Rear Fender Tire Hugger - Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Rear Fender Tire Hugger

I’m not sure what the term is but I’ve seen several member warriors that has their rear fender hugging the rear tire. A mere 1/4” gap or less. Now I’ve installed an Eibach lowering spring with a higher spring rate. Add adjustable dog bones (lowering links) capable of a 4” drop and an upgraded shock, yet I’m lucky to go lower than 2”. Mainly because of bumps and bottoming the tire out on the rear fender. Are these lowered rear ends just for show or are they functional? If it is functional, how can I achieve a tire hugging rear fender? Now this is just a single rider bike that I have no intentions of putting a passenger on but I’d like too really sink that rear fender to adjust the sitting angle and to get its butt out of the air. Thank you in advance for any knowledge and input on the matter.
SUgarSkullShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2019, 07:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Lots of mods under the rear fender moving wires and using different lights out back. Some use air ride. Some change the fender. A couple went hardtail. For angle you can also be sure the forks sit max height in the trees.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by arizonawarrior; 07-10-2019 at 07:21 PM.
arizonawarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to yamaweezle

To get the look you want, you have no choice but to go hard tail, which would involve a bit of fabrication. There is no way to have that small of a gap, and expect to have suspension travel. To get the tire that deep in the fender, most guys around here go air ride. They have it aired down when parked, and raise it back up when they ride.

yamaweezle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2019, 02:01 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you both for the information. At least I now know it is just looks and not functionality unless I go hard tail which is not feasible for my back anymore unfortunately. I’ll check the height of my forks for max height. I keep trying to achieve a deep sit into the bike. The new Corbin stinger seat helps. When I had my rear fender off and just my bare stock seat pan covered with a small blanket and sitting on the frame, that was a superb seating preference. More of a feel of sitting in the bike instead of on top. A low deep rear and raised, stretched front end is the goal. Again thank you both for your info on this. It at least gives me in sight on what direction to go.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:36 AM   #5 (permalink)

There have been a couple of members over the years that have mounted the Fender to the Swing Arm retaining the rear Warrior suspension and the look you discuss.

This entails modifications to the Fender, Seat mounting, Fender Stays, swing arm etcetera

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #6 (permalink)

I was just about to suggest what AlanH suggested. Most of the pictures you see with the fender slammed on the tire are parked bikes with air ride suspension with the suspension lowered for parking and show purposes only. Once the person starts to ride he raises the suspension. The other practical ways without having to change the frame and go hardtail are one eliminate the fender and have a small rear seat suport made up but this is not very practical in the rain or two to do like AlanH suggested and make a swingarm mounted fender so that the fender moves with the tire. Also if you go with a swingarm mounted fender you also have to consider how to mount the rear of your seat. You will need some kind of support for teh seat.

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think mounting the rear fender to the swing arm may be the best option. Something I will have to tinker with as I don’t want to straight weld it to the swing arm. I’ll have to figure up a back plate for the seat that can also be a brake light mount. By taking this approach, I’ll be able to lower the bike more without the tire grind. Definitely great ideas for me to think about and tinker with. Thank you all.
Old 07-13-2019, 09:42 AM   #8 (permalink)

I did one for a guy and make brackets that attached the fender to the swingarm using the belt guard brackets as well as the brake mounting bracket on the other side. I also made a bracket to hold the rear of teh seat in place with a fiberglass inset containing LEDS for teh tail light and flashers. i also made covers for the frame where the struts attached. here are a few pictures that may help you with inspiriation and give ideas how to do it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jer7 (2).JPG
Views:	21
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	216434   Click image for larger version

Name:	jer7 (6).JPG
Views:	23
Size:	268.5 KB
ID:	216436   Click image for larger version

Name:	jer8 (1).JPG
Views:	22
Size:	258.2 KB
ID:	216438   Click image for larger version

Name:	jer8 (4).JPG
Views:	20
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	216440   Click image for larger version

Name:	jer8 (9).JPG
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	216442  

Click image for larger version

Name:	jer12 (18).JPG
Size:	273.6 KB
ID:	216444   Click image for larger version

Name:	jer13 (1).JPG
Size:	256.2 KB
ID:	216446  

Christo K
Mold your dreams into reality

christok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:07 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thumbs up

^^^^^
Very creative and nicely executed christok

- Starting System
&

&

alanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Very ingenious Christo.
Heftysmurf is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Road Star Warrior Forum : Yamaha Star Warrior Forums > Warrior Forums > Suspension and Tire Tech