2005 Warrior midnight bagger in Indiana 6,000 Obo - Page 2 - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2018, 11:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I like how those bags look and the fit the warrior well....
Would like to k nw how n what was needed to get them mounted on the warrior

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliments guys...

Getting the bags to sit just right took a couple of trials, and about 5 cereal boxes...
I mocked them up by placing them on jack-stands and 5 gallon buckets to get the height, then as far as spacing I wanted them as close to the bike as I could get them...
You can't put them ANY closer unless you were to use a different type of hinge. The way the side mounted clam shell hinge works is on an arc meaning the inside front and rear of the bags get closer to the bike as they are opened...
Any closer and they would drag on the front and back edges when opening or closing.

Pics of one of the original mock ups.

The brackets are just flat stock with some simple bends. I made a template for the (side wall) part closest to the sub frame and the entire bottom of each bag.

The rear fender on the Silverado must not be as wide as the one on the warrior. There is some wasted space cut out of the left bag (from the factory) to give clearance for the rear sprocket, only about half of which is needed with the warrior, but I wanted a "lockable" factory styled or shaped bag and with Yamaha there just aren't many options. My 16" Dell laptop and backpack will fit in either side.

I asked a few people here and on other forums with removable bags and 95% of them never took them off, after they installed them, except for cleaning, or maintenance, so no point in making them easily detachable.
As you can see from my pink Styrofoam "road" I did not want the bags to be the limiting factor when leaning... I have scraped the pegs a couple of times, and the bags didn't touch. (My other bike is a Supermoto)

Desertboy,
With imagination and a welder there isn't much that can't be done... I'm just a normal guy...

I used the existing holes in the sub frame / seat rest and hung two pieces of flat stock down vertically, and angled them back so they were more in the center of the bags. The ones on the left side needed a couple of bends made to follow the inside of the recess for the drive cut out. After getting those two "straps" where I wanted them I held up my two pieces of steel (inner and floor) for the bags, and tacked them in place. It took a few tries to get it where I wanted, but the end result is way better and stronger than any bolt on kit stuff I had seen (EZ Brackets, and others). As far as cutting the support pieces. I literally placed the saddle bag on top of the thin cardboard (a few cereal boxes taped together to make one piece large enough), and traced around them. Cereal box can be cut with scissors, or tin snips, now that you have your templates fitting the way you want trace it out onto thin sheet metal, and cut it out with a jigsaw. Just remember to allow time and patience to test fit it about 30 times then take it all apart to powder coat and paint, and hope it all goes back together how it came apart...

I had seen some horror stories of guys supporting the ebay bags only by strips of steel and over time the bags would tend to sag, so I put full support underneath and between the bike and the bags so the inside of the bags could rest against, on and attach to.

If y'all have any more questions feel free to ask.
Josh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Warrior mock up bags rear.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	211976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Warrior Bags mock up cornering clearance.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	211978  
V&H long shots
DLX Products controls
Power commander
Barons BAK
J10on4ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 07:46 PM   #13 (permalink)

Dropped the price to 5000 or best offer.

I found a corvette, the wife says I canít have both.
V&H long shots
DLX Products controls
Power commander
Barons BAK

Old 08-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #14 (permalink)

Price dropped again 4500

This bike needs a new rider.
V&H long shots
DLX Products controls
Power commander
Barons BAK
Old Today, 03:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Nice technical write-up on the hard bag Installation & photos!GLWS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Marketplace > Classifieds - For Sale > Motorcycles For Sale