Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/)
-   Site News (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/5-site-news/)
-   -   2008 Topic Integration Team (https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/5-site-news/86011-2008-topic-integration-team.html)

arizonawarrior 10-27-2007 09:04 AM

2008 Topic Integration Team

There's a wiki on the way so this isn't needed.

The information shared in this site is incredible. So incredible that its harder every month to find things even with search!

We haven't talked about this for awhile because we've been out riding. With winter coming, this might be a good time to lay the framework so we can work together to categorize the topics and build a quick-reference sticky.

In past discussions we've all agreed its too big a challenge except if we generally categorize posts by topic Subject title, as that title relates to a part (or a function) of the Warrior. If the topic subject say's 'whats the best handlebar' then a sticky for 'Handlebars' could contain a link to that topic, and a ten-word brief of the topic contents. Or there could just bbe a home-topic for handlebars and a jump from a framework topic.

Every journey starts with a single step, and it takes thousands of bites to eat an elephant. So if there's still interest, I'm still willing to help build the framework, from which the sticky could be built later. With the framework in place, it would just be a question of starting a topic (such as 'Handlebars") and adding a list of links (jumps) to the team-chosen topics.

I still feel the benefits of just a topic for each component/group with a main topic housing the jumps to the topics is useful enough. But last year there were a lot of thoughts on benifits of more depth.

Dice 10-27-2007 09:20 AM

Re: 2008 Topic Integration Team

Think we have enough sticky's as it is, and not enough people use them. Heck, it's hard enough to get people to search in the first place. How many times do we see the same question asked over and over. A day doesn't go by that you don't see one that's been asked 100 times. Doing what you asked would just make using the search engine that much more frustrating, IMO. It would increase the heits on the search for handlebars, making one have to weed through that much more. Like my grandpa used to tell me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

ohiomike 10-27-2007 10:02 AM

I never have a problem with searches.. I think the key is to try more than once. Thankyou Carnee and Steve and Ed and JP for such a great site..

arizonawarrior 10-27-2007 10:16 AM

[[img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]] Still valid points and yes I know I had the same opinion last year.
[?] This year I'm wondering if there's more merit than I saw when it was brought up last year.
[[img]/emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]] Figured it doesn't hurt to ask.
[[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]] Yes, as a constant site supporter I agree this site is tops!

quote:Originally posted by Dice

Think we have enough sticky's as it is, and not enough people use them. Heck, it's hard enough to get people to search in the first place. How many times do we see the same question asked over and over. A day doesn't go by that you don't see one that's been asked 100 times. Doing what you asked would just make using the search engine that much more frustrating, IMO. It would increase the heits on the search for handlebars, making one have to weed through that much more. Like my grandpa used to tell me, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

quote:Originally posted by ohiomike

I never have a problem with searches.. I think the key is to try more than once. Thankyou Carnee and Steve and Ed and JP for such a great site.

bore_pig 10-27-2007 10:21 AM

I like the idea. Maybe all we could use is a change of the search function though. Say you want to search the tech forum for AIS. Lets make it so you only get results for the tech forum. Currently the results would include all forums, like say the welcome mat, where someone listed it as a part on their new bike.

I realize that it's possible to jump ahead by pages to the tech forum after a search, but to do that you are just guessing what page to jump to.

Wow! I just read back through what I just typed and confused myself! [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]

jmorriis92 10-27-2007 10:28 AM

I like the idea of the "sticky" but I know I do it myself, asking questions that I could search to find the answer. I think a big thing for me is that I want to get the go-ped off my name and more than likely every question I have or comment I have has been talked about and researched. So if I searched for the topic instead of asking I would have 0 posts. But by far this is the best motorcycle 4m I have been on by far. I want to thank everyone for all the great ideas that are one here and all of the info.

darkstar 10-27-2007 10:43 AM

The "Search" Feature works fine for myself and a lot of other members who actually use it as it was designed to be used, as a tool. At times I have to work a little to find what I might need, but it works, so I do not uinderstand why you find it a must do to label every subject as a sticky that really is a frequently asked question. This forum pretty much police's itself. New members ask frequest questions, older members answer those questions. This will continue to cycle itself and work itself out in the end. The Sticky is for Important Topics, not frequently asked questions. This forum is not perfect, but it is far from being a failure. I like the way it is set up and constant improvement in little stages has worked out just fine.

ydoc 10-27-2007 11:32 AM

As a "back-again" newbie, one of the things I LIKE about the SEARCH feature is that it allows me to see NEW posts on the topic (to see if there have been any new developments), as well as OLD posts (sometimes the "old-way" works just as well).

For me... if the sticky's there, great. If not, then I find the search feature works too. Not to mention that sometimes I also find articles of interest that maybe didn't address my specific search needs.

As an earlier poster stated... thanks to the MODS for all their hard work and dedication!! [[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]]

fcwarrior 10-27-2007 11:58 AM

Yup, this site is definitely an amazing resource. I just did a search for 'camshaft' since it's in AW's list and came up with 103 topics. I can see how something like this in the FAQ section might potentially be a great extra resource but it would involve a lot of work to set up and maintain. It might take up too much extra bandwidth also. I know I get a little frustrated with the search results sometimes so perhaps it will help.

arizonawarrior 10-27-2007 01:26 PM

Well, actually it is possible to search just the Tech forum, just select it up above on the search page. The problem is knowing if what you want is in the Tech forum, which is why we all end up having to search all forums as part of the effort.

I'm not sure why this topic this year is generating so much negative feedback. Its sorta upsetting actually, which surprises me. Maybe its because I respect the guys who are against it. Anyway this was on my reminder-list because I promised last spring to help with this but I've changed my mind. There's plenty of members with the knowledge to do this and it DOESN'T COST ANYONE ANYTHING.

If those of you who see benefit decide to move ahead, I agree it would be helpful to have that one Sticky in the Tech section but even that isn't necessary. All you need is a topic to house the component names (some version of the list posted above) and then you just need to start a topic named that component (like "Integrated Topic: Rear Tires") and copy/paste a link for the topic into the list. Anyone else can open the master topic, click a link to jump to the rear tires topic, read what has already been written, then add to it or ask a question.

Those of you who see the huge benefits realize there's no maintenance needed because those who post about rear tires in a different spot are not affected at all. Those who post in the rear tire forum with the right Subject key word will have immediate access to an entire discussion in which most of the questions asked 100+ times a month are already there. I'd bet we can get to the next level with this structure.

quote:Originally posted by bore_pig

I like the idea. Maybe all we could use is a change of the search function though. Say you want to search the tech forum for AIS. Lets make it so you only get results for the tech forum. Currently the results would include all forums, like say the welcome mat, where someone listed it as a part on their new bike.

I realize that it's possible to jump ahead by pages to the tech forum after a search, but to do that you are just guessing what page to jump to.

Wow! I just read back through what I just typed and confused myself! [img]/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]