with lashing isn't very incisive. How is this relative to the simple subject matter of to create a seperate thread or not? Dangerous? This sounds more personal/political than simply a vote for a forum thread... or not. Not on point.

Quote:

Hi Sherriism. Welcome to the forum!

I do feel welcome! I love it here.:D

bruce59 09-19-2012 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherriism (Post 2332759)

Have to go share some smiles and gibberish with my 11 week old wonderful boy. Sorry I don't have time to participate in your confrontational escalation of your unwarranted critique of my genuine post which originated in my great appreciation of and concern for this forum. Maybe another time!:cool:

jmlanz 09-19-2012 07:59 PM

I had to vote no on this I have used the classifieds and like the idea off hving to just click mon that and see everything for sale trade or otherwise-make it simple-:D

madtom421 09-19-2012 08:01 PM

373 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce59 (Post 2332773)
Have to go share some smiles and gibberish with my 11 week old wonderful boy. Sorry I don't have time to participate in your confrontational escalation of your unwarranted critique of my genuine post which originated in my great appreciation of and concern for this forum. Maybe another time!:cool:

I never knew a trade section would be so detrimental to the forum.

bruce59 09-19-2012 09:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherriism (Post 2332604)
Is that thousands of active members that regularly participate in the forum? Are you proposing that the Moderators wait until 50, or 500, or X number of other members "stumble" upon this thread and participate? How long should they wait before someone will complain that they are not acknowledging member’s requests in an appropriate time frame?

By the replies the Mods have posted, they are paying attention to the commentary and not just the numbers.

"Hopefully some uncommon sense will prevail here." What about this thread calls for that statement?

Quote:

Hi Sherriism. Welcome to the forum! Really !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherriism (Post 2332759)

Is that thousands of active members that regularly participate in the forum? You are asking the wrong person.

I am addressing your statements. Asking for clarification of your intention. Indeed I am asking the right person.

This is a clear statement and I already conveyed it :There is not a lot of participation here.

Are you proposing that the Moderators wait until 50, or 500, or X number of other members "stumble" upon this thread and participate? No .

Yes. As I have already stated most of the members who have taken time to explain their position feel it would be more practical and user friendly to have one forum to look in for such items. People who feel otherwise are welcome to post up and explain why. I feel that is much better information for consideration than numbers in a poll.

See responses above.

You are asking the wrong person.

And Arizonawarriors post prior to yours did. "I think we should keep this Poll going awhile longer and see if more members might post their helpful comments." I noticed this as well, and know this is being watched for.
Either way, a poll is a poll. The Admins have no control over who chooses to chime in and actually vote (or comment) and who does not.

Yes . Don't seem to be seeing much helpful commentary from you or MadTom. I would welcome it.

"In case you haven't noticed..." Now now, beginning your retort with lashing isn't very incisive. How is this relative to the simple subject matter of to create a seperate thread or not? Dangerous? This sounds more personal/political than simply a vote for a forum thread... or not. Not on point.

Not a retort and not lashing. Just an answer to your question. Common sense ( seemingly becoming uncommon) is relative to any prudent decision making process. Are you really making an issue of whether or not I have experienced decision making that resulted in impractical or dangerous dynamics. That's not something I care to dignify with further comment.

Again, the motivation for my original posts is pure and I made them because I care about the forum.
Unlike some, I don't enjoy when my time has to be wasted with interaction that has degenerated to this.
With all due respect.
Bruce.

madtom421 09-19-2012 10:48 PM

373 Attachment(s)
Calm down sir its just a trade section poll. Please don't drag my name into your rant because i don't think a trade section is that bad of a idea. Do I feel like writing a long winded essay on why I think it's a good idea.....no I voted. If the purpose of this thread is to debate which side is right untill people start getting angry/ passive agressive with each other we might as well allow politics. Most members probaly see the BS that's going on in this thread and don't want to bother with commenting so let's try to keep it civil and get more participation.

JoBoo 09-20-2012 03:15 AM

In this economy Bartering has become more prevalent. I don't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to the Forum so narrowing down to me would be helpful. That way if I happen to have the cash to buy something I could go the the "For Sale" section for a quick browse. If cash is tight but I have things to trade/barter I could quickly browse that section. My .02 :-)

Irishman 09-20-2012 04:28 AM

I don't care either way, but I would like to see a way to leave feedback on members after a transaction. The Vulcan forum does, why can;t we?

LeaderDuece 09-20-2012 06:39 AM

599 Attachment(s)
Because we're not Vulcans Spock!! Dang it we're humans!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

bruce59 09-20-2012 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeaderDuece (Post 2332902)
Because we're not Vulcans Spock!! Dang it we're humans!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Now that's funny ! Lol

madtom421 09-20-2012 08:30 AM

373 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the pm Bruce you're a class act.

bruce59 09-20-2012 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madtom421 (Post 2332926)
Thanks for the pm Bruce you're a class act.

Gotta work. No more time for you.

madtom421 09-20-2012 08:52 AM

373 Attachment(s)
Too funny, have a nice day Bruce :)

Caledonian Warrior 09-20-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishman (Post 2332889)
I don't care either way, but I would like to see a way to leave feedback on members after a transaction. The Vulcan forum does, why can;t we?

Is this what you mean Irishman ?

https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/26-c...ings-here.html

Gav.

Sherriism 09-20-2012 09:45 AM

Ok

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce59 (Post 2332773)

11 weeks! How beautiful! 16 years ago I had the pleasure of those tiny moments and they are very precious. Congrats.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruce59 (Post 2332820)

This is a clear statement and I already conveyed it :There is not a lot of participation here.

Yes. As I have already stated most of the members who have taken time to explain their position feel it would be more practical and user friendly to have one forum to look in for such items. People who feel otherwise are welcome to post up and explain why. I feel that is much better information for consideration than numbers in a poll.

See responses above.

You are asking the wrong person.

Yes . Don't seem to be seeing much helpful commentary from you or MadTom. I would welcome it.

Not a retort and not lashing. Just an answer to your question. Common sense ( seemingly becoming uncommon) is relative to any prudent decision making process. Are you really making an issue of whether or not I have experienced decision making that resulted in impractical or dangerous dynamics. That's not something I care to dignify with further comment.

Again, the motivation for my original posts is pure and I made them because I care about the forum.
Unlike some, I don't enjoy when my time has to be wasted with interaction that has degenerated to this.
With all due respect.
Bruce.

Rather than continuing to dissect…
The original statement you posted was not viewed as helpful or positive by several members, not just myself. I have too many scientists and law students in my life I suppose, so I am not used to people taking personally having to clarify...especially when posting publicly. I was questioning, not being malicious, vindictive, or the other things you graciously have said. I could not help myself as your responses are not clear, or simply do not provide a clear understanding of why it was made a point… just quite emotional.

If you do not have time to respond to reactions on what you have posted in a public space, then why post? Rather, why take the time to post so much. Not responding, or dignifying as you say, while typing out a diatribe is interesting.

I will digress with this.

arizonawarrior 09-20-2012 11:00 AM

For Good Comments about Members:

For Bad Comments about Members:
We all agreed years ago we don't have enough bad stuff to warrant a separate forum. Members work out their differences in (a) PM Messages first, and then (b) in the Classified Ad that started the transaction. Failing that, a few Members have used the Anything Goes area on rare occasions but its been ineffective for things that got to that point.

For Good and Bad Comments about Yamaha Dealers (including web vendors)
Yamaha Dealers - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irishman (Post 2332889)

bruce59 09-20-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce59 https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/imag...s/viewpost.gif

11 weeks! How beautiful! 16 years ago I had the pleasure of those tiny moments and they are very precious. Congrats.

Thank you ! He's a charming, happy baby and we are quite enchanted.

arizonawarrior 09-20-2012 04:20 PM

I hope that everyone who voted in the Poll also took a moment to type their thinking if they so desire because as mentioned earlier the Poll votes certainly help but the member comments and ways-of-thinking help as much or more.

Irishman 09-20-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caledonian Warrior (Post 2332941)
Is this what you mean Irishman ?

Gav.

Kawasaki Vulcan Forum : Vulcan Forums - View Profile: Irishman
like this, similar to ebay I guess

Irishman 09-20-2012 06:26 PM

itrader, whatever that is! lol

cunningsam 09-21-2012 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoBoo (Post 2332883)
In this economy Bartering has become more prevalent. I don't have a whole lot of time to dedicate to the Forum so narrowing down to me would be helpful. That way if I happen to have the cash to buy something I could go the the "For Sale" section for a quick browse. If cash is tight but I have things to trade/barter I could quickly browse that section. My .02 :-)

This copies my feelings on the matter. I have a bike that I love and I also have a family of 5 on a single income. That being said, I don't always have the funds to buy. If I have some parts that I don't need, I will gladly follow a for trade section as well.

If you don't particularly like the idea of a new for trade section, then you don't have to waste your time going to it. Better for me when someone wants to trade some ground pounders for a stock exhaust because it is too loud! I will get to it first!

madtom421 09-21-2012 04:02 PM

373 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cunningsam (Post 2333274)
This copies my feelings on the matter. I have a bike that I love and I also have a family of 5 on a single income. That being said, I don't always have the funds to buy. If I have some parts that I don't need, I will gladly follow a for trade section as well.

If you don't particularly like the idea of a new for trade section, then you don't have to waste your time going to it. Better for me when someone wants to trade some ground pounders for a stock exhaust because it is too loud! I will get to it first!

+1 couldn't have said it better.

arizonawarrior 09-21-2012 04:41 PM

There's nothing really new here, I'm just reading what's been posted and compiling things that seem to logically follow. Here's a helpful way to consider this. If trades are separated into a new forum then it has several impacts:

a) Members who never want to Trade can ignore it and enjoy a cleaner For Sale forum.
b) Members who only want to Trade can enjoy faster browsing by ignoring other forums.
c) Members who only want to Buy or Sell can ignore the Trades forum entirely.
d) Members who want to see all three WTS WTT WTB have another forum to view.
e) Every time a WTT ad includes WTS it will still be required to be in the For Sale classifieds.
f) Members who never buy sell trade or get free stuff here don't care either way.
g) Did I miss any?

So its possible the question here isn't who will be inconvenienced because nearly everyone will be either way. Maybe the question here is how many are willing to accomodate the additional inconvenience of an extra forum, and how many don't see any benefit to a separate WTT forum versus WTT ads in the For Sale forum, and how many see great benefits to a separate WTT forum over the long term.

Possibly some will disagree but speaking only for myself it seems un-beneficial to start a forum that gets used while members trade what they have, and then in a few months its a ghost town. So maybe to some extent we also need to know who will ONLY participate in a Trade if its posted in its own Trades forum and who will only participate in a buy/sell if no WTT ads delay their browsing (everyone is pressed for time and this is a valid question these days). As I said before this isn't my Poll, I'm just thinking out loud here because pure WTT-Only ads mean they have no WTS option and therefore have no option for money to change hands. I don't know how many WTT-Only ads there might be. This matters because ads for 'WTS or WTT' still require a selling price and therefore would still be in the For Sale forum.

I hope others will voice their thoughts on this because I don't want to sway this Poll, I only want to encourage more conversation so we have the best information possible to work from when its time for the committee to do its thing.

LeaderDuece 09-21-2012 05:15 PM

599 Attachment(s)
Who cares if it hardly gets used? We have a couple forums like that now. Nobody is complaining that its hindering their browsing experience.

I agree it wouldn't get used a whole lot. But we can just ignore it if we don't like it. That's what we do now with the other ones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

twicechosen 09-21-2012 05:28 PM

Recently I needed a belt guard and refused to pay for the full dealership price. I posted on forum WTB and specified cheap. Got a member sending me one cheap, basically shipping. Either way I am good with it. Bottom line still THE best forum around. Thanks.

limotinted 09-21-2012 06:56 PM

Personally I just hit "new posts" when I come to this site so what forum stuff is posted in doesn't matter to me. But the problem with having too many forums (which we already do) is that it makes the site confusing and overwhelming for new users (which we need). The for sale forum is already a mess and should have one section removed to leave only "Bikes for sale" and "Parts and accessories for sale", there are now three sections which is redundant and leads to stuff being posting in the wrong place or missed by potential buyers.

If something is up for trade simply post "WTT". The problem is, as AZ touched on, nothing is truly for trade only. If someone has a belt guard they want to trade and I need it and offer them $50 they're going to sell it to me. One of the best things about the classified section on this site is that prices are required on everything and it's strictly enforced. I foresee people using the trade section as a work around for this because inevitably if something is posted for trade that someone needs there will be a post asking "how much?".

If anything I would like to see the site lose several forum sections that are somewhat redundant and become less bulky and easier for new users to find their way around and become active. My argument isn't so much against a "Trade forum" specifically, it's about not adding unnecessary or redundant forums that further confuse an already overly complicated site lay out. K.I.S.S.

1wingman 09-22-2012 04:18 PM

Trade

Yes sounds great.

arizonawarrior 09-23-2012 12:20 AM

Could you please clarify 'what' sounds great exactly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1wingman (Post 2333504)
Yes sounds great.

Sherriism 09-23-2012 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by limotinted (Post 2333327)
Personally I just hit "new posts" when I come to this site so what forum stuff is posted in doesn't matter to me. But the problem with having too many forums (which we already do) is that it makes the site confusing and overwhelming for new users (which we need). The for sale forum is already a mess and should have one section removed to leave only "Bikes for sale" and "Parts and accessories for sale", there are now three sections which is redundant and leads to stuff being posting in the wrong place or missed by potential buyers.

If something is up for trade simply post "WTT". The problem is, as AZ touched on, nothing is truly for trade only. If someone has a belt guard they want to trade and I need it and offer them $50 they're going to sell it to me. One of the best things about the classified section on this site is that prices are required on everything and it's strictly enforced. I foresee people using the trade section as a work around for this because inevitably if something is posted for trade that someone needs there will be a post asking "how much?".

If anything I would like to see the site lose several forum sections that are somewhat redundant and become less bulky and easier for new users to find their way around and become active. My argument isn't so much against a "Trade forum" specifically, it's about not adding unnecessary or redundant forums that further confuse an already overly complicated site lay out. K.I.S.S.

Very well stated! I agree!