Registering Non-CA Warrior in CA - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Registering Non-CA Warrior in CA

I just recently got my Warrior and I am still going thru registration hassle at local DMV office trying to register a non-CA bike. Such a pain! First I had to come and pay registration. Now having a 1 single day permit that allows me to transport the bike or to use it on CA roads, I gotta bring the bike for "inspection". The rep at DMV starred at monitor for 20 min trying to find some info. Then said that they'll have to check it for emission...

Did anybody experience any issues registering non-Californian bike in CA? Anything I need to know before bringing the bike for inspection?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
FlySpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2018, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I didn't back in 2006 when I brought my 2004 MI (non Cali) bike to Socal ... The DMV Inspector will check for the standard DOT requirements of the Mfg year of your ride and mine searched for the engine serial number which isn't on the MI title or registration ... be sure you're wearing a DOT helmet

This is what it looked like then:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 12-10-2018 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added jpeg photo
alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

From I can remember there is a member name Request ...
He registered a M/C from out of state about a year or so ago...

Do a member search for him and send him a pm and he'll let u Knw what he had to do.

Good luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk
Desertboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-2018, 05:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Registering Non-CA Warrior in CA

My title also doesn't have the engine number. She asked me if I know it. However I didn't have a clue. Then she started reading, searching something, reading..

I scheduled an appointment for this Saturday. Just thought I would check with the forum before making a visit.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

^^^ The Engine Number is visible (Vertical orientation) stamped on the split vertical flange of the engine case. I think it can be seen from the LH side under the seat lock cover but really don't remember.

- Starting System
&

&

Old 12-10-2018, 05:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yep, I found that after checking it all over the bike. I thought first that they would be able to identify if the bike is outside of California based on the engine number. However, this is not correct. Only by checking ECU number you can tell what is what.
Doubt they at DMV know about that.

Old 12-10-2018, 07:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

^^^ All Stock Cali bikes use a Charcoal Canister mounted to the LH rider foot peg bracket.

On my '04' bike there is an OEM factory EPA label on the inside of the LH engine cover (Key-Lock Cover for Seat) which makes it useless for viewing.

- Starting System
&

&

Last edited by alanh; 12-10-2018 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added info
Old 02-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

as a AAA member, i went to a local office. they verified the VIN and engine number.
Couldn't find the EPA sticker. I see now that it's behind the left side cover which requires security torques bits to access.
the folks at AAA moved it right through. I haven't received any documents from CA gov indicating i have an issue.

DesertRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

If it is a non-CA bike, I remember that there is a minimum mileage requirement, something like 5-10k/mi ( little help from the crowd, please) . Shouldn't be much of an issue on a model not made since '09, though...

My experience with CHP inspections is that they are typically very cursory.
Bobo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

7500mi for importing any vehicle from out of state to CA.
Damronjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Ride Club > U.S. West Coast > California