Interested in Being a Thread Manager? - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Default Interested in Being a Thread Manager?

All,

There's a short-list of managed threads around this joint that we've come to rely-on over the years. Examples of helpful threads that have Managers are Great Members, EOBA, Gremlin Protection, and others. Its a commitment and a promise to keep one updated so volunteer managers usually step-up for a year or two then pass it along.

If you're an established regularly-participating member with at least 2 years and 500 or more posts under your belt then please post-up here if you are interested in helping out by regularly updating a helpful thread on a regular basis fitting your schedule.

Its possible that some managed threads will be retired meaning there would be room for someone to start a new-and-improved version on their own and see where it takes us. Others might simply be passed-along to the next manager at some point. Around here this is a position of trust, and important!

Its NOT yet time to post-up which threads might 'retire' or might be 'passed-along' but it IS time to start posting ideas of what new managed threads would be useful around this joint, and what older threads might be revived if any.

If you've been around at least 2 years then you've stumbled-across most of the active and retired managed threads, and if not then you will notice them in the future now that you're thinking about them!

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2016, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm interested in helping out in any way I can, thread manager, moderator, etc. Just let me know.
M
MMFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 12:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would gladly help but unfortunately my computer crashed and burned about 2 months ago.
madtom421 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2016, 01:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMFB View Post
I'm interested in helping out in any way I can, thread manager, moderator, etc. Just let me know.
M
+1 here

let me know what the needs are

-
Snowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Have an idea for a thread, may or may not be any interest. What if we had a thread for stories about what makes you passionate about the Warrior or riding in general? Could be a few words, or many more. To me its interesting how people became part of the moto world in general, but could also be specific to the Warrior if that is what people would rather read. Just a thought.

It's so simple to be smart. Just think of something stupid to say, and then don't say it. - Anonymous

Member #3,925. Woo Hoo!!
californiacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Some examples.

The last Popular Mods is being retired, and actually all of those mods-threads have sat un-updated for a couple years now. A lot has changed, there's new after market parts and a lot of newer photo-supported mods threads by members. So who knows maybe its time to start a fresh mods-thread, it could be named anything you want and obviously would be a lot shorter plus a new manager could organize in any way they want.

There used to be structured voting threads on specific things like tires and batteries but also some other things. Some were entitled 'vote here' if that helps find them. None of them are valid today, everything has changed. Its always helpful to see comparo numbers and how long things are lasting for others with this same bike.

I plan to update and retire the 'fuel leak' thread: https://www.rswarrior.com/forums/12-g...fuel-leak.html because we have probably already seen every possible way it can happen. After that somebody could promulgate the 'score card' into a new thread and update it occasionally.

The 'model year differences' and 'excellent example bikes' threads have not been updated for a long time. Maybe the guys who picked-up those earlier are ready to pass them along so someone else can take over with fresh perspective. Send them a PM.

Plus there's conversations happening here every week that create opportunities for established members to start their own thread and manage it. One example, think about how often the same questions are asked and maybe there's a way you can consolidate info in a spot where all members can stumble-across it and add their post to your thread.

The possibilities seem unlimited for managed threads, and the structure can be anything you want it to be . . . within the forum's software structure and rules.

One house-keeping thing. Each new Managed Thread can be made 'Sticky' at the top of it's forum listing once it gains momentum and is obviously being used by members. If a new manager accepts an established thread then their replacement thread is made sticky from the start and the old thread is un-stuck after the two are linked-together. Linking is simply adding a 'jump' link in the OP of the old thread to the new one, and a 'jump' link in the OP of the new thread to the old one. See Tomba's Popular Mods thread for an example. Moderators help the process by adding the 'Jump' link into the old OP, and by making the threads sticky or un-sticky as appropriate.

So its really up to each member to have a look around and see what you are most interested in. What will keep your attention for a couple years?

Old 04-02-2016, 02:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was wishing all the threads related to turbo charging the Warrior were in one place when I did mine. I literally read every thread on the forum I could find related to it and some of the issues others had when doing theirs. Some of the pages I read multiple times. I realize it's much different if you drop the cash and just buy a kit. But, what I learned doing mine was priceless to me. That would be a great thread!
M
MMFB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Moderator

That would be an awesome thread. It would not need much managing. One thing about Managed Threads is that when an OP starts a managed thread they can ask Mods to delete posts that are off-topic. That keeps the Managed Thread on-topic long-term. Mods would always be able to delete things that fall-short of the forum rules so no worry there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by californiacruiser View Post
Have an idea for a thread, may or may not be any interest. What if we had a thread for stories about what makes you passionate about the Warrior or riding in general? Could be a few words, or many more. To me its interesting how people became part of the moto world in general, but could also be specific to the Warrior if that is what people would rather read. Just a thought.

Old 04-02-2016, 02:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Heck yes! I could see creating a managed thread starting with your build notes and somewhere along the way including a list of all the forum URL's you used to accomplish what you accomplished. That would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMFB View Post
I was wishing all the threads related to turbo charging the Warrior were in one place when I did mine. I literally read every thread on the forum I could find related to it and some of the issues others had when doing theirs. Some of the pages I read multiple times. I realize it's much different if you drop the cash and just buy a kit. But, what I learned doing mine was priceless to me. That would be a great thread!
M

Old 04-03-2016, 07:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via Skype™ to tomba

yes i'm interested in running one important [to me at least] thread ... i'll have a think on it

meanwhile it's time to hand over the reins of the pop mods thread ...discussed it with arizona warrior...after all it was all his work ...it needs new energy

anyone interested in keeping it safe please let Az know ...he will referee this one i'm hoping

WARRIOR - OIL CHECK VIDEO
tomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > General Info > Forum News