Overdrive New 5th Gear Results - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2004, 09:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Overdrive New 5th Gear Results

Great, I just got my bike back yesturday from recall. I only added Yami HC pistons and 5th gear parts.
4NK-17151-00-00 Gear. 5th Pinion (28 tooth)
4NK 17251-00-00 Gear, 5th Wheel (21 tooth)

Results are fantastic. Before cruising at 3000 rpm meant 68 mph on my GPS. Now at 3000 rpm is 80 mph on my GPS. I noticed that the speedometer reads different than it used to. My GPS always read lower than my speedo before the recall so I would add 5 to the speed limit and figure I'm safe. Now its much closer and if anything the speedo is a little slower than my actual speed. I didn't expect this to be different, nonetheless it definatley is. My gas milage has gone way up, but this is partly due to the fact that I'm trying to be gentle for breakin. I've only been through 2 tanks, and can't give exact numbers, but normally I go about 90-95 miles before the gas light comes on. The last two tanks were both between 130-135 miles before the light came on. Again I've been easy on the gas today, but I've never gotten this many miles before. 5th gear is a great idea and worthwhile since your bike'll be torn down anyway. As soon as I can get 600 mile, I'll dyno it and get a new map for the PC3. Hopefully later this week.
Pictured:
Black 4th gears are new under the recall. The ones to the left are new 5th gears. What a difference.
New yami pistons High Comp.

*****New*****4/10 I just figured out one reason my gas milage increased so much. After recall my mechanic hooked themale/female power commander cord together instead of inline to the fuel injector. Anyway Its been running the stock fuel settings and this accounts for some of the fuel milage increase. Alittle too lean recently, but now I have a new custom map, and'll refigure my ecomony with the next few trips. When I get a copy of the map I'll post it in the maps to have forum. Anyway for now with Churchkey's V-bak,Samson Short Slashers, and HC pistons I got 89hp and 111ftlb torque.
Image Insert:

Image Insert:
whalercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Overdrive New 5th Gear Results

I thought the difference in the gears was supposed to be 6.25%, yet your mph increased 17.6%. Was anything else changed?
arwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 09:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

So are those the top gears for the roadstar? And all you had to do was replace those two gears?
ridingrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2004, 10:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thats what I heard too (6.25%), but my results were much better. I think its a perfect fit. I can tell a bigger drop in 5th gear than normal, but doesn't affect anything else(except Speedometer). I couldn't tell you what numbers have what affect, just these ones. Churchkey posted these numbers and I'm very greatful. Just changed these 2 gears with recall and boom. Overdrive. Does that mean I might be able to start a 150 club...
Old 04-04-2004, 10:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wow thats a **** of a jump in mileage. How does it feel in 5th (Does it lug the motor in the lower RPMs)?
monstrddg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Do you mind sharing the cost of the gear parts? How about any concerns your dealer might have expressed?

Thanks!
Spear Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 12:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was thinkking of doing the same thing.What is the price? What is the eta on the gears? reply asap. my bk gets the recall this wk.
sheliabragg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 01:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

That is great.[[img]/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]] The current RPM at highway speeds is definitely too short. I'm may try this. Some questions:

- How much did the gears cost?
- Did you have to buy any other parts, or were just those two gears swapped out?
- How did you ask the dealer to do the install?
- Did the dealer give you any pushback?

Thanks,
Kenwood
Kenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 07:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Gears cost me $140.00 They told me when I ordered last week, that they were available at all of Yamaha's warehouses. No telling how many they have in stock, so I'd order them now if you really want them. No extra parts, just these two gears. My dealer didn't charge me to install either the gears or the pistons, but that doesn't mean your dealer won't. It doesn't take any extra time though, since they're already there taking the 4th gear off. Just slide a new 5th on while you're at it. No concerns from my dealer, It would either fit or not, and yes it did.
Old 04-05-2004, 01:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

I love this idea.
i'm thinking of doing this.
Well worth the 140, for the buzzing to stop on the highway

Kyle
MacWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Total Recall