Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2019, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust

My quest for adding baffles to my Bubs Jug Huggers has not gone well. So, I started looking at a new exhaust that won't wake the neighbors.

If you go Amazon and search for Cobra Speedster Swept Exhaust Chrome 2222 you will find that it is available directly from Cobra for $553.07.

That's a good deal.

But if you click on the bold, blue font "New (9)" you will see it is available from 9 different sellers. The first one is Phat Performance Parts.

I've ordered from them before and now understand that a lot of items they advertise they do not physically have in stock... you order from them and they then order it from their supplier. However, they have updated their website so it shows if they have it in stock or not. So I went to PhatPerformanceParts.com and verified they have it in stock.

Interestingly, on Amazon it is $485.05. Directly on Phat's website it would cost $769.99.

I ordered it through Amazon, from Phats, for $485.05. There is still a lot that can go wrong here... will I get a set of Cobra Swept pipes for a Warrior or a harley sportster? Will they be in perfect condition or will they have a ding or two?

If it all works out then I will have a new Cobra Swept exhaust for $485.05... no shipping fees, no tax collected.

They are supposed to be delivered early next week (April 1 - 4) so I will update as soon as I get them.
DirtieGirtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2019, 03:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

Fingers crossed ..... hope that works well. Keep us in the loop.
Thommy_STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

That is a great deal! I run this exhaust on my 2003 RSW and find it just right for the noise/performance I was looking for. Easy installation and great looks to! I think you will be very happy with them.
Rg
InfidelXV1700pcr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2019, 09:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfidelXV1700pcr View Post
That is a great deal! I run this exhaust on my 2003 RSW and find it just right for the noise/performance I was looking for. Easy installation and great looks to! I think you will be very happy with them.
Rg
Thanks, RG!

Hurdle 1 has been cleared - I was wondering if they would actually ship or I would get a notice saying the seller cancelled the order. They have officially been shipped via UPS, supposed to arrive on Tuesday.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Update: I got home at 5:00 and the UPS driver rang the doorbell around 5:05. According to the box, which looks to be original sealed condition, it's the correct exhaust. Unfortunately work is killing me this week so I don't even know if I'll be able to take it out of the box till the weekend.

I tried to upload the attached pictures to my album and then post the links... I continue to have trouble... Hopefully AW will help me get my pic problems sorted out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	214044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg
Views:	48
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	214046  
Old 04-02-2019, 10:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

That is Great!! And that is the correct box for sure. Now, get that box open and check out your new pipes! (FYI: make sure all the mounting hardware is there).
I found installation to be very straight forward if you follow the instructions. Good luck and post up when you get them on.
Rg
Old 04-04-2019, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well, I had a little time this evening so I tried to take the current exhaust off the bike. I figured I would start with the rear pipe.

I f'ed it up.

I broke the screw off.

I tried to use an EZ out... didn't budge. I drilled a hole right down the middle of it, then tried the EZ out again... no dice. I coulnd't get vice grips on the back of the screw hanging out the back (there was maybe 3/16" hanging out) so I took the exhaust joint (the very short pipe on the rear cylinder... what a pain in the ass it was to take that thing off, but I did it. But it was no use. I couldn't get anything to grip it. I even tried to crush the remaining bi tof screw in my vice, but it just rolled out of the vice when I tried to turn it. I put a torch to it and tried again... nothing. The f'ing thing wouldn't budge.

At this point I calmly considered my options and figured that the pipe may have gotten distorted by this time as well as the fact that even if I got the remaining bit of screw out (which wasn't going to happen) that the threads were probably toast. So I calmly tried to 'wish' the thing to return to the bike in it's original form... by smashing it with a hammer.

Turns out that didn't do much.

So I just ordered a new exhaust joint (literally a 4" exhaust tube which I believe is aluminum based on how it fractured under duress of my hammer) to the tune of $140. Any savings I got by finding this 'great deal' on a new cobra exhaust is now flushed down the drain... or more appropriately, that money is now in partzilla's hand.

I f'ing hate it when I can't do something. I get even madder when I can't correct my own screw up.

GRRRR!!!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Are you talking about the rear header bolt?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

LeaderDuece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

DG,

Dude, it will be ok. Maybe use a little penetrating oil on the thing and let it sit for an hour or so, and try the easy out again. You are indeed correct that these things do get distorted from the heat and vibes as well as the exposure to the elements.
You got this and will look back on it and laugh once it is removed. I hope you achieve success and put that hammer away!!!
Rg
Old 04-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderDuece View Post
Are you talking about the rear header bolt?
The rear cylinder head has 2 two sided studs in it. One side of the stud goes into the head. The other sticks out and attaches to a 4" pipe. Then a nut holds the pipe against the cylinder head. It's item #1 in the attached picture.

The other side of that 4" pipe (which yamaha calls the 'exhaust joint') is where your exhaust pipes connect. It's a threaded hole where the bolt that holds the exhaust pipe.

I was a moron the last time I had my exhaust off and put a chromed bolt in that hole... the original was a little rusty and I thought, "Hey, I have this chrome bolt that is the same size!" My guess is you all already know not to use chromed bolts on things that get really hot. I now know that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfidelXV1700pcr View Post
DG,

Dude, it will be ok. Maybe use a little penetrating oil on the thing and let it sit for an hour or so, and try the easy out again. You are indeed correct that these things do get distorted from the heat and vibes as well as the exposure to the elements.
You got this and will look back on it and laugh once it is removed. I hope you achieve success and put that hammer away!!!
Rg
Thank you, Infidel. Unfortunately I think you missed the part where I may have unintentionally modified it and thus lessened its ability to act as a pipe. I.e. I hulk smashed it. I might bring it to the range tomorrow and see if I can use another 'tool' to get the screw out.

The replacement is on order. It is supposed to ship on Monday.

Thank you all for listening to my therapy session. In the heat of the moment last night it seemed like the only thing of any importance was getting that f'ing bolt out. Now, talking through it, I realize it's not the end of the world... it's a $150 mistake that is going to force me to ride my VTX1300 for a week till I get the warrior back on the road... oh the humanity! #firstworldproblems
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Part1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	214162  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Marketplace > Items on eBay Craigslist and Similar